Why is there a .22lr ammo shortage?

This is a discussion on Why is there a .22lr ammo shortage? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seriously, can someone explain this to me? I can't find .22lr ammo anywhere. And I have been looking. I had a guy a one of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Why is there a .22lr ammo shortage?

Seriously, can someone explain this to me? I can't find .22lr ammo anywhere. And I have been looking.

I had a guy a one of my LGS tell me he thinks it is because there are so many more .22 rifles on the market now like the S&W 22/15 AR pattern guns and all the others out there like it but I just don't know if I buy into that. There have been tons of .22lr chambered guns out there forever and I've never seen .22 ammo so scarce.

So what is the deal? Where the heck is all the ammo?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hmm it does seem that way with Walmart from what I've read on here.However at my local gun shop here in Las Vegas .22 seems to be dime a dozen. .223/9 is what I usually have to wait weeks for. I guess it varies by location.

AZ is a huge, gun-friendly state. What I've witnessed and also been second-hand party to locally is a hoarding mentality which persists months after popular centerfire pistol and rifle ammo have reappeared on the retail shelves, albeit at prices 10-40% over pre-Newtown levels.

The ammo makers say their rimfire lines are running at record levels. The level of supply has increased, but the demand has outstripped the supply capacity.

I got into a chat with a Wal-Mart manager around Christmas. He knows 12-24 hours in advance of an ammo shipment coming in, and by some internal means he posts that info on the net. He stocks his locked ammo case in the early hours, and he won't allow sales before 7 am. He said he sees a regular group of guys line up in advance and buy out all his rimfire ammo just as soon as he releases it for sale.

That's what we're dealing with. Until the supply of rimfire ammo is abundant and people stop buying it from these re-sellers at $50-$80 a brick, we are stuck with "lucky finds" as a reasonably-priced source of supply.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Meltz View Post
    Hmm it does seem that way with Walmart from what I've read on here.However at my local gun shop here in Las Vegas .22 seems to be dime a dozen. .223/9 is what I usually have to wait weeks for. I guess it varies by location.
    Well Meltz, want to buy some for me and ship it to me?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I haven't seen 22LR in the store in a very long time. I'm thinking what Smitty sees is what is going on here.

I could understand the panic buying somewhat but to panic buy 30-30??? Come on.

It will take some time for the hoarding to stop. I don't consider myself a hoarder by any means, but I'll buy just about any 22LR ammo I happen to stumble across, just because it's such a rare occurrence. And I'm very picky about the type and quality of 22LR I allow to be sent down my barrels.

When the crunch finally relaxes, I suspect there will be a mild to moderate crash in the price of 22LR ammunition. There are a lot of people sitting on insane caches and will eventually start selling them off...because even the biggest SHTF hoarder has no need for 100,000 rounds, and they won't get back what they paid for it. Serves them right :P

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I don't believe they're shooting it at all. "Many" people, and many gun people, believe that the current economic policy of the Federal Reserve Bank (I.E. QE/QE2) and the economic policies of the Federal Government are destroying the dollar, and that hyper inflation and depression are in our future. There is fairly strong history of economic policy to back up that assertion. They believe that if the dollar is destroyed .22 rim fire could easily become the coin of the realm.

I had a friend who died about ten years ago. He had a "farm", and in the walkout basement of his cabin he had a pallet, and I mean a still in the Olin shrink wrap, 4' high, off a rail car pallet of Winchester .22 LR. He said it was a half a million rounds. Of course I asked him what was up with all the .22s. He said if the dollar ever became worthless, he would still be a wealthy man because of that pallet.

On that farm there was a pond with the most and biggest bluegill I've seen in my life. Every cast would get hit by a lunker bigger than your hand. Sometimes three times a summer we'd catch a whole cooler full, spend the afternoon filleting them all, and have a giant fish fry back in town...memories (or at least memories till the tenth beer).

.22 would probably be the last thing they tried to ban, and it is the least useful in a firefight, so this explanation makes sense to me. I shoot it. I don't hoard it. I usually have a brick or two in reserve, but I don't consider it currency. I hope I don't regret that policy...
    Blue Thunder likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I've managed to find some 22 the problem is that the Federal Bulk box 550 runs almost 100% in all my 22's including my buddies Full Auto M16 conversion,The Winchester M22 and Remington Golden Bullets have several FTF and or ejects on every magazine.I haven't seen any bulk Federal in a long time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I got into a chat with a Wal-Mart manager around Christmas. He knows 12-24 hours in advance of an ammo shipment coming in, and by some internal means he posts that info on the net. He stocks his locked ammo case in the early hours, and he won't allow sales before 7 am. He said he sees a regular group of guys line up in advance and buy out all his rimfire ammo just as soon as he releases it for sale.

That's what we're dealing with. Until the supply of rimfire ammo is abundant and people stop buying it from these re-sellers at $50-$80 a brick, we are stuck with "lucky finds" as a reasonably-priced source of supply.

And for some reason Wal Mart won't stop the practice. I haven't seen .22 on the shelves unless it was priced 4 to 10X normal price in going on 18 months. I knew the end of 2012 I should have stashed 100,000 rounds. And you can be sure that if .22 ever gets back to reasonable prices I will buy a lifetime supply - along with a lot of other people, so this problem is probably going to persist for years.

Yep the reseller are casuing a lot of issue.. Plus people are stocking up during the panic or in fear of what come see the only buy ammo stuff with BC in NY etc...

Really right now other then 223 and high price defesnive ammo I am not seeing any plinking or range ammo for 357-380 even 9mm.. 40 and 45 yeah but other then not no..... Any 22 is hard to find now it seems or if you do it is jacked ski high.. Even 22mag and such is nigh immposible to find people I guess bough guns to shoot it when the 22lr dried up
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Hardest to find in my corner of nc

22 LR and 380acp. Third place will go to 45 long colt.

It's just all bought up by horders...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

A lot of the stores here in Texas will sell a box or two a day to their customers. An Academy opened up around Christmas nearby and took care of any immediate need. I bought a 17 hmr because ammo is not nearly as scarce and it is more "prep" friendly, if it came to that. I watched a movie entitled "The Road", and it seemed to present a more likely scenario than any other I can envision if society were to collapse.

I have not seen any 22's for a few months, everything else seems to be easy to find except for 38's/357's.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    One thought is there are more new shooters! I've had difficultly finding 22LR just like everyone else, but I've been willing to pay a premium to get stock. One range in Mexifornia that I use, we purchase 18,000 rounds and that lasted less than 3 months! They would only sell it for range use. 12 lanes and on most nights they have 8 to 10 lanes booked until 8 PM. JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    My opinion on the .22 shortage?

1. A LOT of households in the U.S. have a .22 rifle and/or pistol (that equates to a lot of potential customers).

2. You get a lot of bangs for the buck when you buy .22 LR

3. Hoarders, both kinds. The serious "accumulators", are those who stack up LOTS of rounds, and never feel they have enough. Then there are the "seekers", those who find themselves out of .22 ammo, and become panicky buyers. I feel there are a lot of both of those.

On a side note: An underestimated combination is the CB .22 round in a rifle, no need for a suppressor it's almost silent as it is. Granted it is a low power round, but a head shot from one is going to ruin your day.
    Last edited by ppkheat; February 25th, 2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links