What else will I need? (aka: super excited!)

This is a discussion on What else will I need? (aka: super excited!) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I still need primers, powder, and, of course, boolits. Shells I got. Since I'll be doing 30-06 soon, too, I imagine I'll need ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What else will I need? (aka: super excited!)

I know I still need primers, powder, and, of course, boolits. Shells I got. Since I'll be doing 30-06 soon, too, I imagine I'll need a case lube pad and lube.

Can you recommend a good scale for someone doing it the simple way?

Kilowatt3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    dial or digital calipers
    the plastic hammer that pulls bullets, you WILL seat some incorrectly form time to time
    a good reloading book
    powder scale
    powder dispenser

later on..
    powder trickler
    case tumbler

Thanks!!

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i prefer beam scales even if their sometimes a pain, just because i hate buying batteries.

these things are slick, i assume lee makes a version, though if your loading to the higher end of pressure you'll want to check every, i dunno, fifth(?) measure, they will change a little.

RCBS® Uniflow™ Powder Measure : Cabela's

if your loading for rifles(your -06) and your loading hot, precision loads, you should consider the powder trickler....

Good stuff.

Will RCBS dies (the -06 for example) fit with the Lee single stage? Our local mom and pop only carries RCBS stuff.

RBS will fit Lee presses.
    ChrisATX likes this.

For shouldered cases a case trimmer. I like the WFT. Set it and forget it.
    Kavalander and darbo like this.

This weekend's mini stay-cation.

Loading bench time = more TRIGGER time. Congrats on your decisions, your purchases & your intentions. I'm a beam scale fan only because I detest have my precious reloading time being burned by a battery hunt.
    miller_man likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Grab yourself a couple full on manuals. I have hornady and Lyman 49th and will be adding the Speer one soon. Cross referencing data is helpful, especially as books age. I started w .45 acp good simple one to start with. Good luck, get a bullet puller. It will save u on wasted components. Powder seems to be the hardest to find still in my area...and large rifle primers
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Once you start with rifle cases, you'll need a case trimmer. Lee has some hand trimmers that will do the job on the cheap, but the hand lathe type is much more versatile and accurate.

I prefer a beam scale over electronic. No battery to fail, no warm up required. I use a RCBS 505 and it's been 10% except for the one time I bent the pointer guard and it was rubbing. A simple unbend did the trick. The only pain in the butt one might call is I store mine in it's original box between uses and it takes 30 seconds to set up. I've got the time.

As for lubes, I've tried others and had problems, so I stuck with RCBS case lube and pad. Many options out there though.
    ChrisATX likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I decided on the beam scale because I'm a scientist who works with digital balances costing more than a luxury car daily... and I see how much they drift, and how off they can be. They require batteries, monitoring, etc. When it comes to reloading, I want stone age consistency. I have digital and dial calipers at work that I can borrow.

Powder is still the hardest thing to come by. There was one container of rifle powder left, it was gone by the time I was ready to check out. Plenty of primers, cases, bullets of all types.
    gasmitty likes this.

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Welcome to the wonderful world of handloading. Not is it only productive and cost saving, but to me it's one of the most relaxing hobbies I have. There ain't nuthin' like rolling your own!!!
    miller_man and ChrisATX like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I mentioned a case trimmer earlier for when you get into shouldered cases.
    Here's a couple pictures of the jig I made to hold my drill motor and WFT (world's fastest trimmer). The coffee can catches any brass trimmings.

ChrisATX and Bad Bob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    I decided on the beam scale because I'm a scientist who works with digital balances costing more than a luxury car daily... and I see how much they drift, and how off they can be. They require batteries, monitoring, etc. When it comes to reloading, I want stone age consistency. I have digital and dial calipers at work that I can borrow.

Powder is still the hardest thing to come by. There was one container of rifle powder left, it was gone by the time I was ready to check out. Plenty of primers, cases, bullets of all types.
    +1 on the beam scale. The one I have from RCBS is well over twenty years old and still spot on according to the calibration set I have. The digital ones are nice, but as you note, they do tend to have "a mind of their own" at times. For someone (me) who recalls when batteries weren't required for every little convenience, it is nice not to have to rely on batteries.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links