Weird ammo find

Weird ammo find

This is a discussion on Weird ammo find within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was checking out a shop today and they had ammo I am sure some of you remember but I have not heard of... It was ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom

Thread: Weird ammo find

Weird ammo find

Was checking out a shop today and they had ammo I am sure some of you remember but I have not heard of... It was Hirtenberger 9mm +P+ ....

For thous who dont remember what this was ... From what I can tell there were two main groups

the L1A1 ammo this is not at all handgun safe it is at and over +P+ it was made for the British military for mp5 and other sub-guns .. Some handguns will fire it but you dont want to use much of it all ... it is no longer legal for sale in this country it was just too hot for handguns ... From what I can find this is one of only three handgun rounds out there that can not be fired in a handgun .. IMI and I think Rem made some for LEO and Mil use

The other is the fun one ..It was made for the Austrian Police as a round that can penetrated a vehicle but still be a hollow point ... The down or up side is that this round is borderline AP as it can go threw leval 2a armor and the such ... This is also a very very hot +P + round ... But most handguns esp glocks ( I think it was in fact made for glocks ) can handle it ...

Neat find I think... Esp if you have a 9mm rifle ... If I am wrong on this info let me know there is a lot of back and forth on this stuff esp the la1a round ...

I might get some and see what happens .. Course I may have to get that 4k HK94 the dealer had to go with it
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

The Austrian Police load if fired at some one without armor? Will it expand over penetrate or what?

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    The Austrian Police load if fired at some one without armor? Will it expand over penetrate or what?
    Oh it will expand I think ... It is just a really really hot loaded SP round .. It was not made to penetrate armor per say but as it was so fast and soft point and I guess the way the tip was made for penetrating glass it tends to go though things...

What I was told was that it was a unique round sort of a weird AP/Glaser mix .. Basicy max penetration with min over pentraion .. Course I dont have a spare car and test dummies to test that out ...

If you google image it there is photos that I can not seem to post here showing it ...
    tdave likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Sponsored Links