Best Way to Store Boxes of Ammo?

This is a discussion on Best Way to Store Boxes of Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I store my boxes of ammo in steel bins. Does it matter if the boxes are laid flat (like you find in stores), or can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Best Way to Store Boxes of Ammo?

I store my boxes of ammo in steel bins. Does it matter if the boxes are laid flat (like you find in stores), or can they be stored on their sides or ends? I never really thought about it until today.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Wont matter. Government stores rounds loose in 55 gallon drums for decades with no ill effects
    StormRhydr, Aceoky and sammeow like this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Military ammo boxes.
    Aceoky likes this.

No, it doesn't matter. Store them however you want. Any side up, down, or sideways.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    In my house, I will keep them nice and safe for you. I will need to shoot some periodically to ensure they are still viable.
    fredg53, Brad426 and Sarge65 like this.

Nope, it doesnt matter. Knowledge of how a modern cartridge is constructed might be helpful. You have a metal (probably brass) hull, or cartridge. Everything else fits in it.

There is a hole in the bottom of that hull, and a primer is inserted. Then into the empty, primed hull, the powder goes in. Into the hull, after its primed, and the powder put in, comes the actual bullet, seated above the powder.

Nothing in the completed round is affected by how its lain. The powder moves around, regardless of what you do with the rounds. And thats OK. As soon as move them, the powder moves around in the rounds again. Once again, thats OK.

There is nothing in the completed rounds that would become settled in one spot because of how you stored them. Assuming they are kept dry, of course.

Distinguished Member
    Store mine in sealed ammo cans with some desiccant. All my .22lr is in the factory boxes loose, so it must not be an issue.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

You can store it at my place.

No guarantee it will still be there next week, though...

As stated, the orientation should not matter. The container and conditions is what matters. All my ammo is stored in steel ammo cans with desiccant, in a cool dry location.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    In my house, I will keep them nice and safe for you. I will need to shoot some periodically to ensure they are still viable.
    And if OutWestSystems is too far away, I will store a quantity for you as well under the same conditions
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

I keep my one and only bullet in my shirt pocket.
    Aceoky, fredg53 and flintlock62 like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Just make sure you rotate it daily while gradually increasing their angles as you would do with champagne.

You must name each round and store them in alphabetical order or they will become useless.
    RockingGlock32 and Sarge65 like this.

Gotta love the sarcasm. Thanks for the responses but I think I'll keep my own ammo here.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

Ammo is bad bullets and shells make guns do crazy things on their own. We should ban ammo!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links