Shipping Ammo???

Shipping Ammo???

This is a discussion on Shipping Ammo??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it possible for a civilian to ship ammo through the mail or UPS/FedEX? IF if so, is it easy to do or do you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Shipping Ammo???

Question Shipping Ammo???

Is it possible for a civilian to ship ammo through the mail or UPS/FedEX? IF if so, is it easy to do or do you have to jump through hoops to ship it? Do I have to do everything through a gunshop with a FFL? The reason I ask is that friends and family in Florida have no problem buying ammo at the local Walmarts/gun shops and the prices are very good. I will be flying down to Florida at the end of March and I would like to pick up a bunch of ammo and ship it to my house. It would be nice to pick up some ammo at a good price, but I don't want to become Public Enemy #1 on the FBI's Most Wanted list. Thanks for any suggestions.---Sturgis

P.S.-- We can no longer order ammo online in NY State, but we can have ammo shipped directly to a licenced gunshop (FFL). How much do gunshops usually charge for having out of state orders shipped to their stores? I'm sure that some of the local shops will charge me through the nose for their services, thus eliminating any possible savings by ordering online. The ammo prices in NY are through the roof and certain ammo is impoosible to find at the local shops. Thanks again for any suggestions/info.---Sturgis
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

No problem shipping it with UPS, other than their extortionary pricing. They'll want to label it with the ORM-D small arms ammunition tag, but there's no hazmat fee associated with assembled smokeless ammunition.

You can probably bring a small quantity back with you on the airplane; check to see your airline's rules. There's usually a weight limitation of about 11 pounds.
    baren, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

You're in NYC. I wouldn't presume to know "Draco's" mind in that Draconian place, with respect to arms or ammo.

How about asking "Draco"? I'm assuming that the statutes and ordinances have specifics as to what constitutes lawful shipment. Perhaps speaking with your sheriff or police departments, to clarify.

Of course, recognize that the whole point is to get you on "the list" as an offender, with these awful statutes. Caution is due, even when simply posing a question to "the authorities" regarding such stuff. You never know what it might dredge up, what "list" you might get on.

Good luck, whatever you find.

All I can say is that I'm glad I live elsewhere. Nice to be free.
    hello1900 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Cancel the flight. Rent a car. Problem solved.
    gatorbait51, oneshot and Nmuskier like this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    No problem shipping it with UPS, other than their extortionary pricing. They'll want to label it with the ORM-D small arms ammunition tag, but there's no hazmat fee associated with assembled smokeless ammunition.

You can probably bring a small quantity back with you on the airplane; check to see your airline's rules. There's usually a weight limitation of about 11 pounds.

I was at a CVS store when they got a delivery in. The box was marked ORM-D. I asked the clerk why the label on a pharmacy delivery and she didn't know. Turns out ORM-D is the symbol for any hazardous material, ammo, battery, spray cans. I have seen this for decades and never knew what it meant. Google answered the question.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've shipped 1000 round boxes to my son in IN from here in FL. No problem, just walk into the UPS store pay for the shipping, which wasn't too bad, and it's on its way. I couldn't do it at any UPS store, I had to go to a regional terminal.
    gatorbait51, Aceoky and ccw9mm like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    A few of the UPS store clerks are libtards and refuse to accept the shipment. It's not UPS policy though. I've shipped ammo many times. Just mark the box ORM-D on 2 sides. No problem.
    Last edited by ctr; February 16th, 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    A few of the UPS store clerks are libtards and refuse to accept the shipment. It's not UPS policy though. I've shipped ammo many times. Just mark the box ORD-M on 2 sides. No problem.
    Did you mean to type: "Mark the box ORM-D" ????
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

A little review here...
    I didn't mark the box with anything. Local UPS stores won't touch it, and don't lie about what's in the package. The 'regional offices' will ship it in a heartbeat...no problemo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1. You must go to a UPS hub office and not to a "UPS Store", etc.
    2. Either you or the clerk at UPS must mark the box "ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms." UPS has such stickers already made but I usually do this myself. You can find the required format on the Net.
    3. Your shipment must go UPS Ground.

The restrictive contents do up the price a little but it's not like buying a house or anything. You'll be ok.

ETA: They look like this: http://cdn.firearmstalk.com/forums/a...abel-d1893.gif

If you ship a lot of ammo, you can buy a roll of these from a lot of gun sites. UPS has their own version. For the guy who ships 1-2 times a year, you can literally just take a marker and write the words inside and above a rectangle that you draw on the box. It doesn't have to be pretty. Must be on at least 2 sides.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Did you mean to type: "Mark the box ORM-D" ????
    Yes, I'd did. Fixed it thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I was at a CVS store when they got a delivery in. The box was marked ORM-D. I asked the clerk why the label on a pharmacy delivery and she didn't know. Turns out ORM-D is the symbol for any hazardous material, ammo, battery, spray cans. I have seen this for decades and never knew what it meant. Google answered the question.
    ORM-D = "Other Regulated Materials - Domestic"
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    ORM-D = "Other Regulated Materials - Domestic"
    Yup. We use it to ship aerosols. It's not technically hazmat it restricts transportation to ground only.

We had a couple of "ground" shipments to Hawaii attempt to board an airplane. Needless to say the FAA was less than happy about this. We have since updated our system to decline ground shipments to Hawaii. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

Even with the cost of shipping the box via UPS, I will save a bunch of money because of the inflated ammo prices in NYC and the upcoming NY State charge for doing a license check for all ammo purchases. Gonna bring back a few boxes on the airplane, too. 11 lbs is the limit for the plane. Thanks for all the replies.---Sturgis
    S&W 64-4 38 cal
    S&W 640 38 cal
    Glock19 9mm
    S&W M&P 45C
    Mossberg 500
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links