Anyone heard of "RIP" ammunition?

This is a discussion on Anyone heard of "RIP" ammunition? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find it an interesting concept. It may well bear watching... G2 Research...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Anyone heard of "RIP" ammunition?

I find it an interesting concept. It may well bear watching...

G2 Research
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

mkh
    The videos mak it look pretty impressive. 6" spread for a 9mm. I would love to see the spread for .45 in 230 gr.
    gatorbait51 and oldman45 like this.

Another gimmick. The ammo splits a part and only the heavier part of the round has the FBI's required penetration of 12-18 inches. That is assuming that block is 12 inches. There is no measurement in the video. So basically you've lost the mushroom of a good bullet. You might as well just shoot FMJ.

Distinguished Member
    Just another gimmick for the mall ninja's.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I agree. That looks like something you would not want to get hit with. Sort of like a bullet/mechanical broad head. After autopsying numerous cervidae carcasses I have come to the conclusion that I would much rather get shot with a bullet than stuck with a broad head. Obviously both in a vital will kill you, but the blood loss from a broad head is such that I doubt you could make it to the operating table if you got stuck with one. I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me it would be allot harder to staunch the bleeding with such a large wound channel, which in some cases is bigger than 3" in diameter.
    gatorbait51 and drift like this.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Oh, I don't know. I wouldn't want all those fragments penetrating even 4" into my torso.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

"Transferring a deadly kinetic energy wave" quote from the latest video. Handguns are under powered, they don't have enough velocity to rip (no pun intended) flesh. So you have to rely on the primary wound cavity (the lines you see in the gel at the end). The secondary wound cavity (the explosion of ballistic gel you see) doesn't damage any tissue. The human skin is elastic, and all bullets do this under slow motion. If we were shooting a rifle, the rifle has enough velocity for the secondary wound cavity to rip tissue. To disable a threat you need to destroy tissue. So if you have to rely on the primary wound cavity, you want the biggest whole you can get (not wanting a caliber war), therefore a a good mushrooming bullet is ideal. Because it stays together hopefully hitting your target and destroying tissue.
    The little small pieces that break off, don't penetrate deep enough. They are more like splinters.

Victim: take that Mr. Violent attacker! Bang bang bang

Attacker: ow! You shot me with splinters! I'm telling mom!

Haha
    gatorbait51 and oldman45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I agree. That looks like something you would not want to get hit with. Sort of like a bullet/mechanical broad head. After autopsying numerous cervidae carcasses I have come to the conclusion that I would much rather get shot with a bullet than stuck with a broad head. Obviously both in a vital will kill you, but the blood loss from a broad head is such that I doubt you could make it to the operating table if you got stuck with one. I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me it would be allot harder to staunch the bleeding with such a large wound channel, which in some cases is bigger than 3" in diameter.
    The idea is not to kill, but to stop the attack. Doesn't matter if he makes it to the operating table or not. Does he stop the attack? Look at the Miami shooting and several other police shootings. Guys are hit with lethal shots (they will die) but are still able to pull the trigger.
    Since the video claims it loses all of its energy where it counts (first 3 inches) means it won't have enough energy to go through bones. To get to the central nervous system to incapacitate the target. Maybe not even enough to penetrate the flesh by itself. Ballistic gel can be made different ways, I wouldn't necessarily trust the salesman, the gel is pretty clear. If you look at third party test the gel is always cloudy. And is made to demonstrate as close as possible to human flesh.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

That is certainly a fine exposition of the conventional wisdom, and it certainly isn't wrong, but those fragments in the slowmo footage are penetrating. Certainly not to FBI depths, but taken together, each with its own small wound channel, I think the level of exsanguination would be extreme and fatal. That looks quite a bit more severe than splinters to me, and you're still getting your penetration with the rear wadcutter. I would rather get shot with a normal bullet than that one.

Never heard of it, I'm only interested in ammo with the word "zombie" printed somewhere on the box.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'm waiting for Zombies to get an activist, or Political Action Group and start DEMANDING that they get extra special treatment. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

I agree with Jaeger. These certainly caught my interest. Enough so that I'd like to do some personal testing with them. This is the first "gimmick" ammo that I've ever tried since they all looked lackluster. This concept looks interesting and those little "splinters" look pretty nasty.

I called the number listed to see how much they are per and order some but the guy you need to talk to (Justin at AmmoZone) isn't in at the moment.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Don't call 911, call 1911...

I suffer from chronic & incurable "Condition One"
    But I've learned to live with it.

Shallow wounds are bad. Not all shots will be at optimal angles, more than likely you'll shoot at an angle or through something and 3" of penetration is not enough if having to shoot through a shoulder. Blood bearing organs are deep inside the body. Gimmick ammo. It really doubt that other than the central core those small splinters will penetrate through light barriers.

Doesn't matter if a service pistol round dissipates all it's energy in the target or not what matters is what it does as it's losing energy. 1. Rapidly expand. 2. penetrate deep. If there bullet exits and doesn't use up all it's energy while doing this it doesn't matter. Energy dump does not wound.

The wound channel created by these rounds is not 3 or greater. It creates several shallow very small wound channels. Reliably stopping a bad guy can't be left to the "ouch" factor. [ouch that really hurts, I'll stop doing what I'm doing] a reliable stop requires on of two things. Bleed out or a CNS hit, no magic energy dump and not making the bad guy cry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I'll never try any of it, but the videos do make it look awful impressive.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links