7,62x54r Ammunition

7,62x54r Ammunition

This is a discussion on 7,62x54r Ammunition within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Mosin Nagant M44 and would like to shoot it at my gun club. My problem is that most ammo I find online ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By donp326
  • 1 Post By donp326

Thread: 7,62x54r Ammunition

7,62x54r Ammunition

I have a Mosin Nagant M44 and would like to shoot it at my gun club. My problem is that most ammo I find online is steel core. That is a no-no at the club. I am looking for lead core. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find lead core ammo? Thank you.

Never seen any full lead core. I have seen Soft Tip lead with a bimetal core; whatever that is. Maybe it is lead core.

Give Centerfiresystems.com or j&gsales.com a call to see if there is such an animal.
    The three most important components of stopping power are: bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.
    -Evan Marshall

In order to get away from steel core, you are going to need to get away from the less expensive surplus ammo.

There are commercial offerings available with lead cores: Prvi Partizan PPU 7.62x54R 182gn FMJ BT 20rd Box
    WrongRecroom and Aceoky like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matdicdad View Post
    I have a Mosin Nagant M44 and would like to shoot it at my gun club. My problem is that most ammo I find online is steel core. That is a no-no at the club. I am looking for lead core. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find lead core ammo? Thank you.
    The Lapua Mega is a soft point bullet designed for the big game hunting. The bullet has a lead core and copper jacket which are mechanically bonded together. They also make FMJ. I'm not sure if it is lead core but the price is about the same. The cartridge model no. is: 4317502 for 7.62x54R. they are extremely accurate but not inexpensive. We sell Lapua and several other brands in 7.62x54R but since I don't advertise on this board, I'm not allowed to display my store name.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I know Winchester loads an all lead bullet, I also know that it costs significantly more per round than the stuff I get out of a smelly green can.

Yep to all I have learned 99% of surplus ammo esp East block is neither range safe nor some outdoors safe ( can cause fires if it hits rocks).. The best as others said is the brass case or hunting stuff...
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Prvi Partizan also makes 150 grain bullet. They are reasonable priced non corrosive and you can reload the brass. We had a Mosin match 2 weeks ago and I shot a 1 inch group at 100 yards with mine. I had the best group but it was all in the 9 ring at 2 o' clock. it got me second place, if I made some adjustment to the sites and got to shoot a second course of fire I could have cleaned up. Most of the others were shooting the copper corrosive stuff.
    I am working up some reload stuff right now, it will be about a month before I have all the data, but I am reloading the Priv once shot brass with a 174 gr .311 FMJ-BT Sierra match king bullet, with a couple different powders and charges to see what it likes. I also heard of guys using .308 Hornady 168 grain A-Max. My barrel is close to shot out and I think they would be sloppy in there.
    The other ammo to check would be the WOLF, it is steel cased but the bullets should be allowed. I know it says non corrosive but the primers are very corrosive.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    I believe Norma still makes them. Sit down before you check out the price $$$. There is boxer primed brass floating around if you reload. Hope you find some.Just checked and Midway had it listed (backorder only) for $24 per 20; so there is new brass available for reloading.
    Last edited by denclaste; February 7th, 2014 at 09:09 PM. Reason: new info

Check out AmmoToGo I didn't chech it for your ammo but you can. They usually have a wide varity of ammo.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Thanks all. I found some Prvi Partizan at SGammo that seems to fit the bill.

Where to buy, my ammo

Yes, I do buy from ammunitiontogo.com when I couldn't find my gun ammo at my near store hlammo.com

I also use SGammo sometimes I can get a better price there.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

I like to use ammo search engines. These should help you find the cheapest price for the ammo you're looking for.

GunBot 17hmr rimfire ammo

In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies

Sponsored Links