Federal Hydra-Shok Question

This is a discussion on Federal Hydra-Shok Question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, it maybe a stupid question, but here it goes. Does anybody understand the difference between the various Federal Hydra-Shok offerings? They have Federal Personal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Federal Hydra-Shok Question

Okay, it maybe a stupid question, but here it goes.

Does anybody understand the difference between the various Federal Hydra-Shok offerings? They have Federal Personal Defense Hydra-Shok, Federal Premium Personal Defense Hydra-Shok, and Federal Tactical Hydra-Shok. Is there really any difference besides the Tactical coming in a 50 round box?
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

price is all i can tell.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    Federal Premium Ammunition - Contact Us

Here ya go ,ask them they would probably be the best source of information.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

As far as I can tell the first two that you mentioned are the same product. One difference is they are available in LR ( High Energy-Low Recoil as well as standard loads The LR loads have lighter bullets than the standard loads; 165 gr. compared to 230 gr. I cannot find a "tactical Hydra-Shok" listed in the Federal offerings. The only other difference that I have found is they offer JHP bullets and expanding full metal jacket.

When buying HS in 380ACP I spent some time trying to find what the difference was between "standard" and "low recoil" Hydra-Shoks. In 380, at least, I could not find *any* difference. Bullet weight and claimed muzzle velocity were the same, so I wrote the difference off to marketing.

I don't know if there's an actual difference in other calibers.

I sent the e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    I cannot find a "tactical Hydra-Shok" listed in the Federal offerings.
    The tactical round is usually packed in fifty round packs and was marketed through ATK's LE distribution service.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

Here is the exchange so far.

I was wondering, what is the difference between Premium Self Defense, Self Defense, and Tactical Hydra-Shok rounds? Is there any significant construction difference?
    Yes, there can be differences in those lines of ammunition. There may be a different bullet type altogether. We would have to have the load numbers to compare the differences.

Thanks
    Federal Ammunition
    I wrote back asking if there was a specific production difference between the tactical ammo and the personal defense ammo that was universal. They responded with a link to the company ballistic chart. So, yes there is a difference, but it depends on when the bullet was made and **** you on specifics.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The packaging and marketing...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The packaging and marketing...
    It would seem so.

It has been my experience that "Tactical" often means a reduced powder charge in many brands.

Here is a handy comparison tool for basic bullet configs & calibers: 9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

From what I've seen, the personal defense line is low recoil and low weight while the premium is the same as the tactical but in a twenty round box instead of a 50 round box. I had a few boxes of the tactical and they were a bit different. One box had wider hollow point cavities than the other box. Odd I know but they were consistent. I'm thinking they were generational differences.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNice View Post
    I sent the e-mail.

The tactical round is usually packed in fifty round packs and was marketed through ATK's LE distribution service.
    Ok that clears that up ,thanks. I am guessing that these are not available to the general public?

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Ok that clears that up ,thanks. I am guessing that these are not available to the general public?
    They can be found at online retailers. There is no law against the general public owning them. It is a loosely enforced company policy. You can find LE ammo boxes on sale at numerous retailers.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Another thing to know about Hydra-Shok, the HST made the "old school" Hydra-Shok obsolete ....
    The old Hydra-Shok doesn't expand well if it hits 40,000 layers of denim before the gel...

I have 180 gr. 40 S&W and 230 gr. 45 acp Hydra-Shok "Tactical" in 50 round boxes and it is the same effective load that it always was.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Another thing to know about Hydra-Shok, the HST made the "old school" Hydra-Shok obsolete ....
    The old Hydra-Shok doesn't expand well if it hits 40,000 layers of denim before the gel...

I have 180 gr. 40 S&W and 230 gr. 45 acp Hydra-Shok "Tactical" in 50 round boxes and it is the same effective load that it always was.
    I have seen some tests were, out of bigger guns like the Glock 17, it worked. I admit that it was basically better to bet against it though. I was just curious. I will probably be looking at HST next since Golden Saber is going for $0.87 per round now. I wish I had stocked up when it was running $12 a box at SGammo.

The jacket separation wasn't a big issue to me. I figure the possibility that I'll be shooting through auto glass is low. Plus, they expand pretty fast compared to a bonded round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links