Defensive Carry banner

45colt for SD?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Pete63 
#1 ·
What is the best

What is the best SD rd. for the 45longcolt in with a 3.5in. barrel.? A 250gr. cowboy load or a HP?

#2 ·
IMO any service caliber will do just fine....

What is the best SD rd. for the 45longcolt in with a 3.5in. barrel.? A 250gr. cowboy load or a HP?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: gatorbait51
#5 ·
If you are asking about guns, I would go with a Colt or S&W double-action revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel. My .45 Colts are all single-action revolvers. If you are asking about ammo, I prefer the Hornady 225 grain FTX. CorBon and Buffalo Bore have some +P ammo that gets up to .44 magnum levels.

#6 ·
I tested Gold Dot 250-grain .45 Colt rounds from two different barrel lengths. From a 6.5" barrel, they were magnificent. From a 2" barrel Judge, they mainly failed to expand. But, you have to factor in the Judge's cylinder length into the equation, so it's really the equivalent (power-wise) to a 3" barrel.

So my question to the OP is: when you say 3.5" barrel, you're talking about a conventional .45 Colt revolver with a 3.5" barrel, right? Not a Judge? Because if it's for a Judge with a 3.5" barrel, the Gold Dots would be ideal. But if it's from a conventional pistol with a 3.5" barrel, I would avoid the Gold Dots.

I'm still doing testing on PDX1 and Critical Defense from the shorter-barrel Judge, but right now, until that testing is complete, I'd say that either of those would be a better choice from that barrel length than the Gold Dots were.

#10 ·
It likely won't matter in a derringer. I read a magazine review of the .45/70 derringer many years ago. The target at three yards showed rounds key-holed. The bullets went through the target sideways. The author commented that was not necessarily a bad thing for close range self-defense.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#12 ·
I too have a derringer in 45 colt. It is punishing to shoot! The back of the trigger hits you in the knuckle every time. Almost everyone wants to try it out but no one has asked to shoot it twice! I shoot mine with 160 grain cowboy action loads. I have not tried a penetration test but they will move a steel sillohete pretty well! DR

#13 ·
I'm another who questions any concerns about bullet expansion and the .45 Colt. A large and heavy .45 Colt slug already has much "swat-'em." Who cares if it doesn't expand?! Along with the .45 ACP and the .44 Special, the .45 Colt makes up a triumvirate of quite possible the very best balanced and effective close range anti-personnel handgun rounds ever fielded. I know I'd rather have one of these three over even the 125 grain .357 Magnum load if I absolutely had to reliably stop someone or something.

#14 ·
I'm running Winchester,225 grain, Silvertip hollow points in my Bond .45 Colt. Agree with others on the flat out advantage of a large moderate velocity round, producing a big hole, in spite of ability to expand, to put a hurt on perp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.