will availability of .22 come back around?

This is a discussion on will availability of .22 come back around? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This over 1 year crunch is the first ammo shortage I've paid any attention to. Thinking of getting a .22 pistol, but fearful of the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: will availability of .22 come back around?

This over 1 year crunch is the first ammo shortage I've paid any attention to. Thinking of getting a .22 pistol, but fearful of the continual hunt for long rifle. For those of you who have weathered these storms before will it get better and what are your predictions for time?

Distinguished Member
    You know, I'm beginning to wonder.
    Aceoky, glockman10mm and halem1 like this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I am very doubtful.
    I just bought a Henry Lever Action so I hope I'm wrong.
    Badey likes this.

Be patient. The hoarders will eventually get their fill. I get notices from sites daily that it is in but its sold out as soon as the notice hits. Greedy people are the ones hurting us.
    Lee 1973, fredg53 and flintlock62 like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I think it's going to be at least another year before it does, and that's assuming nothing else happens to make it worse again.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

My next planned gun purchase was a plinker (probably another Ruger), but I, too, I very reluctant to make the purchase. Despite my ongoing search to locate 9mm, I have yet to find any .22LR available anywhere. Even at the big gun show in Hampton VA last weekend.....pretty much empty. I see no end in site for .22, which I find somewhat odd, as it's not a good SD round at all.
    Operation Joint Endeavor, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1995-96)
    SFOR, Stabilization Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina, US Army, 1st Armored Div (1997-98)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom, Iraq, US Army, 3rd Infantry Div (2007-08)
    Operation Enduring Freedom, Horn of Africa, US Army (2010)

I think it's coming around. Just got an email from Cabelas that a shipment of Federal .22LR that I ordered 13-14 months ago was finally shipped. It has sure been a long dry spell though. Never once have I had problems finding .22 shorts, longs or magnums to use in my Ruger Single-Six convertible. There is always something to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Be patient. The hoarders will eventually get their fill. I get notices from sites daily that it is in but its sold out as soon as the notice hits. Greedy people are the ones hurting us.
    I'm not so sure. The hoarders might eventually fade away, but as long as guys can buy out Wal-Mart on Friday morning then sell for a profit on-line, it'll be a while. That's if nothing untoward happens. If there's another Sandy Hook tragedy all bets are off.
    BugDude and amendment4 like this.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

There's plenty of 22 around if people would stop hoarding it and buying it all up to scalp at ridiculous prices.
    357and40 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Check out this page everyday religiously:

Find 22lr Ammo in stock | WikiArms - Live Ammo Inventory Tracking
    Aceoky likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Until after next President is elected and if is Hilary it will go on

Senior Member Array oldranger53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLessPrius View Post
    This over 1 year crunch is the first ammo shortage I've paid any attention to. Thinking of getting a .22 pistol, but fearful of the continual hunt for long rifle. For those of you who have weathered these storms before will it get better and what are your predictions for time?

Don't worry about getting a new .22 anything.
    .22's are once again on the shelves here in SW Montana, not as much as in earlier days, but they're returning.
    The .22 is stalwart and everybody likes them, even if a great many folks brow-beat the seeming lack of power they exude. I haven't done any panic buying of the .22 rounds, yet, but then, I only have one .22 rifle at the moment. I still have a couple hundred rounds from just before the last big crunch blew through the landscape.
    Just go ahead and get yer new .22 pistol. You won't be sorry, really.
    OR53
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Go to Gunbot.net. you can have it notify you when the ammo you are looking for is available. You can also set price limits.
    Right now 500 rnds for $68 it's there but it might be pricey.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    My thoughts.

It'll come around... I'm seeing it more and more. Once people stop flooding the stores and paying high re-sale prices, things will get back to normal.

The first thing that needs to happen is for people to STOP paying outrageous prices.

Once this happens, the people selling at outrageous prices will not make the effort once their stash starts piling up (keep in mind, they probably don't even have a .22).

At this point things will get better, and it already is starting... They're making incredible amounts of 22 ammo, it's just going to take a while to see the levels we were used to seeing.

I have bought thousands of rounds of .22 ammo SINCE sandy hook. And I have not paid above normal prices for any of it. It can be done, though its lots harder to do after sandy hook.

Funny, but my two best walmart finds were when others were around the ammo case, but didnt seem to know what was right out in the open in the display case. I found, (and bought), two boxes of 1K rounds of .22 Lr on one occassion (it was all they had), and on Xmas eve, I found 5 boxes, 325 rounds each of Federal automatch, just sitting in the display case, and people all around it, at the time.

I told the clerk that I wanted three boxes of it. And one guy standing there did a double take, noticing it, and says "Me too!". I got 3 boxes, he got the two that were left.

I made one guys day. He was staring blankly into the ammo case, (mostly empty of anything anyone would want), and there was a box of 525 rounds of .22 sitting there. I pondered buying them, but they were $25 or so, and that seemed way too high for me. I commented on that to that guy, and he wakes up and sees them.

He was the happiest fellow in the store when I just walked off, and he got to buy them, lol.
    357and40 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links