Yet Another Ammo Brand Name Query

This is a discussion on Yet Another Ammo Brand Name Query within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I just came across some "GECO" .357 Mag ammo at a VERY reasonable price ($.49/round for 158gr. JHP). I first thought it was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Yet Another Ammo Brand Name Query

Yet Another Ammo Brand Name Query

Hi All,

I just came across some "GECO" .357 Mag ammo at a VERY reasonable price ($.49/round for 158gr. JHP). I first thought it was another "no-name" brand, and doubted whether I'd want to fool with it. Doing a little research, though, I found that GECO is a brand made (or at least distributed) by RUAG.

It's my understanding that RUAG makes the Swiss GP11 ammo, which some say is the highest quality bulk/military ammo in the world. If the GECO is made to the same standards, I'm thinking I ought to jump on it.

Anyone have any direct experience with GECO, or know any more details?

TIA for any info.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've purchased some in 9mm and I have shot several hundred rounds without any issues. Not overly dirty, either. It was relatively inexpensive, given current conditions.

I'm thinking distributors have been finding new sources given the ammo crunch, and thus we are becoming more familiar with brands that until recently have had little recreational market penetration.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Geco has been around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I've purchased some in 9mm and I have shot several hundred rounds without any issues. Not overly dirty, either. It was relatively inexpensive, given current conditions.

I'm thinking distributors have been finding new sources given the ammo crunch, and thus we are becoming more familiar with brands that until recently have had little recreational market penetration.
    Thanks for the post!

I believe you're right. I would think that any foreign manufacturer would try to capitalize on the U.S. ammo shortage to expand their markets. We've seen a lot of the cheap no-names doing it, but there's no reason the good ones wouldn't try to take advantage of the market conditions, too!

Looks like some of 'em are a day late and a dollar short though, unless they're making .22 LR or WMR!
    Bisquit69 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I think RUAG is also connected with RWS. I just read that for some reason the Geco and RWS have some magnetic properties which they say isn't legal for import. Some guys have stated indoor ranges have checked the ammo and refused to let them shoot it. There must be some very small trace amounts of ferrous metal causing it to have magnetic properties but I find it hard to believe they would import both brands if it was not legal. I shot both the RWS and Geco without any issues. Some is Swiss made and I believe some comes from Hungary.

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    I think RUAG is also connected with RWS. I just read that for some reason the Geco and RWS have some magnetic properties which they say isn't legal for import. Some guys have stated indoor ranges have checked the ammo and refused to let them shoot it. There must be some very small trace amounts of ferrous metal causing it to have magnetic properties but I find it hard to believe they would import both brands if it was not legal. I shot both the RWS and Geco without any issues. Some is Swiss made and I believe some comes from Hungary.
    Please show me what law says it is illegal to import ammo with "magnetic properties".
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Wolf, Tula, Monarch all have magnetic properties if I remember correclty.

The official mall ninja brand!!!
    PEF likes this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Have ran a lot of geco 22lr through my marlin model 70 without any issues.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Ah. It took me a while. I'm tired. (I'll have to get some in .45).
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Whoa!!! Wait a minute! The ammo is "Geco", without the "k"!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Geco has been making good quality ammo for decades. I used to shoot it by the boat load.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Cuda I cant show it to you. I read is quite some time ago while researching something on ammunition, it was not on a forum. I put that out only as a point to note, perhaps I should not have. As I said, I find it hard to believe any major manufacturer would import something illegally. Pete

Cuda I cant show it to you. I read is quite some time ago while researching something on ammunition, it was not on a forum. I put that out only as a point to note, perhaps I should not have. As I said, I find it hard to believe any major manufacturer would import something illegally. Pete
    The reason you can't show it to me is because it doesn't exist.

There is a prohibition from importing armor piercing pistol ammunition...but just because it's magnetic, does not make it AP.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Please show me what law says it is illegal to import ammo with "magnetic properties".
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    The reason you can't show it to me is because it doesn't exist.

There is a prohibition from importing armor piercing pistol ammunition...but just because it's magnetic, does not make it AP.
    A whole lot of the confusion wrt steel in bullets has to do with a simple misunderstanding:

1) As Cuda points out, it is illegal to import armor piercing pistol ammunition.

2) Because of the existence of AK and similar pistols, 7.62x39 falls into the category of "pistol ammunition".

3) The old Chinese mil-surp 7.62x39 ammo that was imported in large quantities in the early '80's had a steel core, and so met the legal definition of "armor piercing". It was banned from further importation in 1986. There was a crapload of this ammo already floating around.

4) Lots of people started asking, "How can I tell if this old 7.62x39 stuff I have is considered 'armor piercing' ammo?"

5) The (correct) answer at the time was, "See if a magnet will stick to the bullet." At that time, the newer ammo (without the steel core) generally had a copper (i.e. non-magnetic) jacket as well, so a magnet would not stick to the bullet. It was pretty safe to assume that if a magnet would stick to a 7.62x39 bullet, then it was "armor piercing", at least by legal definition.

6) This was a very specific test to see if old 7.62x39 ammo was steel core or not. Since most people don't think things through very well, a lot of folks took this (erroneously) to mean that if a magnet will stick to a bullet, then the ammo is illegal.

7) A LOT of Eastern-bloc 7.62x39 ammo has since been manufactured and imported that has a steel-containing jacket (NOT core). A magnet will stick to the bullet, because of the steel jacket, but the ammo is NOT "armor piercing", and is not banned from import. The old rule of thumb still lingers, even though it's no longer valid.

8) Through misunderstanding, misquoting, and illogical extrapolation, the magnet test for old 7.62x39 ammo morphed into the "If a magnet will stick to a bullet, then the ammo is illegal" myth.

All of the above combined to create a widespread and wrong belief that if a magnet will stick to a bullet, it's "illegal". It should be noted that NONE of this has anything to do with steel cases; it's strictly a matter of the BULLET design. Needless to say though, a lot of people - particularly those outside of the gun enthusiasts' community - don't know the difference between a bullet core, case, jacket, and a shoulder-thing-that-goes-up. So, the rule is now erroneously believed, by some people, to apply to the case OR bullet of ANY caliber ammunition. Such is the Internet and the rumor mill.
    Cuda66 and Nmuskier like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links