A Letter From an Online Ammo Seller I Received Today

This is a discussion on A Letter From an Online Ammo Seller I Received Today within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know much about this new "RIP" ammo (may not be worth a damn) but the letter contents show just how desperate things are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: A Letter From an Online Ammo Seller I Received Today

A Letter From an Online Ammo Seller I Received Today

I don't know much about this new "RIP" ammo (may not be worth a damn) but the letter contents show just how desperate things are right now.

For those who think that "hoarding" is why you can't find quality ammo, especially carry ammo, for sale these days, I say think again.....hoarding has very little to do with it. The major ammo manufacturers, however, would love for you to believe that. So would the federal government.

AmmoDepot01.JPG
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "To say that demand is outpacing supply is a severe understatement."

Translation: Customers sucking up ammo too fast to keep it on the self--hoarding. A company capable of producing "X" number of rounds daily cannot keep up with closet stuffing. Hoarding is not the only reason for the ammo shortage, but I can guarantee you that if most stopped buying their limit every time it hit the shelf and bought it as they needed it, there'd be a lot more ammo around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Well at least they sent you a letter telling you they got 250 boxes, I don't know what to tell you about the hoarding, they can only make so much and I believe many companies don't want to "ramp up".
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I just ordered 1,200 rounds of 7.62 x 39mm from Sportsmans Guide on Monday - it will be here this Saturday.
    Aceoky, TheBigWanad and Taurahe like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

supply and demand- millions of new shooters means billions of more rounds being purchased. There is no conspiracy, just supply and demand.
    mano3, SCXDm9, BurgerBoy and 2 others like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

A few good seemingly credible conspiracy theorists covering the spectrum of gun forums, fueled by the media, can do more to destroy the supply and availability of ammunition than the Department of Homeland Security could ever hope to.

Just go in to a grocery store a day or two before a storm is supposed to hit. If 10 panicked people start buying up cases of bottled water it won't take long until 100 people are buying up cases of water. After that it's just a game of panic dominos.

20-30 million round demand? Not sure I buy that about a niche ammo like that. If they said it about HST's or something that would be used for law enforcement or military maybe.
    OldVet likes this.

Ooops forgot to add that TTAG did a test and review on the G2RIP ammo and it was alot of hype with only a little substance. Marketing means everything.

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    I realize it's not the main reason,but as one said,there seems to be a lot of new gun owners and with them buying,it's put a dent in the ammo also..I went into an ace hardware store last week..They had a good bit of ammo..After i saw their prices i understand why..

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I could not agree more. I for one, have added about 8,000 rounds to my supply that I would not have otherwise purchased had millions of others just like me were doing it! That's 8,000 rounds for storage, not shooting.. that's extra

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    supply and demand- millions of new shooters means billions of more rounds being purchased. There is no conspiracy, just supply and demand.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

VIP Member
    Uh, if it's not 'hoarding' then what do you think is the cause of the ammo shortage? I'm not really sure what potential 'cause' you can attribute to the lack of supply, other than hoarding, from the letter that they sent out. They said pretty clearly that supply is way short of demand and since that's a small outfit, you can't really expect them to be holding back production. With the investment and overhead that they currently have, I'm guessing that they'd love nothing more than to have 20 million rounds ready to sell. That'd go a long way to getting them onto solid financial ground...

They are estimating demand at 20-30 million rounds? That's gonna take that little company a lifetime to produce and I almost can't even believe that there would be that many people that would be interested in that junk anyway... Although I guess there's no end to people who think that a pill, or a better 'this' or 'that', or simply spending atrocious amount of money on some thing, is enough to make them into something that they probably never will be; which is to say better than they currently are.
    Old Sarge, Kilowatt3 and Fizban like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

I just have to ask, in American where the almighty dollar still rules, why would any bullet manufacture not want to ramp up and let their competitor reap the benefits of this current boom in ammo sales while they do not?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    ..... and I believe many companies don't want to "ramp up".
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Hoarding is so stupid, inconsiderate, and unnecessary, and as soon as my supply level is where I think it should be...I'm going to stop hoarding.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "To say that demand is outpacing supply is a severe understatement."

Translation: Customers sucking up ammo too fast to keep it on the self--hoarding. A company capable of producing "X" number of rounds daily cannot keep up with closet stuffing. Hoarding is not the only reason for the ammo shortage, but I can guarantee you that if most stopped buying their limit every time it hit the shelf and bought it as they needed it, there'd be a lot more ammo around.
    The biggest hoarder is the U.S. Government, they are buying almost into the billions of rounds. My few ammo cans full aren't making a dent. Ammo manufacturers are opening new plants to keep up with demand, but we still cant get it, i feel it has little to do with the individual "hoarder" and a lot more to do with things beyond our control.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Well at least they sent you a letter telling you they got 250 boxes, I don't know what to tell you about the hoarding, they can only make so much and I believe many companies don't want to "ramp up".
    Each ammo maker I've read up on said they're running 3 shifts 24/7 eight days a week. Personally it would help if DHS were to go play with the ammo they have and let someone else have a turn.

I'd like to see a few of the huge ammo companies refuse to sell to the federal LEOs like Ruger did.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links