Wilson Combat 380 Personal Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Wilson Combat 380 Personal Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Couldn't find any personal defense ammo locally for my new ruger lcp so I recently purchased three boxes of these - http://shopwilsoncombat.com/380-ACP/products// ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390323322.804195.jpg . The ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By itschuck
  • 2 Post By agalindo
  • 1 Post By contented

Thread: Wilson Combat 380 Personal Defense Ammo

Couldn't find any personal defense ammo locally for my new ruger lcp so I recently purchased three boxes of these - http://shopwilsoncombat.com/380-ACP/products//
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390323322.804195.jpg.

The Wilson ammo appears to be too long, hanging up in the magazine holding the follower down. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390323531.709157.jpg. If you look closely at the second image you can see the round is hung up down in the mag. I can load the magazine full but then round just fall out down the the one that hangs.

The gun/mag works flawlessly with 95 gr tmj Speer lawman ammo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390323816.190951.jpg.

It also works flawlessly with federal hydro shock hp. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390323891.271995.jpg

Here is a comparison of the Wilson on the left and the Federal HS on the right. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390324044.985264.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have a gauge to measure the overal lengths of the cartridges. Before I give Wilson a call can anyone offer thoughts on what is going on or what I may be missing?

Thanks much.

This is why we shoot several boxes of our carry ammo to check for reliability. My CZ PCR feeds almost everything flawlessly but when I tried to feed it buffalo bore penetrators they hung up 3 or 4 times a mag. They love hornady its all bullet design an your particular gun. Yo might try polishing feed ramp to a mirror finish just do not remove any metal just polish.

For a .380 I personally wouldn't bother with a hollow point. FMJ only is what I put in mine as I want to make sure it will penetrate.
    agalindo, molleur and StormRhydr like this.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

agalindo
    I agree in 380 fmj would be the best choice and what I carry in my pocket 380.
    molleur and StormRhydr like this.

The thought just occurred to me - the problem occurred with a ruger 7 round extended mag. I tried loading the Wilson ammo into the factory 6 round mag with no hang ups. Next trip to the range will verify full function.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I have ran across a lot of 380 ammo that is too long. This is for a Colt Government 380 and a LCP. I still have a ton of it from different manufactures, all JHP.
    I just put a bullet seating die for round nose 9mm in the press and barely touch the bullet. Seats it just enough to work in the mags.
    I do not recommend anyone try this because it could cause over pressure. I am very careful and watch for signs of over pressure.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    This is why we shoot several boxes of our carry ammo to check for reliability. My CZ PCR feeds almost everything flawlessly but when I tried to feed it buffalo bore penetrators they hung up 3 or 4 times a mag. They love hornady its all bullet design an your particular gun. Yo might try polishing feed ramp to a mirror finish just do not remove any metal just polish.
    Yup.

In the CZ P-01, I've found the DoubleTap JHP 9mm to be noticeably longer than every other cartridge I've ever tried. It still works wonderfully well, better (smoother, more-reliable) than everything else. But, it's definitely longer.

You never know. Unless you test and confirm it, that is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I run Wilson Combat 380 XTP through my LCP no problem. Flawless.

Plus, it's low flash. And low recoil compared to a lot of 380 rounds. Perfect for me.
    "You ask for a miracle, I give you the F.B.I."

Fill it with what works. Not worth trying to hash over with the manufacturer IMO. My favorite is HPR TMJ 100gr(Total Metal Jacket).

http://hprammo.com/product/380-auto/

Not a hollow point but it is good stuff and hard to find right now. I emptied the only local place I could find any.

Sponsored Links