Gold Dot 155gr 40 sw?

This is a discussion on Gold Dot 155gr 40 sw? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just looking around and came across 155 gr Gold dots. I have 180gr but these kind of sparked my interest in that supposedly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Gold Dot 155gr 40 sw?

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Gold Dot 155gr 40 sw?

I was just looking around and came across 155 gr Gold dots. I have 180gr but these kind of sparked my interest in that supposedly they are moving at 1200 fps and 496 ke. I know most folks either fall into the 180 or 165 camp but I was just curious if anyone had any experience with these.

2. Remove Ads

I use Double Tap 180 with a Nosler bullet a at 1100 fps.

My duty load is 155 Hydra Shok. I think the Gold Dots would be great too, but there's only one way of ever really knowing, so it's a moot point.
    Load it up with what ya want and ride the river .
    Eric357, FlaRon and CLASS3NH like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, putting the bullets of choice on target might work better than riding some river. Do that and your ammo might get wet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Was just watching some .40 cal demos this a.m. I wonder if the lighter HPs may expand too soon and reduce penetration? A common problem.

Tricky business. Diff bbl lengths, brands, bullet configs, etc., & e/thing changes.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Lighter rounds tend to not carry as much momentum through the target. Not that a 155 is a pea shooter, just that all else being equal, heavier rounds for caliber penetrate more reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    I was just looking around and came across 155 gr Gold dots. I have 180gr but these kind of sparked my interest in that supposedly they are moving at 1200 fps and 496 ke. I know most folks either fall into the 180 or 165 camp but I was just curious if anyone had any experience with these.
    If you really want to get some speed Underwood uses speer bullets and loads the 155 gr at 1300 fps, 582 ft lbs. The 165 gr are at 1200 fps, 528 ft lbs. These are also within saami specs for pressure.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
    Eric357 and CLASS3NH like this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    No matter how much penetration is available, if it's not on target, it simply doesn't matter. Accuracy is what it's all about. Heavy bullet off target = no good. Light bullet on target = good, and vise versa. tests show 155 gr Gold Dots to have excellent penetration. Ballistic gel is not human flesh. May the debate continue.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well, putting the bullets of choice on target might work better than riding some river. Do that and your ammo might get wet.
    Don't you have anything to do down there in Fla?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    I shot those rounds in my glock 23. They were my go to self defense rounds. Very accurate and they perform well in all the comparisons I have seen. I have since switched to 9 mm for all my hand guns (almost) so I sold off my 23 and a 1,000 rounds of range stuff and a couple of boxes of the 155 gold dots.

Fortunately I never had the opportunity to live test them on a human so I'm useless there, but they do a "bang up" job on gel.
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I've never used ballistic gel, but the 155 Gold Dots I've tried on water bottles and wet news paper fair as good or better than heavier grain Gold Dots.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    I shot those rounds in my glock 23. They were my go to self defense rounds. Very accurate and they perform well in all the comparisons I have seen. I have since switched to 9 mm for all my hand guns (almost) so I sold off my 23 and a 1,000 rounds of range stuff and a couple of boxes of the 155 gold dots.

Fortunately I never had the opportunity to live test them on a human so I'm useless there, but they do a "bang up" job on gel.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    No matter how much penetration is available, if it's not on target, it simply doesn't matter. Accuracy is what it's all about. Heavy bullet off target = no good. Light bullet on target = good, and vise versa. tests show 155 gr Gold Dots to have excellent penetration. Ballistic gel is not human flesh. May the debate continue.
    Are you suggesting the 180 gr. .40 is somehow less accurate than the 155, or are we regurgitating mouse gun fallacies? Posted under defensive ammunition, we are not concerned with a 1/2" drop in POI at 25m.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Don't you have anything to do down there in Fla?
    Yep--try to keep you in check. It's a full-time gig.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Cool

To my fellow Florida forum member and past shooting companion . The meaning of the term is explained below.

ON A WESTERN TRAIL: HE'LL DO TO RIDE THE RIVER WITH
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

155gr are too light they under penetrate. KE is not a good measure of a round. Stick to 165gr or better yet 180 gr.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaRon View Post
    To my fellow Florida forum member and past shooting companion . The meaning of the term is explained below.

ON A WESTERN TRAIL: HE'LL DO TO RIDE THE RIVER WITH
    Bout time you showed up Ron:)

Your buddy needs help, lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links