Herters aluminum casing okay?

This is a discussion on Herters aluminum casing okay? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found some 9mm alumimum casing from blazer called herters. Im assuming its okay to shoot with my glock 9mm as I see pretty much ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nmbr5ml

Thread: Herters aluminum casing okay?

I found some 9mm alumimum casing from blazer called herters. Im assuming its okay to shoot with my glock 9mm as I see pretty much every1 saying theyll eat ehatever brand you put in them, but figured it wouldnt hurt to ask I dont want to tear anything up.
    Also, will the range allow them? My range wont allow steel casing's but ive not asked of these yet.
    Thanks in advance.

If your range won't allow non-brass loads because they can't sell to reloaders and are too lazy to go through and pick them out, and would rather just make you buy more expensive ammo to punch paper, then no, they probably won't allow aluminum either because they can't reload them. You'd have to ask though I could be wrong.

Yeah your Glock will shoot them just fine. Aluminum does lack the inherent lubricity of brass, so there's a bit more friction involved in feeding but this is more likely to be a problem in guns that are less than 100% reliable like the neat looking but suspect Hi-Power clone ones that are made in Czech Republic/Russia/Poland, and cost ~$300. I haven't found anything I could buy at a gun store that a 9mm Glock won't feed 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    If your range won't allow non-brass loads because they can't sell to reloaders and are too lazy to go through and pick them out, and would rather just make you buy more expensive ammo to punch paper, then no, they probably won't allow aluminum either because they can't reload them. You'd have to ask though I could be wrong...
    ...Or, if you prefer, those "lazy" range owners could just charge you an extra few bucks an hour for range time, to cover their cost of sorting cases. Jeez.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    ...Or, if you prefer, those "lazy" range owners could just charge you an extra few bucks an hour for range time, to cover their cost of sorting cases. Jeez.
    Not me. I wouldn't shoot there. And yes, unless the range is refunding you a "brass deposit" for loaded ammo you buy, the practice disgusts me. Being too lazy to even sort through expended cases for a straight up 100% profit means someone has bizarre business principles. I see it a lot in the firearms business and don't encourage it by giving them $$$.

VIP Member
    Herter's is fine. I don't know your range rules.

They said I couldnt use my steel case ammo because of fire reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasejax View Post
    They said I couldnt use my steel case ammo because of fire reasons.
    OK that doesn't make any sense at all. I could see the concern of steel CORE ammo possibly causing sparks. How could expended cases cause a fire?
    gasmitty likes this.

Bought two boxes of it in .45 last fall. Got this result from 4-5 rounds out of 100. Bullet only made it about ten feet out of the muzzle. Not saying it is an issue with all their ammo, may have been a bad lot, but I won't be buying anymore. Not looking forward to pressing a round out of the barrel after it is to weak to reach the end.

Edit: My local range is brass only. They say straight up they don't want to sort cases. I've seen them let people shoot steel and aluminum occasionally. They do put those shooters at an end lane by themselves and shooter has to sweep up their own cases. Doesn't happen often though since this range stays pretty busy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by nmbr5ml View Post
    OK that doesn't make any sense at all. I could see the concern of steel CORE ammo possibly causing sparks. How could expended cases cause a fire?
    Only thing I can think on that issue, is mowing grass, and it being dead from lack of watering? Steel blade on steel cases=sparks? Sounds like bunk, also to me.
    Last edited by Pete63; February 6th, 2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Links