Another dumb question from a rifle newbie: crimp after seating?

This is a discussion on Another dumb question from a rifle newbie: crimp after seating? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, another question. I'm looking at buying a micrometer seater die for my press, .30-06 Springfield. Once the bullet is properly seated, is it ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By KeythL

Thread: Another dumb question from a rifle newbie: crimp after seating?

Hey guys, another question.

I'm looking at buying a micrometer seater die for my press, .30-06 Springfield.

Once the bullet is properly seated, is it necessary to crimp? What type of crimp?

I know, dumb, but never ask, never know.

No such thing as a dumb question.

Unless I'm loading for a lever gun, or pump, using a bullet with a crimping groove, I never crimp.
    I don't even crimp for my AR or M1A loads
    ChrisATX, TX expat and msgt/ret like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

It depends on the rifle. Bolt action rifle, probably not necessary. Semi-auto\tube magazine, good idea to crimp. Find a load that works well in your rifle, then experiment with different levels of crimp to see if it improves grouping.

Take care,

Keyth
    ChrisATX likes this.
    Maine CCP
    New Hampshire CCL
    Massachusetts CCL
    Wisconsin CCL

Thanks guys!

And no case mouth belling like what is necessary with straight walled pistol ammo, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    Thanks guys!

And no case mouth belling like what is necessary with straight walled pistol ammo, correct?
    Correct. You might want to put a light chamfer on the inside edge of the case neck - especially when loading flat base bullets, but it isn't a necessity.

For crimping rifle ammo, I'm a big fan on the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It doesn't change your OAL and it isn't sensitive to case length like most taper or roll crimp dies. It uses a collet. It is excellent when loading plinking .223 where case length is going to vary and I'm using a semi-auto.

If your rifle is bolt action and not elephant caliber, crimping is totally optional. For a semi-auto rifle it isn't necessary as long as your neck tension is good, but I crimp to be safe.

ChrisATX if you have to ask if you need to crimp a rifle round like the 30.06 then it seems that you haven't ready a good reloading manuals. I would suggest you read up before you start reloading any caliber. A good manual will explain crimping and why and were it's necessary and where, too much crimp might be very bad.

Links