best .38 +P ammo for Self-Defense (from the few options legal in Mexico)

This is a discussion on best .38 +P ammo for Self-Defense (from the few options legal in Mexico) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello people, Just joined the forum. The situation in my country (Mexico) right now has gotten quite complicated. A lot of thiefs, corrupt cops that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: best .38 +P ammo for Self-Defense (from the few options legal in Mexico)

best .38 +P ammo for Self-Defense (from the few options legal in Mexico)

Hello people,
    Just joined the forum.

The situation in my country (Mexico) right now has gotten quite complicated. A lot of thiefs, corrupt cops that will either directly comit crimes or enable third parties to do it...

I want to protect my home. It is legal to have certain guns for home defense here but none make sense. The options are: .22lr, .25, .32, .380 and .38sp. (I picked a .38sp + P and registered it)

Even worse for us civilians.... NO HP's are allowed.... so my only options are LRN and FMJ!!! :(

My question here is... could anybody tell me which bullet should I go for in terms of weight and tip-kind to get the best possible result???

I appreciate your answers and opinions. Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Hi and welcome .. I guess the issue is what kind of ammo can you get .. Ie what brand does your store carry . I am not sure how many USA compaines would be willing to ship ammo to a non mil person in Mexcio due to export laws..

If you can get buffol bore that stuff is usally very hot ammo and hard cast for max pentration https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=291.. also wadcutters make a nice big hole at close range Doubletap Ammo 38 Special +P 158 Grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hardcast ..

Good luck man .. It is rough times down there I know the milita and the like ...

Can you own say a shotgun ? That with 00 buck can be a man stopper as well..

Dont you also only have one gun store in the whole country ?
    el_Taco_Naco likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I think a FULL wadcutter load would be about the most effective you are going to get in .38 special +P without being able to use hollow points. If you don't already know a full-wadcutter bullet has a perfectly squared tip. It looks like a little cylinder. Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure full wadcutter, but this company's "standard pressure" is hotter and more powerful than most other company's +P loads. Below is the link.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=111

From Buffalo Bore's website:
    Item 20D utilizes a very hard cast 150gr. WAD CUTTER bullet. The bullet is made hard, so it won't deform or mushroom. It cuts/crushes a "cookie cutter", full diameter hole in human flesh just like it does on a paper target. It penetrates deeply (roughly 14 to 16 inches in human tissue) and its full diameter profile maximizes blood loss as it cuts and crushes (not slips or slides) its way through tissue. Although I've never been shot with a full profile wad cutter bullet, I must assume that the initial impact of that wide flat nosed bullet, is crushingly formidable. As a teenager, I took to the woods on a regular basis and killed many a critter with heavily loaded 38SPL wad cutters'. The effect of a full profile wad cutter on small game was obvious and amazing, compared to regular round nosed bullets. That flat nose, literally hammers living things. These bullets are hard and properly lubed and will NOT lead your barrel. Note my velocities from real world "over the counter" revolver s- NOT test BARRELS!
    These are pretty expensive but if you want the best non-hollow point .38 special +P load for defense I think this is probably the best your going to find on the market. I think you certainly made the right decision on buying a .38 special vs. a gun in the other calibers mentioned. NOTE: If you can not get ahold of this load, I think most quality .38 special full wadcutters will still fit the bill, they just won't be quite as powerful as this load and won't penetrate as much flesh/bone most likely. Still more effective than ball for sure.

Good luck!
    ANGLICO and el_Taco_Naco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by el_Taco_Naco View Post
    ...NO HP's are allowed.... so my only options are LRN and FMJ!!!...

My question here is... could anybody tell me which bullet should I go for in terms of weight and tip-kind to get the best possible result???...
    First, need to clarify - Are LRN and FMJ really your only options, or is the rule just, "no hollowpoints"?

Of the two, I'd choose a very soft LRN, but if you're allowed WC's or SWC's, either would be preferable.
    el_Taco_Naco, Cuda66 and ANGLICO like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

You are in luck! A flat nose lead bullet will work about as well as anything!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Second the buffalo bore thats what I carry. 158gr lswhp
    el_Taco_Naco and GhostMaker like this.

Buffalo Bore has several bullets that would work. I second all the choices above!
    el_Taco_Naco likes this.

You didn't tell what gun you have. You need one with more than a 3" barrel to realize any benefits from the +P ammo. If you're talking about a pistol, I'd get the longest barrle one I could find, and load it with +P LRN, or a 38 lever action rifle would be better. I would want a heavy chunk of lead flying as fast as possible. I realize you already have your gun, so this info may not help.

Bien venidos.

158 Grain Lead Semi Wadcutter +P.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by FireYoda View Post
    You didn't tell what gun you have. You need one with more than a 3" barrel to realize any benefits from the +P ammo...
    Wrong. A cartridge loaded to +P pressure will deliver a higher velocity than one that is not, assuming the same bullet weight.
    el_Taco_Naco and Rugeroo357 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Thanks a lot for your kind reply W. Racoon. Indeed. The military controls and sells specific guns and specific ammo... only for "Sport/Hunting activities".
    Bolt action rifles no problem, shotguns 12GA tops (so yes I agree It would be handy to have some kind of 5 shot 00Buck Shotgun at home)
    When it comes to short-guns: revolvers up to .38sp or .380 ACPs... it really sucks that criminals use .44, 9mm, 40, 357MAG..... to break into houses and most people has nothing to deffend themselves.... Saddly cops will not show up, and if lucky they will come 2 hours later... once you have been beat-up, killed or who knows....

Anyways... I dont mean to get too romantic about this whole situation. I will try to find the bullets you are recommending me and I will also check on shotguns...

Yoda, indeed I forgot to say. Its a S&W model 10 4"(38sp + P)
    bmcgilvray and BamaT like this.

I could grow old and be happy with a 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter, either in +P or even standard velocity, in a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10.

Oh ... wait!. I have grown old and have remained happy with that exact combination.
    BamaT, Taurahe, mcp1810 and 9 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

haha, I will try to get those bullets on my Model 10 and try to get to old and happy too!

Quote Originally Posted by el_Taco_Naco View Post
    haha, I will try to get those bullets on my Model 10 and try to get to old and happy too!
    Work on "happy"!

"Old" will take care of itself soon enough!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links