Anything particularly special about hand loading .357 SIG?

This is a discussion on Anything particularly special about hand loading .357 SIG? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really love this caliber/cartridge, but ammo is cost prohibitive. Is there anything particularly unique about hand loading it, given its necked case? How difficult ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By ChrisATX
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By attrapereves
  • 1 Post By HillyBilly
  • 1 Post By Fisher10
  • 2 Post By conancontrarian

Thread: Anything particularly special about hand loading .357 SIG?

I really love this caliber/cartridge, but ammo is cost prohibitive. Is there anything particularly unique about hand loading it, given its necked case? How difficult is brass and FMJ ammo to come across?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Like necked rifle cases, it has to be lubed or it will get stuck. Because the neck is so short, it has a tendency to have less grip on the bullet, so you may need to polish down the expander ball a bit. I know some guys who make 357 SIG cases from .40 S&W cases. The neck is a tad shorter but works fine.

Other than that, I don't know of any significant reloading differences. I may be able to help with empty brass if you can't fine a source.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks OldVet. Great info and thank you for your generous offer to help. I've avoided owning a pistol chambered in .357 SIG for cost reasons, time to start saving! :)
    Eric357 likes this.

I decided I did not want to mess with reloading the 40 S&W or the 357 Sig.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Followup: standard 9 mm FMJ (.355") work ok in this cartridge for making range ammo?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Despite being called a ".357" it uses 9mm bullets.
    Eric357 and ChrisATX like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    Followup: standard 9 mm FMJ (.355") work ok in this cartridge for making range ammo?
    Make sure you get flat point bullets. The rounded ones will not feed.
    ChrisATX likes this.

Accurate sizing is very important, take your time, you can't read enough about reloading. It is very rewarding to reload especially the 357 Sig. I really enjoy mine, my favorite right now is a 95 gr Missouri bullet that shoots about 1100 fps. Very accurate & not real hard to handle. I dont like to run them crazy fast, harder on equipment & the shooter. For me as long as it feeds & goes where it is supposed to it's all good. Enjoy..
    ChrisATX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
    Make sure you get flat point bullets. The rounded ones will not feed.
    As in:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/214...l-metal-jacket ?

Yes, most flat point or hollow point bullets will work. These are hollow points at about half of that cost. 9mm 124gr Plated Hollow Point
    ETA: AND in stock with free shipping.
    ChrisATX likes this.

New Member Array conancontrarian's Avatar
    My two primary handgun rounds are the 45 Super and the 357 Sig. Both shoot best with compensated barrels. The 357 Sig uses a Glock 31C for great results. I tend to shoot both rounds at > 1300 FPS. My Glock recipe uses Starline cases, Sierra 115 GR JHP (#8110) loaded with AA-No.7 at 11.7 grains. Loaded cartidge OAL is 1.14". Starline case lenght is consistent enough that I don't worry about it till the third reload. Primers WSP. Key to consistent performence is use of a Redding (#85434) taper crimp to just kiss the cartidge neck after bullet seating. Die set is Redding (#80434) full length 3-die set. All making for very good accuracy from a light potentially jumpy firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by HillyBilly View Post
    Accurate sizing is very important, take your time, you can't read enough about reloading. It is very rewarding to reload especially the 357 Sig. I really enjoy mine, my favorite right now is a 95 gr Missouri bullet that shoots about 1100 fps. Very accurate & not real hard to handle. I dont like to run them crazy fast, harder on equipment & the shooter. For me as long as it feeds & goes where it is supposed to it's all good. Enjoy..
    Bad Bob and ChrisATX like this.

Sponsored Links