ammo price question

ammo price question

This is a discussion on ammo price question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im fairly new to the firearm/shooting hobby. Purchased my first firearm in February 2013 when there was a ammo shortage. My question is what kind ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: ammo price question

ammo price question

Im fairly new to the firearm/shooting hobby. Purchased my first firearm in February 2013 when there was a ammo shortage.
    My question is what kind of prices should I be paying for ammo? Also what were prices before the shortage?

I own a 9mm & .380 caliber firearm.
    So today in walmart I found target practice winchester .380 fmj for $22 a box of 50. Is that a good price? Average? And how much would that have cost me a few years ago?

Thanks in advance to ALL replies!!!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"Back in the day", I used to figure on about $8/box for .380. Those days are long gone now, and if you can get decent name brand brass-cased .380 ammo for under about $25/50 that's pretty good in today's market. For 9mm, my take is that anything under about $17 is pretty good (again, for brass cased name brand ammo). JMO
    Ianthin and gatorbait51 like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

If your going to continue to enjoy range shooting an practice you might want to think about reloading your own
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Thanks for ur response, when u mean "back in the day" was that pretty much before obama?
    Oldpsufan and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasejax View Post
    Thanks for ur response, when u mean "back in the day" was that pretty much before obama?
    That was pretty much before Obama, either Bush, Clinton, or Reagan!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Sponsor
    Yes, that is a fair price, I buy from Walmart too a few of my local gun shops are asking to much 5 to 15 bucks more then Walmart. Look into reloading if you shoot a lot.

Mike
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The last time I saw .380 at Cabelas it was $16.99 /50, I bought 2 boxes. I should have bought more, as I have not seen any since. Our local wally is selling 9mm 100rd boxes for $25-$27, depending on brand.
    Ianthin and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasejax View Post
    Im fairly new to the firearm/shooting hobby. Purchased my first firearm in February 2013 when there was a ammo shortage.
    My question is what kind of prices should I be paying for ammo? Also what were prices before the shortage?

I own a 9mm & .380 caliber firearm.
    So today in walmart I found target practice winchester .380 fmj for $22 a box of 50. Is that a good price? Average? And how much would that have cost me a few years ago?

Thanks in advance to ALL replies!!!
    First, welcome to the forum and to shooting.

Both ammo availability and pricing these days can be stated in 2 ways: what was before December 14, 2012 and what was after. Before that date, I could buy any practice or carry ammo I wanted, in any quantity, any day of the week, from multiple sources, both local and online. Now? Quality carry ammo virtually doesn't exist, at any price, from any source, and even the most average-quality practice ammo is often 3x what it was before Sandy Hook (if you can find it.) It's going to take at least the end of the Barack Hussein administration before anything resembling "normal" returns to the ammo market. That's almost 3 more years. There's a lot of competing theories as to where the ammo supply has gone and that's probably best left to another thread.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The thing about getting into reloading though... it was well over a year before I could find any of the components like powder, primers and bullets.
    About 5 months ago I ran into some large pistol primers, then a couple months later bullets, than just this year I finally found powder. Meanwhile I could have bought the ammo I was reloading online. It's rough any way you look at it.

For comparison shopping you might want to go to ammoseek.com or one of them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I try not to think about what it use to cost, find the best tolerable price today.
    Shooting less, reloading components have risen in price as well (if you can find what you want).

Gasoline is the same.
    gatorbait51 and PAcanis like this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    I just picked up 500 9mm rounds for 14.99 per 50. at my local gun store. Walmart was 21.99. Easy choice. The cheap stuff is always 115 gr. I would avoid the Russian stuff that is super dirty. Tula is usually inespensive(18.99 or so per 50). Just ask to check the ammo and make sure it isn't dirty and greasy. I'm amazed at how grungy some stuff is but you can still find good stuff at much lower prices than Walmart. I have been surprised to see many bulk ammo boxes have been more expensive per round than the 50 round boxes. Don't assume the bulk box is cheaper. Do the division (price divided by number of rounds).

Some 9mm handguns have trouble handling the 115 cartridges. Failure to feed etc. Just have to see how your gun eats the cheap stuff.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Much thanks for all the responses. Interesting stuff for sure.
    I am wishing I bought more from walmart now... There were a few boxes left. Suprisingly however was that I weny at 430 a.m. due to my work schedule. Haha, maybe im lucky having strange hours and they stock up near that time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Yeah I prolly wont be able to find anymore 380 for a while

-_- dunno why I didnt buy more. As after calling gander mountain and a few walmarts they have none. Crap.
    Reloading is great but I just dont think I shoot THAT much. And the price of all the stuff... im more of a 1-2 times a month go and shoot a few boxes shooter.
    Not only to keep me sharp but for fun too.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I buy my target ammo at walmart. Usually runs about $26/100 for 9mm. You can get reloads online from reputable companies for 24-25 cents per round. It was much cheaper a couple of years ago, but I haven't seen it any cheaper than that recently.

I haven't bought much in the way of carry rounds for a while because I was stocked up when the shortage hit, and I quit shooting them at the range. I think I was paying around 50 cents per round for those before (speer gold dot), and last time it was nearer to 70, I think.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Freedom and discipline have come to be regarded as mutually exclusive, when in fact freedom is not at all the opposite, but the final reward of discipline" - Elisabeth Elliot

"While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly" 1Thess 5:3

It depends on the caliber. I sold my Ruger No. 1 in .458 Lott when the ammo got up to $120.00 for 20 rounds. A case of ammo cost more than the rifle.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links