Radially Dynamic Bullets?

This is a discussion on Radially Dynamic Bullets? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So the RIP ammo thread made me remember these things. i first saw them at least a few years ago. i like that at least ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By DingBat
  • 2 Post By DingBat
  • 2 Post By Recon1342
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By DingBat

Thread: Radially Dynamic Bullets?

So the RIP ammo thread made me remember these things. i first saw them at least a few years ago. i like that at least their data is presented in a little more palatable manner...

so what do ya'll think? i know nothing about these except what i've read here, seems ok in theory, but we all know what that means....

.45 ACP Devel 155gr Radically Dynamic Solid Alloy Prototype Bullet Cartridge
    Kennydale likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Nasty. Wonder how they'd feed....the THV's. The Devel.....357 dynamics in a 45 ACP. Interesting.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

agalindo
    One fault in the design. Service pistol velocities are not high enough to cause TC tearing now matter what the bullet shape is.

Quote Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
    One fault in the design. Service pistol velocities are not high enough to cause TC tearing now matter what the bullet shape is.
    i've seen you post about this more than once now, i am curious, is this an accross the board fact? meaning; muscle is much "tougher" than say, veins and arteries. cartelidge is "tougher" than muscle. But that same "stiffness" of cartelidge means it will be easier to "disrupt". (hardness vs. elasticity)

as my understanding of temporary wound cavities goes(and i could be completely wrong, that's why i'm asking) it is bruising, rapid bruising. i have heard it called "hydrostatic shock".

i have heard that hydrostatic shock may cause temporary paralysis if the spinal cord is "bruised" during one of these events.

So violent destruction of tissue it is not, requireing surgical repair, it does not.

but i wonder if temporary cavities may have more effect than you are giving them credit for.

Now, i am not arguing with you, i do not know these things as an expert. i am asking if you can validate your claims and perhaps provide some documentation?

again, not arguing but would like to be better informed.
    Recon1342 and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    The hard part about coming up with good wound data is getting enough info to make a viable study. Accepted terminal ballistic logic states that you will not see hydrostatic shock until you reach long barreled magnum velocity, I.E. .357 mag out of a 6" or longer barrel. The faster the bullet is moving, the more disruption it will cause; but keep in mind that velocity is only part of the equation. Bullet weight and size/shape also factor in... As do inertia, and energy. All of this together makes it difficult to quantify the effects of temporary cavity. If you get a CNS or vital (heart) hit, TC becomes moot. Another school of thought posits that TC is a result of bullet shape, and has little to do with velocity. So, caveat emptor, so to speak...

This is about the best summary (key word) of terminal ballistics I was able to find...
    Terminal Ballistics
    Nmuskier and Kavalander like this.
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agalindo View Post
    ^^^This is widely supported by many independent empirical sources.
    Temporary wound cavities become relevant as you cross the 2,000+ fps mv range. It is dependent upon many variables, but that is a start (not an absolute line, just a starting point)

The words "radical" and "dynamic" are (when used standing alone) neither technical or scientific terms. In this example, they are MARKETING terms intended to sound like engineering validity. It might as well be "new" and "improved". Me? I give "zombie killer" much more credence.
    N.M. Edmands and Nmuskier like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The words "radical" and "dynamic" are (when used standing alone) neither technical or scientific terms. In this example, they are MARKETING terms intended to sound like engineering validity. It might as well be "new" and "improved". Me? I give "zombie killer" much more credence.
    not arguing with your attack of marketing gimmicks, but it was RADIALLY DYNAMIC, not RADICAL. which *might* be proper engineering lingo.

Thanks Kavalander, appreciate your literal admonishment. But remember, I actually READ (most of) your record-setting, long-winded, magniloquent, verbose, erudite posts. I trust you'll now equally appreciate my proof-reading skills. En garde!
    Brad426 and Kavalander like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Thanks Kavalander, appreciate your literal admonishment. But remember, I actually READ (most of) your record-setting, long-winded, magniloquent, verbose, erudite posts. I trust you'll now equally appreciate my proof-reading skills. En garde!
    ouch. busted!
    ghost tracker and Brad426 like this.

Sponsored Links