45colt for SD?

This is a discussion on 45colt for SD? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the best What is the best SD rd. for the 45longcolt in with a 3.5in. barrel.? A 250gr. cowboy load or a HP?...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By TRAD1
  • 1 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By flintlock62
  • 1 Post By TRAD1
  • 2 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By ShootingTheBull
  • 1 Post By TRAD1
  • 4 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By 40Bob
  • 1 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By ShootingTheBull
  • 1 Post By dangerranger

Thread: 45colt for SD?

45colt for SD?

What is the best

What is the best SD rd. for the 45longcolt in with a 3.5in. barrel.? A 250gr. cowboy load or a HP?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

IMO any service caliber will do just fine....

What is the best SD rd. for the 45longcolt in with a 3.5in. barrel.? A 250gr. cowboy load or a HP?[/QUOTE]
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Ruger Black Hawk, or Colt. Black Hawks are stronger than the Colts, but need trigger work. I good smithy can make the Black Hawk a fine gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I,m using a BondArms derringer with a 45colt barrel only,not the 45/410.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

If you are asking about guns, I would go with a Colt or S&W double-action revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel. My .45 Colts are all single-action revolvers. If you are asking about ammo, I prefer the Hornady 225 grain FTX. CorBon and Buffalo Bore have some +P ammo that gets up to .44 magnum levels.
    bmcgilvray and gatorbait51 like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

I tested Gold Dot 250-grain .45 Colt rounds from two different barrel lengths. From a 6.5" barrel, they were magnificent. From a 2" barrel Judge, they mainly failed to expand. But, you have to factor in the Judge's cylinder length into the equation, so it's really the equivalent (power-wise) to a 3" barrel.

So my question to the OP is: when you say 3.5" barrel, you're talking about a conventional .45 Colt revolver with a 3.5" barrel, right? Not a Judge? Because if it's for a Judge with a 3.5" barrel, the Gold Dots would be ideal. But if it's from a conventional pistol with a 3.5" barrel, I would avoid the Gold Dots.

I'm still doing testing on PDX1 and Critical Defense from the shorter-barrel Judge, but right now, until that testing is complete, I'd say that either of those would be a better choice from that barrel length than the Gold Dots were.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have a Bondarms 3.5 in. derringer with a 45LC barrel. Whats a better SD round FN 250gr. or a HP????
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAD1 View Post
    I have a Bondarms 3.5 in. derringer with a 45LC barrel. Whats a better SD round FN 250gr. or a HP????
    It's a 45, so it doesn't matter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Either, I doubt it will deform anyway from a derringer.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

It likely won't matter in a derringer. I read a magazine review of the .45/70 derringer many years ago. The target at three yards showed rounds key-holed. The bullets went through the target sideways. The author commented that was not necessarily a bad thing for close range self-defense.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Okay, see, that changes everything. A derringer doesn't measure the barrel the same way as a revolver does. So with the derringer, you're looking at about the same performance as you'd get from a 2" revolver.

I think 40Bob is probably on target there, velocities are likely to be so slow from a derringer that you may not get expansion. A .45 doesn't really *need* expansion to make a big hole, so you may be okay with a big ol' flatnose. If you could find a wadcutter, that would probably be the ideal defensive round from that derringer.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I too have a derringer in 45 colt. It is punishing to shoot! The back of the trigger hits you in the knuckle every time. Almost everyone wants to try it out but no one has asked to shoot it twice! I shoot mine with 160 grain cowboy action loads. I have not tried a penetration test but they will move a steel sillohete pretty well! DR
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm another who questions any concerns about bullet expansion and the .45 Colt. A large and heavy .45 Colt slug already has much "swat-'em." Who cares if it doesn't expand?! Along with the .45 ACP and the .44 Special, the .45 Colt makes up a triumvirate of quite possible the very best balanced and effective close range anti-personnel handgun rounds ever fielded. I know I'd rather have one of these three over even the 125 grain .357 Magnum load if I absolutely had to reliably stop someone or something.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm running Winchester,225 grain, Silvertip hollow points in my Bond .45 Colt. Agree with others on the flat out advantage of a large moderate velocity round, producing a big hole, in spite of ability to expand, to put a hurt on perp.

Links