40 cal XDSC or Ruger Security Six 2 3/4 357 for Hogs

This is a discussion on 40 cal XDSC or Ruger Security Six 2 3/4 357 for Hogs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure this is the right place to ask this but I'm going Hog Hunting soon and am going to either take my XDSC 40 ...

Thread: 40 cal XDSC or Ruger Security Six 2 3/4 357 for Hogs

40 cal XDSC or Ruger Security Six 2 3/4 357 for Hogs

Not sure this is the right place to ask this but I'm going Hog Hunting soon and am going to either take my XDSC 40 or my Ruger Security Six 2 3/4" 357. I know neither is ideal but this is what I have. We're going to be blind hunting so I don't think I'll have to stop any charges. I was wondering which would be the best one to take. I know usually the 357 but with the shorter barrel I wasn't sure. But what ammo or commercially available ammo would be the best to take. I was thinking about alternating HP's with FMC in the 40 if I chose it because I've heard the 40 HP's don't penatrate enough. One problem I have though is that I can't find a holster for the Ruger SS because of the age.

2. Remove Ads

Neither. A short-barreled handgun is not a good choice for hunting hogs. Either has plenty of power, but you're not likely to be able to make a humane kill on a moving hog.

As for a holster - anything for a 3" GP100 ought to fit the SS OK.
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; March 3rd, 2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Holster comment.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

We'll be hunting with rifles. These will be more of a backup. My son will probably have his 243 but it's only a single shot and then I will either take my 30-30 lever action or my 870 with slugs. Doubtfull that I would need the handguns but I always try to err on the safe side.

Links