Carry Reloads or Factory

This is a discussion on Carry Reloads or Factory within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did search didnt get any hits. Do you Carry reloads or factory loads Ive read that you shouldnt carry relaods for legal reasons but have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry Reloads or Factory

Carry Reloads or Factory

Did search didnt get any hits.

Do you Carry reloads or factory loads Ive read that you shouldnt carry relaods for legal reasons but have never actually read any accounts of actual problems with reloads in self defense legal wise...

Only hearsay ya know like from my sister's friends cousins uncles former collage roommate type Stuff..

I Carry factory in my 9mm and mostly Reloads in 45 No real reason why i carry one or the other than just i had bunch hollowpoints in 45 acp.

So what do you carry and do you buy into the Taboo dont use relaods etc etc

2. Remove Ads

Well it's an easy decision for me. I don't reload.

That said, it would depend entirely on the skill of the reloader. If the reloader were say an older gentleman with 10-30 years of experience and knew exactly what my hardware and I were capable of handling, those loads would probably be better than factory loads, or at least just as good.

OTOH, if I were doing my own reloading, I'd carry factory.

At any rate I don't know anyone who sells reloads that I trust so well. Gold Dots fresh out of the box for me.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Well it's an easy decision for me. I don't reload.

That said, it would depend entirely on the skill of the reloader. If the reloader were say an older gentleman with 10-30 years of experience and knew exactly what my hardware and I were capable of handling, those loads would probably be better than factory loads, or at least just as good.

OTOH, if I were doing my own reloading, I'd carry factory.

At any rate I don't know anyone who sells reloads that I trust so well. Gold Dots fresh out of the box for me.
    I carry factory only and agree, even if I did reload, in my carry gun I think I would continue to carry factory only. I have heard the same problems regarding the legal implications and true or not why risk it. An instructor told me to carry what the police in your area carry, so I do. Golden Sabers.

Reloads for the range, absolutely....
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I carry factory only and agree, even if I did reload, in my carry gun I think I would continue to carry factory only. I have heard the same problems regarding the legal implications and true or not why risk it. An instructor told me to carry what the police in your area carry, so I do. Golden Sabers.

Reloads for the range, absolutely....
    Ive heard the same thing about carry what cops do Glad i dont live in detroit they carry Ball rounds no Hp's allowed

Lead Moderator
    Factory loads only for me. I reload a bunch, but would rather carry factory in case. I read a good article in a LE mag. One officer weighs his rounds to ensure they are full off powder. He had found 3 or 4 rnds in 10 years or so ,either with low or no powder.

Factory
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

BS you are all victims of a gun magazine writerís over active imagination and his desire to stir up controversy to sell magazines. I challenge anyone to find one single case where a person involved in a good shoot was successfully convicted because he used hand loads. I can play devils advocate and warn you that you shouldn't use ammo with a dangerous sounding name. Imagine being questioned by a lawyer for using a bullet with the name saber or Shok. We all know that sabers cut and slash a person to pieces, and ammo that is called Hydra-Shok not only puts a hole in the person it sends their body into a fatal shock. Now I can argue that I load my ammo to put neat little holes in my target and I just happened to just the same ammo in my gun that I use to put little holes in paper. I am not like some of those guys that put bullets in his gun with scary sounding names. Now for the record I carry Hydra-Shok ammo because I canít find bullets for reloading that have that little post in the center. From what I have read that little center post makes the Hydra-Shoks more effective than other bullets. If I could buy a bullet that was constructed the same as a Hydra-Shok I would buy it and load it for carry ammo because I am more confident of my reloads than I am of factory loads. I was half joking half-serious about ammo with a scary name but I did it to illustrate that a fancy lawyer could twist anything you do to try to make you look bad. The most important thing is that you choose ammo that you are confident will get the job done and your shooting was justified and you donít say anything stupid to anyone afterwards. Repeat nothing stupid to anyone, not just the police, any one that was standing nearby that could act as a witness.

Rocky I am happy if I learn one thing a day, and you sir taught me a good Lesson, no check that a great lesson. The Factories are not infallible. I never once thought to make sure Factory rounds were in fact "topped off" Thank you. I am in a personal quandry between Ranger XT and Eldorado sTarfire.

~A

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Factory loads only for me. I reload a bunch, but would rather carry factory in case. I read a good article in a LE mag. One officer weighs his rounds to ensure they are full off powder. He had found 3 or 4 rnds in 10 years or so ,either with low or no powder.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    Rocky I am happy if I learn one thing a day, and you sir taught me a good Lesson, no check that a great lesson. The Factories are not infallible. I never once thought to make sure Factory rounds were in fact "topped off" Thank you. I am in a personal quandry between Ranger XT and Eldorado sTarfire.

~A
    That is why I said in my other post that I trust my home made stuff more than factory stuff. The only reason I don't carry hand loads is that I feel the hydra-Shoks have a superior bullet design.

Silver,

I personally am not worried that a well done reload wouldn't "work". I certainly am not worried about a prosecutor trying to make me look bad by detailing what kind of ammo I used either. Most juries couldn't understand such a line of questioning.

The problem is that reloading is a cottage industry, and the availability of quality reloads is sporadic. I know just enough about reloading to understand that there's a whole lot of skill involved in it, and that it can produce truly customized rounds that can help optimize your shooting.

But to do so takes skill, and availability of someone with that much skill and the proper equipment to reload for you.

I have none of those things and I know only one person whose reloads I would use when it really counted, and he's 800 miles away and has better things to do then custom load .38s for me.

If I were to start reloading, I wouldn't trust my own work for a number of years. I wasn't very good at driving the first time I tried it either.

Rather, I will stick to the devil I know and use a factory load that's the exact same load 97% of the time that is consistently available.
    Last edited by Euclidean; January 28th, 2005 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Silver,

I personally am not worried that a well done reload wouldn't "work". I certainly am not worried about a prosecutor trying to make me look bad by detailing what kind of ammo I used either. Most juries couldn't understand such a line of questioning.

The problem is that reloading is a cottage industry, and the availability of quality reloads is sporadic. I know just enough about reloading to understand that there's a whole lot of skill involved in it, and that it can produce truly customized rounds that can help optimize your shooting.

But to do so takes skill, and availability of someone with that much skill and the proper equipment to reload for you.

I have none of those things and I know only one person whose reloads I would use when it really counted, and he's 800 miles away and has better things to do then custom load .38s for me.

If I were to start reloading, I wouldn't trust my own work for a number of years. I wasn't very good at driving the first time I tried it either.

Rather, I will stick to the devil I know and use a factory load that's the exact same load 97% of the time that is consistently available.
    I have been reloading for a couple years. I started out knowing nothing about it and taught myself rather quickly. You are correct about it not being simple, but it isn't rocket science either. Work slowly and carefully, buy good equipment, and have a few reloading manuals on hand to refer to. I bought a S&W .500 Magnum a while back and I couldnít afford to shoot it if I didnít reload. Store bought ammo runs about $3 to $4 a pop, homemade is about 75 cents a shot. Trust me it isnít all that hard to do. And you donít need a lot of space to reload. I had to move my press from the basement and I set it up on a small tool bench in the garage the only takes up a couple square feet of floor space
    Attached Images

As Said Relaoding isnt super hard Ive been doing it since 94 so i do trust my relaods in all that time ive had 3 probles all 3 squibs really not squibs ssince they didnt even jump the crimp or out of the cylinder all 3 same lot of powder .. when i doo them apart all 3 had green powder that wouldnt burn ...

After that it was simple take the other 200 38;s apart to dump the powder got contaminated some how .

Well as I understand it, the physical act of reloading is extremely tedious and boring like most ignored aspects of using firearms, but not difficult per se.

My problem with it would be constantly wondering for a long time: "Am I using enough primer? How can I tell? Sure it fires but am I doing it right?" etc.

And it's true that it doesn't take a huge amount of space, but the few people who I've seen reload have one relatively small work space, and bags upon boxes upon bags of brass and powder. That still isn't a whole lot of room in the grand scheme of things, but quite frankly unless I were to set it up in my living room I don't know where I would put the equipment.

I guess it's like anything else. I'm not comfortable carrying a cocked and locked pistol either even though lots of people do and the world doesn't come to an end because of it. I wouldn't be comfortable carrying my own reloads, not for a while anyway.

What's funny to me is I'm told everyone gets into reloading because if you do the math, it should pay for itself. The reality seems to be they take a lot more trips to the range and wind up spending more. :D

It's something I'd like to examine doing in a few years. But right now it's just not practical. Pass the Silvertips please.

Lead Moderator
    Euclidean, yes ya wind up paying as much, but ya get to shoot more for the cost. also ya can customize loads for whatever use. I find it fun to do things myself if possible. That said I still carry factory loads for defense.

I just started reloading, and I love it as a quiet, relaxing, yet productive hobby. I only do 9mm right now - will get 45ACP dies when I can for a few buddies who shoot that caliber. FWIW, I use 155gr Ranier plated FMJ over 4.2gr AA#2, CCI500 primer, Win case. Do very well out of my PO1 and wifes CZ 2075 RAMI. Light, but accurate.
    As for carrying reloads - our Pima County Attorney put out a memo some time ago that anyone using reloads in a defensive situation would be prosecuted, no matter what. Why? I dunno - Demonrat, I mean, Democrat/
    Mas reccomended factory, to avoid prosecuting attorneys demonizing you on the stand for loading your own "killer bullets", as "factory ammo isn't deadly enough for this gunfighter!" I use Winchester 115gr JHP, no fancy name, just a steady reliable load that does well on the street.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links