Anybody hear about the .22 TCM yet amazing ballistics out of a 1911

This is a discussion on Anybody hear about the .22 TCM yet amazing ballistics out of a 1911 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thing looks pretty devastating. Pretty hardcore bullet. 22 tcm.jpg 1911 tcm.jpg 22reedammoguide.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By LimaCharlie
  • 1 Post By theskunk

Thread: Anybody hear about the .22 TCM yet amazing ballistics out of a 1911

This thing looks pretty devastating. Pretty hardcore bullet.

22 tcm.jpg1911 tcm.jpg22reedammoguide.jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM
    Last edited by RockingGlock32; March 5th, 2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: misspelled title

I have one.

And 2900 FPS is a typo; it's closer to 1900-2000 fps.

Personally, it would not be my first choice as a defensive round; that's why I keep my 9mm conversion barrel in the pistol most of the time.

However, for a recoil sensitive shooter, it wouldn't be a bad choice.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

.22 TCM is interesting yet, IHMO, falls well short of "amazing". I've shot the cartridge & am still convinced that the .357 Sig is my personal pick for a lighter/faster caliber.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Since I am a go big or stay home guy, the .22 TCM and the 5.7X28mm underwhelm me. I have a Henry lever-action rifle and a Ruger Single-Six in .22 WMR for shooting small bullets at high speeds for less money.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

True, im just impressed with the velocity of this thing and have seen some tests on bullet proof glass and am impressed with the penetration. But i am not going out to get one in any hurry i too love my .357 sig. I just saw one at the LGS and had to look it up and let people know. Its the next 5.7 IMO, i would be worried about the the cost and availability long term of the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by RockingGlock32 View Post
    True, im just impressed with the velocity of this thing and have seen some tests on bullet proof glass and am impressed with the penetration. But i am not going out to get one in any hurry i too love my .357 sig. I just saw one at the LGS and had to look it up and let people know. Its the next 5.7 IMO, i would be worried about the the cost and availability long term of the ammo.
    Actually, around here, it's both more available AND cheaper than 5.7.

Add in that the platform is half the price of a FN pistol, and it's got something going for it. I do believe that RIA came out with a bolt action rifle for it, to boot (which could be where they got the 2900fps...but it ain't doin' that out of a pistol).

As for longevity...well, the cases are just cut down .223, and use 40gr .224 bullets, so reloading shouldn't be an issue.

RIA just released new models of pistol in the caliber, so I think they're in it for the long haul.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

A 9mm is 115 gr and a TCM is 40 gr - a lot less recoil, and a bottle neck cartridge is a better feeder. I am sure that RIA is making a consistent bullet. This could be the true Micro-Nine solution.

The micros need consistency in ammo, and this is the ticket. And the recoil is a major factor. I am surprised that Rorhbaugh or Kimber Solo isn't experimenting with the shell.
    RockingGlock32 likes this.

Bought one after shooting it,liked it and now carry a RIA Commander which doesn't have a 9mm barrel like the FS but I ot mine at dealer cost before they increased the prices,Light recoil accurate fast followup shots,I was carrying a colt Commander,the RIA has a waaaay better trigger than the Colt at only 1/2 the price.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ex Member
    Can you say .41AE?

I was in a gun store in another town a few months back. I asked the guy behind the counter if he had any 9mm Speer Gold Dots in stock. He raised an eyebrow and grabbed a box of something off the shelf and plunked it down in front of me, whispering in a conspiratorial tone, "Here's what ya want. It's 50 grains and 2000 feet per second" like he was letting me in on a great secret. I smiled, shook my head and walked out.

That kind of stuff may work, I don't know. But I don't want to be the crash test dummy for any kind of gimmick ammo. I'll stick with what the cops use, thanks.

(Edit for clarity:) The 50 grain stuff was some brand of 9mm, not the .22 TCM being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    I was in a gun store in another town a few months back. I asked the guy behind the counter if he had any 9mm Speer Gold Dots in stock. He raised an eyebrow and grabbed a box of something off the shelf and plunked it down in front of me, whispering in a conspiratorial tone, "Here's what ya want. It's 50 grains and 2000 feet per second" like he was letting me in on a great secret. I smiled, shook my head and walked out.

That kind of stuff may work, I don't know. But I don't want to be the crash test dummy for any kind of gimmick ammo. I'll stick with what the cops use, thanks.

(Edit for clarity:) The 50 grain stuff was some brand of 9mm, not the .22 TCM being discussed.
    I'd be more likely to trust a .22 than a 9mm, if it's 50-grain and 2000fps. The penetration of the 9mm is likely to suffer more from low weight, due to higher drag of the larger bullet.

But, yeah, it's hard to trust anything that hasn't been proven out by lots of use.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

Sponsored Links