When did .45 acp Become Expensive?

This is a discussion on When did .45 acp Become Expensive? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was a boy, The US Army, still used 1911s. The reasons for buying a 1911 were much like the reasons for buy a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: When did .45 acp Become Expensive?

When did .45 acp Become Expensive?

When I was a boy, The US Army, still used 1911s. The reasons for buying a 1911 were much like the reasons for buy a 9 mm, today.

The ammo would always be available, as its what the armed forces used. The ammo was cheap, and surplus stuff was everywhere, for darn little money. So you could shoot a great combat weapon, and do it cheaply, with what was assumed to be an always plentiful source of ammo.

Shooting any ammo in todays market aint cheap, but compared to 9mm, .45 is expensive. So, my question is, "When the heck did that happen, and why?"

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    When I was a boy, The US Army, still used 1911s. The reasons for buying a 911 were much like the reasons for buy a 9 mm, today.

The ammo would always be available, as its what the armed forces used. The ammo was cheap, and surplus stuff was everywhere, for darn little money. So you could shoot a great combat weapon, and do it cheaply, with what was assumed to be an always plentiful source of ammo.

Shooting any ammo in todays market aint cheap, but compared to 9mm, .45 is expensive. So, my question is, "When the heck did that happen, and why?"

Thats what I've been wondering also.
    StormRhydr and gatorbait51 like this.

Nice topic- often thought the same as you do.
    I have my opinions but, NSA is watching........
    R.M.G.O.-Member
    NRA-Life Member

About the time Obama said he would not take your guns. The price sky rocketed.
    The Army was still using the 1911 for some time when I served.
    The M9 officially replaced the 1911 in 1990, however it was a while before they were all out of issue and stored.
    Bill Clinton had most of what was in storage when he was in office destroyed to prevent public sale.

When did it become so expensive? About the time our current President took office. It's had some ups and downs since then like the rest of the calibers, but everything is generally higher than it used to be. Tried to buy any 22lr lately?

NATO calibers like the 9mm get a little break because the foreign manufacturers are producing it for the rest of the world and much of the worldwide military uses 9mm. I can't think of any military off the top of my head that uses .45 acp other than us.

VIP Member
    Lots of reasons. The most basic is that it takes more "stuff" to make a 45 round than a 9mm round. Thus it would make sense that it is more expensive. Add to that the fact that more people are shooting 9mm than 45 and the manufacturers make more 9mm, meaning they can charge more for 45. Then there's the simple fact that most of us 9mm shooters will simply move to something else if 9mm prices shoot through the roof or it gets difficult to find. 45 guys tend to be 45 guys and the people making them know it. So they feel confident in charging you more to carry it.

(I should note that my BUG/deep concealment gun is a 45 so I'm the odd duck that carried a wimpy 9mm backed up by a man's 45!)
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

when the army went over to 9mm. it made 45acp harder to get and the price went up. no demand for the 45acp ammo when the military went over to the 9mm.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

It's all over the place here. The store that always has it usually has a $25 option and a$30 option. Half a mile away lawman is $20 a box if they have it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    About the time Obama said he would not take your guns. The price sky rocketed.
    The Army was still using the 1911 for some time when I served.
    The M9 officially replaced the 1911 in 1990, however it was a while before they were all out of issue and stored.
    Bill Clinton had most of what was in storage when he was in office destroyed to prevent public sale.
    Man, thats criminal! Destroying lord knows how much ammo when it could have been sold to the people.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Not sure about others, but for me, it was really that "post Newtown panic" that more or less broke my back as far as .45acp goes. Of course, it drove up all ammo prices but .45 just became, and still is, ridiculous. I'm still having a hard time finding .45 FMJ locally for less that $25.00 / box which is just plain silly. Middle of 2012, I could usually find .45 for $16.00 - $18.00 / box locally which, although it wasn't great, wasn't horrible either. Now, though, forget about it... I don't think I've shot my 1911 in over a year largely because of ammo prices. I'm having a hard enough time just being able to feed my 9mms....

Senior Member Array Christopher67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    when the army went over to 9mm. it made 45acp harder to get and the price went up. no demand for the 45acp ammo when the military went over to the 9mm.

didn't the Marines just order a bunch of 1911s not that long ago?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28...liber-pistols/

I will add on this ..

Unlike 9mm 45 is not a world round as other said esp for the mil etc.. So a lot of 9mm were are seeing now may be swiss etc as they used it ..

Also with any supruls round most of the supplies have dried up in many place ( why I dont own a 30cal/7.62 tok etc) you often have to buy a lot when you find it

And for me as other said the biggest issue is all the talk of gun grabs but worst then that increased taxs on ammo or like what NY/CT etc are doing and saying you have to buy ammo in person with a card to do so I would bet a lot of people are ordering all they can now in some place ... And of course people are still stocking deep on ammo just in case..

But around here all I am seeing for ammo for sale ( and at 20 or so a box which while not great ..) is 40 cal and 45 no 9mm no 38 no 357.. I think it is where you live ...

Plus now other then maybe the spec ops and the cost guard and maybe the marines and some air force they have switch to 9mm so lot less 45 being made for the mil and less production lines...

I am seeing bulk steel case 45 from Russian pretty cheep but not all guns like he steel stuff that much

Hey it could be worse you could have a 44 special or a 32acp that is fun to find ammo for ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Notwithstanding the tin foil hat crowd...

Economics.

What is arguably the most "American" gun? 1911

What's it shoot? .45 ACP*

Bingo....

*I know it also is chambered in 9mm, 10mm and 38 Super but for the most part it's .45

$40 for 100 around here. 9mm is about half that.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Locally , .45 has run anywhere from 65.00/50 down to 27.95 for 50 .. we are talking ball ammo here . .38 Special has been a bear to find as well.

0.38 Super has been interesting too. Prior to December, relatively easy to get and running between $0.35-0.42 /round . Since then a bit more scarce and a tad higher. .I am looking at a case for $2366.00 at present. A case of .45 ACP run anywhere from $425 up to just shy of $600.00

Amazing .. I think post Newtown hysteria is the primary culprit
    357and40 likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links