45 ballistics

45 ballistics

This is a discussion on 45 ballistics within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was hoping someone could help me with a link of 45 acp performance records. im considering just carrying 230 grain in all my 45 ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 45 ballistics

45 ballistics

I was hoping someone could help me with a link of 45 acp performance records. im considering just carrying 230 grain in all my 45 sizes. im not concerned about the 45 overpenetrating since the round was designed not to even in the FMJ but I want a hollowpoint that can help put a little more trauma in tissue. can anyone help?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Winchester Ranger T or Federal HST are fantastic rounds.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I use speer gold dot 230's in my 1911
    40Cal365 and Rockymonster like this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Ballistics in Speer gold dot hollow points are good in all calibers,you can see these test done in clear ballistic gel on brass fetcher on YouTube.i carry 165gr in my m&p 40 and 124gr in my m&p shield9 and both have performed flawless for me.

The ranger t are not that great esp when going thru the denim test, they all plug up and fail to expand... HST is what ya want..

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

PDX1, HS, Hydroshock, Gold Dot any of them will do what you want IMO - more important is IF your .45 will function flawlessly with the one you choose - it should with at least one (or more) of these
    sensei2 and WrongRecroom like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

I have stepped down from 230 gr to 185 gr from Doubletap or 200 gr from Corbon. Picked up the velocity a bit resulting in more energy delivered. If you want to stay at the 230 gr level, the Federal HST is hard to beat!
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    I was hoping someone could help me with a link of 45 acp performance records.
    Ballistics By The Inch.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As many have said here, stick with premium 230 gr. JHPs by the larger ammo makers -Federal/ATK/Speer (HSTs and Gold Dots), Winchester (PDX1s and Ranger T-series), Hornady, (XTPs) and Remington (Golden Sabers)- and you will do just fine.

The .45ACP 230 gr. FMJ @ 835 fps is good for about 24-26 inches of penetration in most cases, so I'd say that it is capable of tremendous penetration, but if that is what you are comfortable with then so be it. Perhaps you live in an unpopulated area where such concerns aren't an issue?
    sensei2 likes this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

VIP Member
    I'm partial to Winchester PDX1 230gr JHP. I can see and feel a difference between it and a run-of-the-mill 230gr round when shooting junk on my land. Although I'm struggling to think of a 230gr JHP that I wouldn't be fine with carrying.

The beauty of a .45 230gr is that it doesn't have to be tweaked and hot-rodded in order to get the performance of a .45 230gr.
    novaX522 and deadguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    I was hoping someone could help me with a link of 45 acp performance records. im considering just carrying 230 grain in all my 45 sizes. im not concerned about the 45 overpenetrating since the round was designed not to even in the FMJ but I want a hollowpoint that can help put a little more trauma in tissue. can anyone help?
    If you do a little pointed web searching, you should be able to find manufacturer's reports on the performance tests Winchester and Federal ran on their LE ammo. There may be others available as well, possibly Hornady and Speer. I've seen the Fed and Win reports, which of course have a marketing/advertising flavor to them, but overall they're fairly factual. This may be closer to what you're looking for than just external ballistics.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Good point, 'smitty.

Here's the Winchester LE website's Ranger ammo test comparison tool-

http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollec...law_bullit.swf

to get the OP -and anyone else who might be in need of it- started in his search for information.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Not sure where the idea arose that JMB specifically designed a FMH to not "overpenetrate". That misleading term didn't even exist as a combat sidearm term then. It took another 80 some years for anti gun media to steal that from hunters and mis apply it to defensive handguns. I always thought the U.S. Army just wanted big holes in the enemy and battlefield experience showed that pistols with a .4 got 'em dead better than those with a .3. But Daddydon (OP) is right. No need to worry about "over penetration", just adequate penetration.

Can't go wrong with the top brands listed, and 230gr. is the way to go with .45ACP. I've found no reason to go lighter. My personal choice is Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot, then Winchester PDX1.

agalindo
    I agree the whole "over penetration" thing is over "thunk". Considering that OSI shooting statistics show that 80 to 85% of the shots fired will miss the target I think over penetration is one the minor things I should worry about. The FBI protocol calls for a minimum of 12" and a maximum of 16" of penetration not because of the worries of over penetration but because most light and fast bullets will under penetrate thus failing to reach the vitals at less than optimal angles. Many people think that 12" of penetration is the desired depth because of over penetration when actually 12" minimum allowedand actually 13" to15" being better than 12".

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    The ranger t are not that great esp when going thru the denim test, they all plug up and fail to expand... HST is what ya want..

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    Fairly dated and biased.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links