Shipping Costs

This is a discussion on Shipping Costs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sat down last night and found what I thought was a pretty decent price for .357 Mag ammo at Bud's. I put in an ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By OutWestSystems
  • 3 Post By Kilowatt3
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By donp326
  • 1 Post By M1Abrams

Thread: Shipping Costs

Shipping Costs

I sat down last night and found what I thought was a pretty decent price for .357 Mag ammo at Bud's. I put in an order for six boxes. When I went to check out, they were showing a shipping weight of 60 pounds, and estimated shipping cost of $44!!!

Now, by my estimation, a box of .357's weighs a little over two pounds, so the total weight should have been more like 15 pounds, max. I have had whole (1000 rd.) cases of 5.56 shipped from other distributors for around $15-$20, and they're a WHOLE lot heavier than six boxes of .357!

Needless to say, I'm a little PO'd, and I cancelled the order. I can buy overpriced stuff locally, pay sales tax, and still come out ahead (or at least break even). And I'll have my ammo NOW, instead of waiting a few days.

My question is, has anyone else seen this with Bud's? Do they just default to 10 pounds per box of ammo for an estimate, then correct it later to reflect the actual weight? ...Or, is this just their way of sticking you for an extra $6 or so per box, while keeping a good position on the ammo search engines by keeping the "price" low?

Whaddaya think, fellows?
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    It could have just been that when someone entered the product into the system they messed up the weight. I know I have done it a time or two. I would suggest contacting their customer service and bringing it to their attention, it is a good chance they know nothing about it.
    oneshot and DontTreadOnI like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    It could have just been that when someone entered the product into the system they messed up the weight... I would suggest contacting their customer service and bringing it to their attention, it is a good chance they know nothing about it.
    Well, I called them (as I knew I really should have in the first place), and you're right.

They updated the shipping weight in their system, and the second time it came out to $14, with insurance. I can live with that!

Thanks for the reply.
    oneshot, ccw9mm and Aceoky like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I always check and double check when ordering ammo. You never know what might be messed up or misconstrued.
    I just ordered some .45acp from a vendor's post here last week. I wanted a case. And the picture on the website showed a case. But I had to order it by the box.
    I kept looking at my total as I was filling things out and clicking Submit to see if there was a sudden price jump indicating I had just ordered 20 cases, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I always check and double check when ordering ammo. You never know what might be messed up or misconstrued.
    I just ordered some .45acp from a vendor's post here last week. I wanted a case. And the picture on the website showed a case. But I had to order it by the box.
    I kept looking at my total as I was filling things out and clicking Submit to see if there was a sudden price jump indicating I had just ordered 20 cases, lol.
    Heck, the way things have been lately, if they'd let you order 20 cases at a decent price, you probably should just go for it!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Heck, the way things have been lately, if they'd let you order 20 cases at a decent price, you probably should just go for it!
    I don't like ordering twenty cases at a time without throwing a gun or three in there somewhere
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I order about 90% of my ammo online and always watch the shipping charges. If you pay attention, you can often get free shipping from Bass Pro Shops, Sportsmans Guide and others. And quite often a more expensive per-box can be a better deal due to that suppliers cheaper shipping charges. I've struck Natchez off my list because their shipping charges ALWAYS kill the deal.

Ammo to go and SGAmmo have never messed uo the charges on shipping. I have ordered a lot of ammo from them over the years.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

+1 on SGAmmo, they're fair on their shipping prices. Some companies totally try to rape on the shipping. So look at the total costs per round and sometimes the lowest box price might not be the lowest price. Btw - Cheaper than dirt really sucks on their shipping prices. IMO.
    Aceoky likes this.

Links