9mm

9mm

This is a discussion on 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I have a 9mm S&W Sigma I was wanting to know if anyone knows how a 135 gr bullet works in them as far ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 9mm

Post 9mm

Hello
    I have a 9mm S&W Sigma
    I was wanting to know if anyone knows how a 135 gr bullet works in them as far as the feeding
    I was using 115 gr and had trouble with them jamming
    Thank you

VIP Member
    Can't answer your particular question, but welcome to the forum.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Well it should feed fine but so should the 115 gr. Sigmas are usually pretty reliable. Triggers suck but usually very reliable.

By the way, how old is your Sigma? The earlier ones were plagued with problems but they seemed to have gotten all of those problems worked out.
    Owner/Instructor of Make Ready Defensive Training
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

Is it all 115gr ammo or just one brand? Have you tried other brands? I know several folks with Sigmas and I have an SD9 myself (which is very similar, maybe identical) and don't know of anyone having problems with feeding. Not saying nobody has, just nobody i know. I have ran probably 1500-2000 rounds through mine with only the very occasional hiccup.

The sw 40 and sw9ve I had would feed anything you put in them in the proper caliber.

That said both liked to run a bit wetter as far as lube than most. Never had a hiccup out of either though.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Two of my sons had Sigmas, both fed 115s and 124s very well. Both used Winchester White box, if that helps. DR

I had one, sold it a few months back. It never once had problems, and I fed it all different bullet weights and both brass and steel cased ammo. Never once a hiccup. Good gun for the money.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

My 40 would digest anything you fed it. Didn't have a finicky bone in it's body.
    Kentucky Dept of Criminal Justice Training Certified Firearms Instructor in Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapons
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

Sigmas are not known to fail at all. When I first got my 5906 it failed a couple of times and I found that I needed to toughen my grip a little more. My suggestion would be not to change the ammo untill you try everything else including the cleaning method and your mechanics. It worked for me.
    Nmuskier likes this.

VIP Member
    My SW9VE eats anything from Russian garbage 115/124RN to 115/127/147 in RN and any HP you could imagine from any of the American brands/Fiocchi, anything.
    They are not the least bit finicky.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have heard from many knowledgeable people, that ammo should always over 120 gr whenever possible. Even revolvers.
    Many feeding problems have been cured with this simple rule.
    It has worked for me more than once, but can't explain why.

I like to put 2-300 rds of heavy range ammo through new firearms to help machine e/thing together.
    Oftentimes, I can see where excess metal has been scraped away, when cleaning.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Something's still wrong. It should digest the 115 easily. Those pistols are just not picky on ammo.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

Agreed, I've gone the Sigma route and had no trouble with 115 gr - at least, no trouble I didn't also have with any other round, mostly brass going down my shirt every range trip.

If you try a few brands and all 115 gr has the same problem, I'd suggest calling the maker for help and possibly ordering a new recoil spring assembly. I think they run something like $12, if they don't just send it to you free. A problem gun from S&W is better than a problem gun from most companies, because you get to call S&W to fix the problem.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Larry, can you give us some more info. What type of ammo. How many Failure to Feeds per magazine. Are you having FTF with more than one magazine? Check that your magazines are properly seated. Are you a new shooter? sometimes limp wristing can cause problems especially with lighter bullets. Give us as much detail as possible. Thanks.
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Recruiter
    www.MakeReadyDefense.com

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wysh View Post
    Sigmas are not known to fail at all. When I first got my 5906 it failed a couple of times and I found that I needed to toughen my grip a little more.
    I do not own a Sigma, but being a polymer gun, this is my first instinct. Even the über reliable Glocks can be forced into a limp wristed failure. It's tough to admit, but sometime we just need to go back to basics. Get a firm, two handed, overlapping grip. See if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links