Carry Reloads or Factory - Page 2

Carry Reloads or Factory

This is a discussion on Carry Reloads or Factory within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry Black Talons, mostly I guess because the government tried to tell me I couldnít, just an obstinate SOB I guess. But I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I currently carry Black Talons, mostly I guess because the government tried to tell me I couldnít, just an obstinate SOB I guess. But I have reloaded for 30 years and would have no problem defending the use of my reloads in a shooting if it came up; ďThat is the ammunition I practice with, I am most familiar with it, I know exactly how and where it shoots which makes me less likely to endanger innocent bystanders if/when I have to defend myself or my familyĒ.

our Pima County Attorney put out a memo some time ago that anyone using reloads in a defensive situation would be prosecuted, no matter what.
    In that case you would be prudent to carry factory, though a civil suit for malicious prosecution would probably in order if someone were to be charged by the @hole.
    Last edited by F350; January 28th, 2005 at 11:11 AM.

What bench is that?

~A

Quote Originally Posted by silvercorvette
    I have been reloading for a couple years. I started out knowing nothing about it and taught myself rather quickly. You are correct about it not being simple, but it isn't rocket science either. Work slowly and carefully, buy good equipment, and have a few reloading manuals on hand to refer to. I bought a S&W .500 Magnum a while back and I couldnít afford to shoot it if I didnít reload. Store bought ammo runs about $3 to $4 a pop, homemade is about 75 cents a shot. Trust me it isnít all that hard to do. And you donít need a lot of space to reload. I had to move my press from the basement and I set it up on a small tool bench in the garage the only takes up a couple square feet of floor space
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    What bench is that?

~A
    Sears item #00922201000
    Mfr. model #22201

The link below does not stay active, it times out you must copy the Sears item # and paste it in search for box

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/sear...4&gobutton=find

Sears, It goes together in a couple minutes, it took me more time to varnish the ĺ wood top than it took to put the thing together. The legs are adjustable for height in2 inch increments. I have back and knee problems so I canít stand in one spot too long. I canít sit too long on a stool either so I was able to get the height perfect for sitting on a stool standing. It is strong enough for an elephant to sit on, ok maybe a very small baby elephant. I think the box it came in said it was rated for 300 or maybe 500 pounds. The press needs to be solid on the up stroke so I added a 2X4 with adjustable turnbuckles to make it solid.

PS there are no electrical code violations, those exposed wires are for the stereo speakers I have in my basement and both of my garages.

Craftsman Miter Saw Stand

Sears item #00922201000
    Mfr. model #22201

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...&gobutton=find
    Last edited by silvercorvette; January 28th, 2005 at 12:16 PM.

Pardon my vast and expansive ignorance, but honestly how the heck is anyone supposed to be able to examine a "Crime Scene" and tell the difference between a reload and a factory load assuming the reload is done to spec?

If you shot someone in defense with a reload and didn't open your mouth, how would they know?

In addition to that, how on earth could you possibly make it seem like a bad thing to a jury? I for instance would probably understand the reloading terminology if it was explained to me but that's because I have an interest in such things. Most people wouldn't have a clue.

And the people that might possibly have a clue like me aren't going to convict anyone for shooting in self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Pardon my vast and expansive ignorance, but honestly how the heck is anyone supposed to be able to examine a "Crime Scene" and tell the difference between a reload and a factory load assuming the reload is done to spec?

If you shot someone in defense with a reload and didn't open your mouth, how would they know?

In addition to that, how on earth could you possibly make it seem like a bad thing to a jury? I for instance would probably understand the reloading terminology if it was explained to me but that's because I have an interest in such things. Most people wouldn't have a clue.

And the people that might possibly have a clue like me aren't going to convict anyone for shooting in self defense.
    You are most likely right, but there are some brands of bullets that may be identified if they havenít been too deformed. Marks on the used brass can also be used to figure out how many times a case has been used. To answer your other question I'll just quote myself in my first post in this thread "I challenge anyone to find one single case where a person involved in a good shoot was successfully convicted because he used hand loads."

"I challenge anyone to find one single case where a person involved in a good shoot was successfully convicted because he used hand loads."
    Don't know of any, except that I don't intend to be the first.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

The ammo I have reloaded for carry in the past has always been in brand new brass with sealed primers so there would be no indication there. The biggest giveaway is the bullet, if you use a bullet that is not factory loaded, any ballistics lab worth its salt will likely be able to determine the make, unless it is a pass through and hits a cement wall or something. I got to know a student at the university here that was working on his masters in forensic science; he showed me what they have in their ballistics library here. They have bullets fired into water and gelatin along with a data base of photos of fired bullets; they can compare the expansion characteristics of known bullets to evidence bullets etc. and pretty well nail it down.

OEM powder and primers are not the same as what the reloader buys.

I know there is no way to duplicate factory ammo.

Remember--criminal court is just one stanza in the hymn.

Me? Well factory ammo is in my carry guns.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Factory ammo only for me. I have heard that the DA will look heavily on what carry ammo you carry. I use what the PD's use, which is Speer Gold Dot's and Hydrashock.
    Never judge a book by its cover.

Here is the way I look at it. If you have to shoot someone in self defense, then you are either justified or your not. If you are justified in using deadly force to defend your self then it really does not matter weather you use a base ball bat, a sword, a gun or just run them over with your car. What kind of bullets you use in your gun are the least of your worries. If you are not justified to use deadly force then you are screwed anyway.

If a prosecutor is an anti-gun liberal and looking to make you out as a scumbag. He will just pick somthing about you, your choice of gun, your choice of ammo or your personality and make it seem evil anyway. If the law in your area says you were justified to use a gun in self defense and a prosecutor is warping the facts of the case to get a conviction then he has no case.
    Just my 0.02

I do handload ammo but only for hunting with the goal of squeezing every last bit of accuracy out of my firearms. I use new factory ammo for carry & practice because I know it's reliable and safe for my handguns.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

Precisely Mech E. My carry gun is going to be loaded with Gold Dots.

If a prosecutor wants to go after me on the basis of my ammunition, he will simply point out to the jury that it says right there on the box:

The Choice for Law Enforcement

What am I, a mere civilian, doing with POLICE ammunition?

Because after all unless I wanted to kill policemen, I wouldn't use such dangerous high grade professional ammunition. On top of that I was using +P rounds, which are highly overloaded to be more deadly than a regular round. I have no business with such things.

You know and I know that's bull **** and just plain wrong, but that's how these people think.

FLM
    I reload only for practice. Ranger T and Gold Dots for carry.

I choose not to worry about people or events I have no control over.

I'm going to use the most effective ammo I can in my carry guns. For me that is Ranger T's (aka The Black Talons) If I have to shoot someone in self defense, I'm not going to be thinking "Oooh crap! I'm not sure I want to shoot this guy with Ranger T's and piss off a prosecutor." If the law says it is not illegal to use that type of ammo then you just need to make sure your lawyer educates the jury to that fact. A prosecutor can try and bend the truth all he wants but the facts are the facts.

I think you can be sure that if you ever need to shoot someone then your life, from that point on, will be hell anyway. So I'm not going to worry about it now because it is somthing that may never happen and I will have no control over it anyway. I have better things to worry about...like cupid shooting arrows through my heart and now I have to go shopping for a V-day gift.
    "EVERYONE is operating with only partial information" :hand27:
    Some Wise Guy, USA 2001

I've used my own reloads and factory loads to carry with. Personally, I enjoy most, for my 38 spls.. 148 gr hollow base wadcutter reversed. but that was quite a few years ago. I generally carry 9MM Geco BATs and 45 cal 185 gr hydra-shocks ( or is that 200 gr) I once carried Hornady 44 cal 265gr flat points with 23 gr of 2400 powder.. now THAT was a penetration round

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Ive heard the same thing about carry what cops do Glad i dont live in detroit they carry Ball rounds no Hp's allowed
    You left out the sub sonic part. My cousin is on the Det. PD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links