"You should know better than........"

This is a discussion on "You should know better than........" within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; SO - as stated in an earlier thread, Gramps ordered a 14 ob. spring for my G26 because I could not rack the slide all ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ShooterGranny

Thread: "You should know better than........"

VIP Member

"You should know better than........"

SO - as stated in an earlier thread, Gramps ordered a 14 ob. spring for my G26 because I could not rack the slide all the way back, either to "show empty" or to properly seat the first round from a full mag. (Yes, guys and gals, I am working on building up some strength in hands and arms now also.)

Then yesterday he took it to the range in the cold to shoot a few different weight rounds to make sure it worked with the new lighter spring. He brought back 3 very respectable targets, all from around 10 yards. I was particularly impressed with the perfectly round holes made by the 147gr bullets vs. the 135 and the 115 gr. Gun ran perfectly until Gramps got too cold to stay out any longer. That said, I was now in need of more SD ammo.

SO today he went to shop for ammo for me. He said the price at Wal-Mart was $5 higher per box for the same brand that he bought at our local gun store. HOWEVER, what he bought was Federal "light recoil"..........which I do not want and will not use for SD because of reading that they don't do well on a gel test. And I don't have recoil problems anyway. AND the brass bullets were corroded looking, new in the box.

So, back he went. And that brings us to the subject line:

Woman clerk at gun store: "You should know better than to buy anything for your wife here.....!"

YEP.

Moral of the story - particularly for guys who want to pick out guns Or ammo: Take your lady and let her do her own picking out. It makes for a much happier ending, and uses a lot less gasoline!

Oh - what I wound up with was 2 boxes of Hornady 147 gr. full power hollow points. Not labeled SD on the box but I think they will do the job very well if the unthinkable happens and I ever have to use them in fear for my life. (And the cost was $6.50 lower per box than the Federal "low recoil" ones!)
    Kavalander and Aceoky like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    You wouldn't need a lighter spring if yo were milking cows or stripping their udders after milking.

The old man still keeps trying to do it right.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    You wouldn't need a lighter spring if yo were milking cows or stripping their udders after milking.
    The old man still keeps trying to do it right.
    Hey - I "milk" the milk bag when I make almond milk!!! (I pretend it's an animal......) Doesn't that count for something?
    And, yes, Gramps does still keep trying, bless his heart.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Links