I Am Resolute, Bigger Is Better, Diameter Over Capacity, I Will Carry A 45

This is a discussion on I Am Resolute, Bigger Is Better, Diameter Over Capacity, I Will Carry A 45 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried 9mm (briefly), 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 within the last year. I allowed my shot timer to briefly sway me ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: I Am Resolute, Bigger Is Better, Diameter Over Capacity, I Will Carry A 45

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

I Am Resolute, Bigger Is Better, Diameter Over Capacity, I Will Carry A 45

I have carried 9mm (briefly), 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 within the last year.
    I allowed my shot timer to briefly sway me to the 9mm; however, I soon came back to my senses and realized that a .01-.03 slower 2nd shot is miniscule and I could / should carry a more powerful and / or larger bullet.
    My preference then varied from high KE with the 10mm or 357 Sig, to the compromise 40 S&W, or 45 for maximum diameter.

No more indecision.

I'm sticking with 45 diameter whether it be 6+1 of 45 acp/45 GAP (Glock 36, 39) or 8+1 45 acp/45 GAP (Glock 30SF, 38)

Studies that show smaller bullets (9mm) being as effective as larger bullets (45) are based on bullets hitting various places in the torso of different people.
    Logically, if two bullets of equal design, struck the exact same spot the bigger bullet would offer a potentially quicker incapacitation against an attacker.
    I'm not buying the notion that the smaller one will work "just as well" as the bigger one:
    940451.jpg 940452.jpg

Stories like this are not going to sway me back toward greater capacity over diameter:
    Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

If unfortunately approached by an armed attacker (or two) in a parking lot demanding money and threatening life, a couple of well placed 45 bullets are more likely to incapacitate the attacker faster than a couple of equally well placed smaller bullets; I also think the one or two attacker scenario is more realistic than being attacked by a small crime mob where capacity would be obviously preferred.

I am resolute to stick with 45 diameter bullets.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What's your BUG?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member

I'm all-in for resolute resolutions...I think I am, maybe not, uhhh...never mind. What was the question?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I have carried 9mm (briefly), 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 10mm and 45 within the last year.
    I allowed my shot timer to briefly sway me to the 9mm; however, I soon came back to my senses and realized that a .01-.03 slower 2nd shot is miniscule and I could / should carry a more powerful and / or larger bullet.
    My preference then varied from high KE with the 10mm or 357 Sig, to the compromise 40 S&W, or 45 for maximum diameter.

No more indecision.

I'm sticking with 45 diameter whether it be 6+1 of 45 acp/45 GAP (Glock 36, 39) or 8+1 45 acp/45 GAP (Glock 30SF, 38)

Studies that show smaller bullets (9mm) being as effective as larger bullets (45) are based on bullets hitting various places in the torso of different people.
    Logically, if two bullets of equal design, struck the exact same spot the bigger bullet would offer a potentially quicker incapacitation against an attacker.
    I'm not buying the notion that the smaller one will work "just as well" as the bigger one:
    940451.jpg 940452.jpg

Stories like this are not going to sway me back toward greater capacity over diameter:

If unfortunately approached by an armed attacker (or two) in a parking lot demanding money and threatening life, a couple of well placed 45 bullets are more likely to incapacitate the attacker faster than a couple of equally well placed smaller bullets; I also think the one or two attacker scenario is more realistic than being attacked by a small crime mob where capacity would be obviously preferred.

There is no doubt that there is an advantage to be had by using a bigger/heavier/wider bullet.

Just how much of an advantage there is, well, that's hard to say definitively, but even if it is just small advantage, I'll take it.
    gatorbait51 and CDW4ME like this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post

No more indecision.

940451.jpg 940452.jpg

Well, OK, I guess if you insist, then you have my permission.
    gatorbait51 and CDW4ME like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by 481 View Post
    There is no doubt that there is an advantage to be had by using a bigger/heavier/wider bullet.

Just how much of an advantage there is, well, that's hard to say definitively, but even if it is just small advantage, I'll take it.
    Ah, but by that same token if you can shoot just a little bit faster with 9mm, isn't that also an advantage you would want? I really think it's a no-brainer that a .45 is better than a 9mm... but is one .45 better than two 9mm's? Are two .45's better than 3 or 4 9mm's?

So shoot the biggest caliber you can shoot quickly and accurately and drive on. That really ought to put an end to the Caliber Wars...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

If it works for you that's all that matters. Stay resolute and carry on.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Rock n roll hoochie koo. I'm on board. I've never played with 45 GAP and probably never will. But ACP, you betcha.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Ah, but by that same token if you can shoot just a little bit faster with 9mm, isn't that also an advantage you would want? I really think it's a no-brainer that a .45 is better than a 9mm... but is one .45 better than two 9mm's? Are two .45's better than 3 or 4 9mm's?

So shoot the biggest caliber you can shoot quickly and accurately and drive on. That really ought to put an end to the Caliber Wars...
    ^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^
    svgheartland likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Works for me. I carry a government size 1911 in .45 ACP about 95% of the time with Winchester PDX1 230 grain. My one and only 9mm is a Sig P938 only carried as a pocket BUG. My other carry calibers are 10mm and .44 magnum for occasional rural and woods carry.
    gatorbait51 and bigpapa like this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

It's good to be resolute. I fully support your decision... For you.

I am just as resolute that the 9mm I carry will protect me. If I'm wrong, please feel free to say, "told ya so".
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post

I never said that being able to shoot "a little bit faster" wasn't an advantage. I am sure that it is......if one can keep their fire on target.

In adhering to OP's topic under discussion, namely "Bigger Is Better, Diameter Over Capacity", I merely confined my response to the mass and diameter of the bullets we use since it would be kinda rude to take the thread off-topic like that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by 481 View Post
    I never said that being able to shoot "a little bit faster" wasn't an advantage. I am sure that it is......if one can keep their fire on target.

In adhering to OP's topic under discussion, namely "Bigger Is Better, Diameter Over Capacity", I merely confined my response to the mass and diameter of the bullets we use since it would be kinda rude to take the thread off-topic like that.
    Since the OP included the line "I allowed my shot timer to briefly sway me to the 9mm; however, I soon came back to my senses and realized that a .01-.03 slower 2nd shot is miniscule and I could / should carry a more powerful and / or larger bullet." I hardly think I took it off-topic (much less rudely).

No offense intended, sheesh.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    No doubt that a 45 is better than a 9mm. Heck I would agree that a 40 S&W and a 357 Sig are better too. Maybe sometime I'll check out a gun like the XDs in 45.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links