Hollow point 380s that are not hollow points ?

This is a discussion on Hollow point 380s that are not hollow points ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is one I have a 380 that loves FMJ but is picky about HP rounds . It did not like CD rounds at all ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Hollow point 380s that are not hollow points ?

Here is one I have a 380 that loves FMJ but is picky about HP rounds . It did not like CD rounds at all ( very weird double feed ..) was ok with low recoil hydro shocks.

I am half thinking just carrying it with FMJ euro 380s as I know they feed and go bang

But are there any hollow point out there that look and feed like or close to FMJ rounds . I was thinking I would try power-ball or maybe golden saber .. Or any other narrower tip HP rounds to look at that are not very pricy and work?

I see what the people who owned seecamps 32 deal with

Frankly I dont mind I like the gun and it is easy to clean and fire just a bit picky about non FMJ

Thanks
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Just Something To Think About for .380 ACP
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

What is the gun?
    Freds likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Here is one I have a 380 that loves FMJ but is picky about HP rounds . It did not like CD rounds at all ( very weird double feed ..) was ok with low recoil hydro shocks.

I am half thinking just carrying it with FMJ euro 380s as I know they feed and go bang

But are there any hollow point out there that look and feed like or close to FMJ rounds . I was thinking I would try power-ball or maybe golden saber .. Or any other narrower tip HP rounds to look at that are not very pricy and work?

I see what the people who owned seecamps 32 deal with

Frankly I dont mind I like the gun and it is easy to clean and fire just a bit picky about non FMJ

Thanks
    Don't be afraid to carry FMJ's in that caliber, especially in cold weather. Most standard pressure rounds will not penetrate beyond 18", which is the maximum allowed according to the FBI protocol. If your gun can handle Flat-nosed FMJ's, that would be preferable, otherwise use a reliable round-nose.

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    What is the barrel length of your .380?

Hydra Shoks work great in my .380 and expand consistently out of a 3.5" barrel.
    However, the XTP bullet recommended by ShootingTheBull for a 2.5" barrel failed to expand when jug tested out of my 3.5" barrel.

The 102gr Golden Sabers are too heavy and don't achieve enough velocity out of a .380 to expand resulting in a pass through in almost every single test.

Gold Dots are one of the better expanding rounds, but in the .380 all the energy goes to expansion which does not leave enough for penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA1945 View Post
    Don't be afraid to carry FMJ's in that caliber, especially in cold weather. Most standard pressure rounds will not penetrate beyond 18", which is the maximum allowed according to the FBI protocol. If your gun can handle Flat-nosed FMJ's, that would be preferable, otherwise use a reliable round-nose.
    My only worry was summer and thin clothing and overpen .. But I have some flat nose 380s I think I will try to see what happens ..

Thanks
    Freds likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Take a look at Guard Dog ammunition produced by Federal. The bullet noses are flat but the material has a slick feel to it (in my estimation.)

Lightweight, High velocity, no hollow nose to hang up (also good for New Jersey).

Hey thanks for reminded me of these !

This is the sort of thing I was looking for ... Now to just find a box or two to run though ...

Thanks again

Edit great the best round for 380 that seems not to be in 380 crap

Federal Guard Dogs. They were made for guns that don't like HPs. They are a FMJ that expands. Google them.

Quote Originally Posted by TDH1961 View Post
    Federal Guard Dogs. They were made for guns that don't like HPs. They are a FMJ that expands. Google them.
    Save they dont make them in 380 .. If they do I would love a source all I see is 9mm

Pow'r'Ball seems to feed in everything, and it's been accurate in the guns I've tried it in (mostly 9mm loadings in HKs and my Nano).
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Safety-Slug-Titlebox.jpg

Glaser Safety Slugs by Corbon. Reliable feed, excellent self defense round.

Safety slugs are not any good. Shallow penetration even in larger calibers. Stick to a fmj, don't worry about over penetration, most fmj in .380 will penetrate about 16" which is in between the minimum 12 and max of 18 recommended by IWBA/FBI protocol.

Hornaday Critical defense are narrow tipped HP, with a little rubber ball inset. They feed just like FMJ in my .380 TCP.
    Kennydale, VNvet and BamaT like this.

The Remington HTP have a hollow-point profile very much like a FMJ. I did have one fail to expand in testing, but the rest expanded very well. The penetration is less than Hydra-Shok’s I have also tested.
    The Remington rounds would stop in the second gallon jug in my tests, the Federal Hydra-Shok would penetrate into the third jug and dent the back and almost penetrate to the fourth.

The Remingtons come in a 50 round box and were cheaper per round than any of the other HP ammo I found
    The Hydra-Shok's are my carry load in my Bersa Thunder Combat EDC.

IMG_5589sml.jpg
    IMG_5706sml.jpg
    NickBurkhardt likes this.

FYI penetration in water will be about 1 1/2 times that of tissue or ballistics gel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links