Best ammo for 9mm

This is a discussion on Best ammo for 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I was curious if I could get some input on what you guys view to be the best people stopper ammo in 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best ammo for 9mm

Best ammo for 9mm

Hi all. I was curious if I could get some input on what you guys view to be the best people stopper ammo in 9mm. Thanks for the help.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

2. Remove Ads

It depends a bit on your gun. If you want the best power, go for +P+. Not all guns are rated for the higher pressures though, so check your manual to see if your gun will support them.

You'll also want to use jacketed hollow-points. I keep Remington Golden Sabers in my SA XD. They are 147 grain brass jacketed hollow-points (standard pressure). Other good options are Hydra-Shok's and Speer Gold Dots. There are plenty of good options. Not all of them will feed reliably in all guns though. The key is to buy a couple boxes of each, and take 'em to the range!

Hollow-points are a must for safety. They give good stopping power, and have much less of a chance of over-penetration. You don't want the round that stops the BG to go through and harm an innocent.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

+1 to what Exodus said, He's giving you good advice.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

hydro-shok and gold dot are both good. see what your gun likes, that's what i would go with. if they don't work then you will have to go with ball ammo (fmj)
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I only carry Corbon DPX. You can pick it up for $1 a round at impact guns. Not cheap, but then again neither is your life.

In 9, I really prefer a light and fast dependably expanding round and the 115 grain DPX is exactly that.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Even If I told you the best ammuntion for the 9mm is called the Elephant stopper in 148 gr made by REMWIN your gun may not like it.

Example My G19 loves gold dots, but i don't like how the gun feels shooting hydra shoks.
    Sig 228 exact opposite.

My suggestion try the big names these guys have been making ammo for a while and have good reputations:
    Federal Hydra shok
    Speer Gold Dot
    Remington Golden sabers
    Winchester SXT, Ranger, Silvertips
    Corbon
    Magtech
    Hornady

and see what cycles "Your" gun the best. Then make a decission about grain. Light and fast, Slow and heavy etc...

Because even though MY Elephant stopper in 148 gr made by REMWIN is the best ammo ever invented. It may not cycle in your gun.

Your #1 concern is reliability of it going bang when you pull the trigger. Don't rely on a mythical horned creature "Stopping power" because you can't stop something if #1 your guns dosn't go Bang #2 you can't hit what your shooting at because you can't control it.

Disclaimer: Elephant stopper in 148 gr made by REMWIN Does not exist.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting a couple boxes of Hornady TAP in 124gr. and some Cor-Bon +P in 115gr. The 9mm is for my girlfriend and I don't have a lot of experience with the round. I initially tried to start her out with a .357mag, which she did OK with, but she didn't particularly care for the recoil even downloaded to .38sp. Given my preference she'd be learning how to fire one of my .40 or .45 cal Glocks, but I figure we can eventially work up to that.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    hydro-shok and gold dot are both good. see what your gun likes, that's what i would go with. if they don't work then you will have to go with ball ammo (fmj)
    If your gun cannot feed a decent quality JHP then get a new gun. As much as I disdain the 9 vs 40 vs 45 argument, a FMJ 9 mm round is only useful on the targer range and, due to intl law, the battlefield.

Personal defense round should be, imo, JHP.

A FMJ 9mm round is still a useful round, but I agree. If you've got the option between a 9mm FMJ round and a 9mm JHP round, you'd be foolish to pass up the JHP bullet.

And heaven forbid your 9mm can't handle JHP bullets, you get it fixed or replaced, lol.

chiliboxer, just practice a whole lot and nearly any 9mm will work for you. Shot placement, by far, is the most important issue. The bullets you've got will do their part, if you do yours. :)
    Beretta 92FS

Thanks for all the great tips. Like I said, this gun is for my girlfriend, I am already pretty decent with .40 and .45, but I suppose if it's in my house I ought to become proficient with it.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I went through this exact same thing with my girlfriend. Er, well... it was more of a one-way rant. When I was done, she looked me square in the eyes and said "the best rounds are the rounds that hit center mass."

Wow! Sounds like you have a heck of a girl there.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Haven't needed to stop a person, yet, so I rely on the numbers and other evaluations. But, I am carrying the Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP 124gr +P+ now, and am strongly considering replacing (or augmenting) with the DoubleTap JHP 124gr +P. Recently, I did a head-to-head review of these two rounds. Good ammo, IMO, both of them. Both are exceptional in my CZ P01 carry gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    The biggest thing to remember about defensive ammo for 9mm is that you need hollow point bullets. FMJ bullets just don't function well as "man stoppers". Unless your shot placement is perfect. or very near perfect, you'll need multiple shots to bring him down. The ammo from any major manufacturer is ok.

You also should run at least a full magazine of the ammo that you've selected. Some guns have trouble feeding hollow points, or feeding specific brads. This information is NOT something that you want to find out at the moment that you try to fire in a gun fight! My personal favorites are the Corbon 115 gr +P, or Federal +P Hydrashocks. I also have some Winchester Ranger.

If your gun has trouble feeding hollow point ammo, there are 2 very good choices- Corbon Pow'rball, and Federal Expanding point Full Metal Jacket. The Pow'rball is a hollow point bullet capped with a polymer ball. When the bullet strike the target, the polymer ball ensures expansion. The Expanding point fmj is a variation on the same theme. This bullet is a hollow point, with a flat top. There is a rubber ball in the point, and then the bullet is given a full metal jacket. This design also guarantees expansion when it hits the target (at least according to Federal, as the Pow'rball info is from Corbon). Personally, I use either the Pow'rball or the EPFMJ for my carry gums. There is good research that says the when a hollow point bullet strikes a target dressed in leather, denim, or other heavy fabric, the hollow point can (note CAN, not DOES) fill, preventing expansion. Now, the 45, in 230 grain, gives very good stopping power in full metal jacket, but I would, of course, still like the extra benefit of expansion. Unfortunately, this can't be said for 9mm. This is a pitiful man stopper in FMJ. This, given the better feeding of FMJ, made me decide to use either the Corbon or Federal, depending on which I can get the best deal on through AMMOMAN.com.

As I said, if you stick with the major brands, and use hollow points, or the equivalent, such as Pow'rball or EPMJ), and test them in the weapon that you intend to use for defense, you'll do fine. Now, I personally would stay away from Wolf, or other foreign manufacturers for defense. For practice, it doesnt matter, other than the fact that the Wolf is an exceptionally dirty round. So, good luck with whatever you decide to choose. May you never have to use it for it's intended purpose.

Hi all!

I just went thru this myself, as I recently benched my 1911 and Glock 21 due to a lower back injury in favor of a G17 and G19. I started looking around for information regarding actual shootings, and what I found to be the "top of the heap" are Winchester RA9TA 127 gr +P+ and Gold Dot (I believe it was 124 gr +P) for actual shoots. Both seem to have a solid track record, and deal with intermediate targets (windshields, heavy leather jackets, etc) well, too.

Although I could not find any shoot data for DPX, it would seem to be an actual full generation ahead all others in terms of terminal performance (Although admittedly this is theoretical at present). tests have shown it to punch thru car doors and windshields very effectively, and still expand to .65 caliber or so in gelatin, with 7 or so inches of penetration.

A mutt (appeared to be a Pitbull/something mix) attacked my 5 yr old daughter last month, and I can tell you that the RA9TA is GREAT stuff. He died instantly with his eyes open and teeth bared. He literally did not move when shot - he just fell over dead. (One round thru the brisket at about a yard and a half). Everything in his chest cavity was undefinable goo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links