it is going to happen.......again

This is a discussion on it is going to happen.......again within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After many years absent from reloading it is time to get back into it. When I stopped reloading I was using a RCBS Jr. press ...

Thread: it is going to happen.......again

After many years absent from reloading it is time to get back into it. When I stopped reloading I was using a RCBS Jr. press with TC dies for 38/357 and 9s. All my stuff was sold maybe 15 years ago.
    I have a couple questions that would like some advice on:

1: What press would you get? RCBS, Lyman or Lee. I think that I would like a progressive press. (maybe a Dillion in the future)
    2: I am thinking that I will start off loading 45 and 9s, what brand TC dies would you use.
    3: When buying dies, would you get a 3 or 4 die set
    4: Not on planning to reload any large caliber rifles so when choosing a press should I keep that in mind
    5: Where is the best place to buy the reloading components?
    6: I have read some hand guns can use small or large caliber primers. Is the primer the same size?
    7: what reloading manual would you suggest starting out with
    8: Backing the day I used to use Bulleye. Unique, 2700, Green and Blue Dot powder. If you were just reloading “target/practice” rounds, is there a single powder that I can use for 45 and 9s?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If you here a BIG boom for Savannah, you know I screwed up something.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    After many years absent from reloading it is time to get back into it. When I stopped reloading I was using a RCBS Jr. press with TC dies for 38/357 and 9s. All my stuff was sold maybe 15 years ago.

1: What press would you get? RCBS, Lyman or Lee. I think that I would like a progressive press. (maybe a Dillion in the future)
    I'm a fan of a single-stage press myself, but if I needed large quantities of ammo on a regular basis, I'd look into a progressive

2: I am thinking that I will start off loading 45 and 9s, what brand TC dies would you use.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "TC" but I've never had an issue with RCBS, although there are other great brands out there. I'm a bit under-impressed with Lee, but they are a decent value for the money.

The age old and endless debate. I used 3-die sets and have never had a crimp/seating problem in any caliber I've ever reloaded. It's all in the initial adjustment of the die.

4: Not on planning to reload any large caliber rifles so when choosing a press should I keep that in mind
    Unless you're planning on loading .50 cal, any standard press will work.

COLOR]If you mean primers, powder and bullets, there are many places. I don't buy in large quantity due to limited space, so it's more economic for me to buy in LGSs or the big box stores. However, if you need large quantities and are willing to pay the associated Hazmat fees, then online may prove to be a better choice.

6: I have read some hand guns can use small or large caliber primers. Is the primer the same size?
    [COLOR="#2F4F4F"]Some cases, like .45 ACP, are being produced with either small or large primer pockets. The two primer sizes are slightly dimensionally different. So not, use the primer size the case dictates.[/

Speer, ABCs of Reloading, Hornady, any or all of the above + others. Avoid the cheap ones designed for specific rounds, they're copies of others' data. Most powder manufacturers also provide load data for their powders on their websites.

8: Backing the day I used to use Bulleye. Unique, 2700, Green and Blue Dot powder. If you were just reloading “target/practice” rounds, is there a single powder that I can use for 45 and 9s?
    I use HP-38 (same as WW231) because it works well for all three pistol calibers I reload --9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, .45 ACP. It works well, I load mid-range loads but I've heard it is slightly cleaner at the higher half of the load range.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If you here a BIG boom for Savannah, you know I screwed up something.
    No big booms if you take your time and double check.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post

First question is, single-stage or progressive press? Once I shorted shooting .45 regularly, I realized a progressive met my needs best. But if you can't rub your head and pat your tummy at the same time, then stick with a single stage.

If you elect progressive, then it's pretty much a choice between Blue or Red, and I'm not talking politics. The Dillon 550 is a 4-station press that does not auto-index; it also requires some operator elbow room on the left and right sides of the press. The next step up is the 650, which is a 5-station rig with auto-indexing. The Hornady AP (my choice) is also 50station and auto-indexing, and will save you some bucks over the Dillon 650.

If you go with a single stage, then I'd stay away from the bottom end of the market (like the $30 Lee press) and go with RCBS or similar.

For .45, I use a 3-die set but I found it easier to use die #3 for just seating the bullet, and added a Lee Factory Crimp die for the last station. I prefer RCBS and Hornady dies; the Lee dies are OK but their threaded shank is shorter than others so you lose some adjustment range.

Most presses can handle small pistol up to big magnum rifle calibers, but the .50 BMG requires a bigger press. The only pistol-caliber-only press I'm aware of is the Dillon Square Deal B. If you shot only pistol and only one load and lots of it, I'd get one of these, set it up and call it good. But they use only Dillon dies and caliber changeover sets are pricey.

Buy reloading components wherever you can. I get primers by the case (5000) at the big gun shows for around $30 per thousand. Powder is where I can find it, usually at local gun stores for reasonable prices. If you order primers of power on-line, be aware you'll incur a HazMat charge, so bulk orders are the way to go.

Large primers are a different size than small primers. 9mm uses small pistol primers, most .45 ACP use large pistol.

I suggest more than one reloading manual to start with. Lee, Lyman and Hornady are good - pick 2 of the 3. The recipes are NOT all the same because of differences in overall length and other detailish items. Best prices I've found on loading manuals is Amazon.

The world is your oyster for powders. There are probably ten different powders that can be used to load both 9mm and .45 ACP. I haven't started loading 9mm yet but I'll start with Titegroup, since that's my go-to powder for .45, and it's pretty economical and meters easily.

There's a lot of good info here in the Reloading sub-forum, so give the Advanced Search function some exercise (use Single Search Content) to see if someone has already gone down your path.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links