Magtech opinions

Magtech opinions

This is a discussion on Magtech opinions within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ran across some attractively priced Magtech Guardian Gold 230gr 45acp yesterday. LGS had a pretty decent stock of it. Do any of you folks have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magtech opinions

Magtech opinions

Ran across some attractively priced Magtech Guardian Gold 230gr 45acp yesterday. LGS had a pretty decent stock of it. Do any of you folks have opinions as to it's SD performance, reliability, etc... Most interweb info is subjective. Youtube has vids of shooting through milk jugs and jeans and the like. Penetration looks good but can't find much meaningful about expansion, bullet geometry or much else.

Any useful info would be appreciated.

MagTech makes pretty decent target ammo, however, when it comes to ammo for use in SD, I want to see it tested in gelatin preferable against the FBI test protocols.

Because I have never seen MagTech offer any results of such testing, I'd carry it only as a last resort, deferring instead to rounds like the Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1 or Ranger T, Hornady XTP, and Remington Golden Sabers that have such test data associated with them.

I am not saying that MagTech is bad ammo.... Heck, it might even be pretty decent -it's just untested, and that, at least for me, is a concern.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 481 View Post
    MagTech makes pretty decent target ammo, however, when it comes to ammo for use in SD, I want to see it tested in gelatin preferable against the FBI test protocols.

Because I have never seen MagTech offer any results of such testing, I'd carry it only as a last resort, deferring instead to rounds like the Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX1 or Ranger T, Hornady XTP, and Remington Golden Sabers that have such test data associated with them.

I am not saying that MagTech is bad ammo.... Heck, it might even be pretty decent -it's just untested, and that, at least for me, is a concern.
    I agree with this. I have never had a problem with their range ammo, but there is not much on the performance of the SD ammo. I would however carry it before I chose some of the other stuff out there. I have used the magtech for hunting with a 44 mag single shot rifle, and took a pig with it. It worked very well in that respect, pig dropped in its tracks. not much of a gauge but it is better than nothing.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I've had pretty good luck with both Magtech's range and SD ammo.

Personally, though, I prefer something a bit hotter than what Magtech seems to bring, when it comes to SD cartridges. As well, not many comparison reviews stack up better-known loads against the Magtech, so it can be hard to get some practical data beyond the manufacturers' claims.

My choice, on SD loads: DoubleTap, bonded or the GD varieties.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The reason for the question is my limited experience. I've shot the range stuff, mostly revolver loads. The Mag Tech HP's weren't DIRT cheap or anything. I thought I'd ask as the LGS had plenty of it.

I have subsequently found out that it's not bonded, and tests seem to always have jacket separation, but uniform expansion and petal formation with the .45acp +P.

Thanks for the input.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar

VIP Member
    Man, not at those prices!

HST can be had for about $26 a box (vs. $35), and Gold Dot for about $30 (vs. $36).

Ammoseek is your friend!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I have/had some regular production Magtech in 38Sp +P and 9mm. I read that they're known for having hard primers. The box of 38's I ran through 3 guns at the range trying to get them all to fire. Glad it wasn't a SD situation. The 9mm don't seem to be that bad, I'm halfway through 'em but won't be carrying them for SD.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Dont use them much but when I have never had a problem with them. If thats what I could get I wouldnt worry much about carrying them for SD.

I normally carry hydras or Hornadays in the fotay and the wife is packing PDX1+p in the 9mm but shooting a person is not shooting jello in a jacket and any bullet can do really weird stuff in humans. So if Magtech is all I could do I wouldnt sweat it much.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

. I dont carry any non USA ammo that is HP ammo .. I do for 25/32/380 as it is FMJ and the euro loads are a wee bit hotter ...

How many of these loads from over there passed the fed penetration test etc ....

Esp when you can buy a box of Hornadays or hydro etc for 20 bucks or so or less now ...

stick to
    1. Ranger
    2. PDX1
    3.SXT
    4.Speer gold dots
    5. most any Hornadays esp Critical defensive rounds
    6. Hydro shocks works

I have shoot a lot of PMC/Magtec etc but only for range use no issue at all but I just feel beter carrying a round that cops and the gov passes and or carries and is low flash etc ..

Now if this was a rarer ammo type or that is all you can find Magtec is just fine stuff but I would stick with the stuff I or others listed ... Keep PMC etc to range use
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Man, not at those prices!

HST can be had for about $26 a box (vs. $35), and Gold Dot for about $30 (vs. $36).

Ammoseek is your friend!
    I'm just giving a shopping list. I'm not holding your hand to my fishing hole!

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    I just got a box of 50 Speer 230 gr Gold dots for $41 shipped... From SGAmmo.com
    "Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishfull thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Range ammo has always worked for me. I'm with the crowd. Buy something that has proven itself !
    For range ammo , I try to buy a different brand each time I purchase just to see what my glock might hiccup on!
    Nothing yet!

Buy Federal HSTs or Speer Gold dots. 45 Auto / ACP | SGAmmo.com

The only time I buy MagTech is when I need range ammo for my .44MAG. Bit on the light side which is good for getting the girls to shoot it.

Sure would like some of those hot loads, glockman!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links