Carry Reloads or Factory - Page 3

Carry Reloads or Factory

This is a discussion on Carry Reloads or Factory within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your Right i did for get the subsonic part...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry Reloads or Factory

Your Right i did for get the subsonic part

I reload all of my practice ammo but carry factory ammo because the bullet used in the factory ammo isn't availalbe to reloaders. I do examine carefully the factory rounds. I have seen factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer that had the primer seated upside down.

Reading over the comments in the forum about ammo I like 200gr LSWC for my .45 and wondered about how they would be for carry. I then drifted to my S&W 357 6 shooter and thought about the last time I shot reloads(not mine) and it was a disaster. High primers really hung up the gun so I would never carry anything but factory loads in my .357. Oh yes, also got one stuck up the barrel!!! I don't shoot .38/.357 reloads nohow nomore!! LOL.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

1952 - 2006
    I have been reloading for over 25 years and have loaded tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. I own a Dillon XL650 and an RCBS Rockchucker. I use handloads for practice (economy) and hunting (accuracy and tailored to the rifle) however I will never carry reloads for defense purposes. I don't say that JUST for the legal problems it might incur but for practical reasons as well. During an NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Development Course held at Las Vegas Metro PD range, I had handloaded 1000 rounds for the course (4.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays over a 230gr hardball bullet) at approx round 300 my custom built $3000 1911 blew up, apparently caused by a double charge of powder, (the opinion of no less an authority than Les Baer himself). If this can happen to a seasoned reloader like me on the equipment I use then it can happen to anyone. How would you like to have your gun blow up in the middle of a fight for your life? I'll stick with Federal 230gr Hydra Shoks for defensive purposes. You can see the results of that blowup at: http://community.webshots.com/user/acparmed
    The photos are in my firearms collection. It cost me another $800 to have my gun rebuilt. All the rounds I loaded were done the night before the start of class, so maybe I got rushed and missed something, but I even chamber checked each one before going to the class. I still reload but a lot more cautiously than I did before the incident.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    I have been reloading for over 25 years and have loaded tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. I own a Dillon XL650 and an RCBS Rockchucker. I use handloads for practice (economy) and hunting (accuracy and tailored to the rifle) however I will never carry reloads for defense purposes. I don't say that JUST for the legal problems it might incur but for practical reasons as well. During an NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor Development Course held at Las Vegas Metro PD range, I had handloaded 1000 rounds for the course (4.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays over a 230gr hardball bullet) at approx round 300 my custom built $3000 1911 blew up, apparently caused by a double charge of powder, (the opinion of no less an authority than Les Baer himself). If this can happen to a seasoned reloader like me on the equipment I use then it can happen to anyone. How would you like to have your gun blow up in the middle of a fight for your life? I'll stick with Federal 230gr Hydra Shoks for defensive purposes. You can see the results of that blowup at: http://community.webshots.com/user/acparmed
    The photos are in my firearms collection. It cost me another $800 to have my gun rebuilt. All the rounds I loaded were done the night before the start of class, so maybe I got rushed and missed something, but I even chamber checked each one before going to the class. I still reload but a lot more cautiously than I did before the incident.
    I use the 650 also and was wonder ing if you use the powder check thingie that makes a buzz if you are over charged or if you miss a charge.

1952 - 2006
    Nope, that's the one feature I didn't order for it. It turned out to be an expensive omission. I know I'm a dummy.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

The 650 was my first press. I had never reloaded before so since I was new to the whole thing I decided I didn’t want to risk screwing up and decided to buy the powder check buzzer

When I first got married, my wives grandfather ran a small gun club in Jennings, Missouri. He found out that I had a FN49 in 8mm. He gave me a about 200 rounds of a soft tipped 8mm he worked up for me to try out. I thought that was very kind of him and took this ammo with me to the next range I went to. I was setting up with a buddy(a reloader) for a day of shooting. He was looking over this 8mm ammo of mine and noticed something was wrong with the primers...

We sorted through the ammo and removed so many rounds considered suspect that I just boxed it all back up. Turns out, they would get together at that club, go shooting, come back to the club, drink beer and reload. Never again.

I plan to begin reloading this year, but I'm gonna stick to factory rounds in my carry guns for awhile.
    Last edited by mikaldulee; February 3rd, 2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: oops, poor sentence structure
    People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to violence on their behalf.

As to commerical .45 ammo, simply scanning a new box of .45's I could see maybe 3 that were well below the OAL. I read sometime ago where it was advisable to check carry ammo for specifications. I do believe that suggestion would pay off in the long term. I hope you were OK after your mishap acparmed, that must of been a very scary moment. Did your glasses show signs of stopping metal??
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    I hope you were OK after your mishap acparmed, that must of been a very scary moment. Did your glasses show signs of stopping metal??
    Yes FortyFive they did. I felt a spray in my face and a small "tink" against my Wiley X Carbon Fiber Glasses. Thank God for those glasses or injury would definitely would have occurred. Fortunately no one suffered any injury other than to my pride.

~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    Most juries couldn't understand such a line of questioning.
    I'm new around here, but I think that's an excellent reason to stick with what the local PDs use.
    Easier to defend than those "cop-killer" Black Talons you handloaded to be even deadlier and that are against the Geneva Conventions.
    The DA would have to say his own boys are carrying "inhumane" loads.
    It's not about facts, it's about the perceptions and feelings of those that sit and watch daytime TV and are now on your jury...

The reason people are advised to carry factory are numerous.

Remember there are lawyers who are very unscrupulous and they will attack anything you do or use. If you use handloads, there have been times where a prosecutor has attempted to paint a picture to the jury, that you are some kind of heinous deviate who sits alone in their basement cooking up some sort of evil murderous bullet that is so lethal the factories don't even make them.

Is it BS? Absolutely... When they try to bring that stuff up, it's just a red herring that is trying to paint a picture to the jury that you are some sinister killer.

Can it be defended? Absolutely! However, it takes time and effort and sometimes added expense to the cost of your defense. And if they have several red herrings or bombs the prosecutor keeps throwing at the jury, they may just bite on one or two of them.

Remember, juries don't have to be rational. I have seen juries disregard evidence and convict anyways. Look at O.J., they disregarded evidence and acquitted!

Bottom line, can handloads be defended? Absolutely, but why not avoid that pitfall in the first place and not even go there if you don't have to.

Oh yeah, remember... The lawyers Don't Take an Oath to Tell the Truth in a Trial!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1943 - 2009

Exclamation Ancient Thread

Guys, this thread is over two and one half years old. If the topic needs to be revisited, let's start a new one.

It's been discussed pretty thoroughly, IMO.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

yep i agree its way out of date and has been posted more recently than this one

I reload but when I carry I use factory.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links