45 critical defense

This is a discussion on 45 critical defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got off the phone with a hornady rep and he couldn't really help me much. I'm curious if anyone here has tested the round ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 45 critical defense

45 critical defense

I got off the phone with a hornady rep and he couldn't really help me much. I'm curious if anyone here has tested the round themselves out of a glock 30/36. Considering it for carry but I'm not sure if the penetration will be adequate considering the likely obstacles of arms, and off center body shots, etc. one article said it gets 11" of penetration through denim in gel. That's pretty low to me but I prefer 12 to 15" which I've seen from goldensaber +p 185 gr rounds

2. Remove Ads

Anyone got references or personal test results?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddydon View Post
    Anyone got references or personal test results?
    Look Amigo; I have noticed you are doing a lot of research concerning the 45acp. Now, I commend you for doing your homework. But here's the reality of it, as long as you stick to a 230 weight bullet, about anything is gonna be fine.

But, to give you specifics, here's my choices;
    Hornady XTP
    Anybody that uses a Nosler, which I know Double Tap does.
    Speer Gold Dots
    Winchester Ranger

I'd stick with conventional HP's.
    Unless.....you use a TC lead bullet, which is cheaper and apt to be as good as anything.
    Devilsclaw likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

It's not so much research as it is checking on what salesmen have spewed, quite rudely to be exact. I carry the XTP but I'm always on the lookout for new rounds. But they need good performance records. I also like the goldensabers but the gold dots are made of softer lead which I believe may assist in its ability to expand at various velocities. I talked to some Oregon swat officers during an instructors course and they told my they had enough bad experiences with ranger Ts to the point that they had to switch to a different round

This forum can be a wealth of knowledge if applied with an open mind, but it seems it's filled with caliber and bullet religious groups. Sad but it happens. But I'm a forgiving person

There is no perfect bullet. Use what your gun cycles best. Even the best hollow points don't expand 100% of the time.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

This forum can be a wealth of knowledge if applied with an open mind, but it seems it's filled with caliber and bullet religious groups. Sad but it happens. But I'm a forgiving person
    You obviously haven't been here long, or reading anything anyone has posted.

I rarely see people who push one caliber and/or bullet. Most folks here are open-minded and supportive.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I have hunted with many of them, in different calibers, and they all performed well enough, at least the ones that were recovered. The only one I have the slightest reservation about is the Winchester Ranger. And that's only because it did not penetrate. But that may be what some people want, so it's not saying it is bad.

The Golden Saber did very well, but shed it's jacket right before exiting.

In all honesty, my favorite performer is either a soft lead round nose, or a TC lead bullet. They do as well as any of them, and cost pennies. I don't hesitate to load TC lead handloads in my Colt.
    But the last two here are only used in the big bore low pressure calibers.
    Devilsclaw likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The tests I've seen for critical defense have been unimpressive. Unreliable expansion, and under penetration. HST and Gold Dots performed better in side by side tests. M4cabine had test posted a while back.

Thanks all. Just curious. Salesmen hype to make a sale I just wanted to debunk. The lighter the bullet the less the penetration and if you have to use a 185 (I prefer 200gr at least) you want plus p rounds. Though I need a good round for my 4.25" 1911 because either the gold dot didn't feed right or the mags need a tune up. Failure to feed on last round. Hollow point mouth pointing up and base of round forcing the follower down

.45 guard dog is in my EDC

I don't have the money to experiment with mags but I can cough up a few bucks for a good investment. I don't want mags with a bottom bumper. Anyone able to recommend a good replacement for the kimber mags?

Thanks all. Just curious. Salesmen hype to make a sale I just wanted to debunk. The lighter the bullet the less the penetration and if you have to use a 185 (I prefer 200gr at least) you want plus p rounds. Though I need a good round for my 4.25" 1911 because either the gold dot didn't feed right or the mags need a tune up. Failure to feed on last round. Hollow point mouth pointing up and base of round forcing the follower down
    Time to get a premium magazine

Kimber Promags work great. Never a FTF
    I don't have the money to experiment with mags but I can cough up a few bucks for a good investment. I don't want mags with a bottom bumper. Anyone able to recommend a good replacement for the kimber mags?

Quote Originally Posted by superdamian11 View Post
    .45 guard dog is in my EDC
    Those rounds seem cool but I would rather have the 200 gr ones but I can't find them except for the 40

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links