9mm PD Ammo

This is a discussion on 9mm PD Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So whats the best PD ammo? I know there isn't an actual answer to this question that will fit every gun and every person but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 9mm PD Ammo

9mm PD Ammo

So whats the best PD ammo? I know there isn't an actual answer to this question that will fit every gun and every person but what is everyone using, what have you tried and didn't like? Currently have the Hornady Critical Defense and they handle well out of my gun. Just curious what everyone prefers. Always looking to try new stuff

2. Remove Ads

There are quite a few PD rounds with a proven street track record. My personal favorite in 9mm is the Gold Dot 124gr +p. Many law enforcement agencies use it and that is good enough for me.

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    124 Gold Dot or Hornady Critical Duty
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion, Diamondback DB-15, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, S&W Bodyguard .380, FN Five SeveN 5.7.

Semper

Most of my stuff is CD or some form of Hornday ....Really it is a per gun thing some dont like CD that much.. But for me CD seems to be a very good round and low flash ...

I also like PDX1 rounds .. On my list to try is golden saber and hydro shock and silvertips

Shooting the Bull has a nice site of photos of round expensation that show a lot

Now for some guns I carry diffeent stuff like 32 I carry euro FMJ or powerball rounds .. Or 25 FMJ euro

Of course now and then I will carry Black talons or super scary banned from imports rounds ( either AP or +P+) just for the giggles
    cjkent likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

+1 for Speer Gold Dots 124 +P, but any major manufacturer's SD round that cycles in your gun and that you shoot well will do.
    Rock_Castle and WrongRecroom like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    This one of those mythical/personal questions like best holster, best conceal carry gun, best knife, etc. It's been asked a hundred times (and them some) on this forum. You might try the search feature and see the number of threads that might interest you. Or you can try this site which I found/find to be helpful:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Federal hst 147g are good too. Pretty much anything listed so far in this thead is good.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

For my CZ I like critical defense for my SP an Mod 60 I prefer Buffalo Bore non plus p 158 gr low flash low smoke in .357 125gr jhp buffalo bore
    WrongRecroom likes this.

I wanna try the HST but I can NEVER find them
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion, Diamondback DB-15, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, S&W Bodyguard .380, FN Five SeveN 5.7.

Semper

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Most of my stuff is CD or some form of Hornday ....Really it is a per gun thing some dont like CD that much.. But for me CD seems to be a very good round and low flash ...

I also like PDX1 rounds .. On my list to try is golden saber and hydro shock and silvertips

Shooting the Bull has a nice site of photos of round expensation that show a lot

Now for some guns I carry diffeent stuff like 32 I carry euro FMJ or powerball rounds .. Or 25 FMJ euro

Of course now and then I will carry Black talons or super scary banned from imports rounds ( either AP or +P+) just for the giggles
    I was at my local shop a few weeks back and overheard the owner talking to a customer about the black talons. He said that they are back on the market but under another name? Can't remember the name though But heard to many bad things on the silver tips. They cycle fine out of my gun but I've heard that they dont penetrate very well compared to others. Gonna try out the gold dots and the hydro shocks.

Barnes has a black coated bullet. That may be what the LGS owner was talking about.

Semper

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersx49 View Post
    I was at my local shop a few weeks back and overheard the owner talking to a customer about the black talons. He said that they are back on the market but under another name? Can't remember the name though But heard to many bad things on the silver tips. They cycle fine out of my gun but I've heard that they dont penetrate very well compared to others. Gonna try out the gold dots and the hydro shocks.

SXT rounds are black talons the joke is they stand for Same Exect thing ...Also PDX1 rounds are close to talons ..

And yeah back in the 1986 Mimai shootout the claim has been by some that silver tips failed to work right ( as I remember if they had the bad guy would have been killed before he killed at least one more good guy) ..

Really what you are looking for is a round that passed the fb-i testing on penetration ( 12inch and 3 layers of demin ) and is hopefully low flash ... But of course the key is whatever works in your gun .....

Gold dots are good as are Hyrdo shocks older rounds but good ..

Of you do what I might do and get some of this old ammo that is +P+ rated and was made to breach auto glass for the Austrian police ...

Which 9mm ammo has passed the FBI standards?

And again the think to remember is that some guns esp older Mil guns will not feed HP at all.. As a lot of old mil gun ( lugers HI powers even some P6 ) were made to fire the only round they legal could FMJ so HP might not work in that case Guard dog or similare ammo is good to used ( HP round with a FMJ coating ) .. And some handguns just done like some ammo .. I know that first hand
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

My department issues the Federal LE Tactical HST 124 grain +P. We have been very pleased with it.

124gr. Golg dots

VIP Member
    I run the 124 +p gold dots as well. Seems to be popular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links