Same shot placement, do you think 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45 offer equal incapacitation?

Same shot placement, do you think 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45 offer equal incapacitation?

This is a discussion on Same shot placement, do you think 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45 offer equal incapacitation? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see people claim that there is not any significant difference in the incapacitation potential of the "service calibers" 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45. Do ...

View Poll Results: Same shot placement, do you think 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45 offer equal incapacitation?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

55 37.93%
  • No

90 62.07%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Same shot placement, do you think 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45 offer equal incapacitation?

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

I see people claim that there is not any significant difference in the incapacitation potential of the "service calibers" 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45.
    Do you agree?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

No.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Of course not - but a whole lot closer than most will ever admit.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Another calibre thread? Hold on, let me get my beer so I can more thoroughly enjoy the 'debate'.

Please read Rule 9:

...........We also discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.
    Rule 9 says there isn't much difference

Some caliber of bullets make bigger holes than others...just saying....

The poll... I answered yes, because I assume you mean good shot placement. If you shoot a completely non vital area, something like a 45 might have more impact on the person than a 9mm. If you mean a shot to a vital organ, then there is probably not enough difference to matter.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    bazooka

I answered no, too many variables.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I answered no, but it really depends on where that same shot is placed. In some places they would all yield the same results, in others, not so much.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Same shot placement, do you think 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45 offer equal incapacita...

Depends what you are shooting at.. A heart I would want the largest caliber to do the most damage. An engine block I would want the penetrating power of .357 sig. The important thing is finding a balance of power and recoil that works best for you to make you an accurate shooter as quickly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 and andrewcdub like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. Gen James Mattis USMC

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    I answered no, but it really depends on where that same shot is placed. In some places they would all yield the same results, in others, not so much.
    Pretty much sums up my sentiments.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Same shot placement, do you think 9mm, 357 Sig, 40, 45 offer equal incapacita...

If shot placement is between the eyes then all 4 are equal! However add a barrier I would base on our test of ballistic glass I would go with the 357 Sig or 40 S & W. But if it is a pelvic area shot I would say the 45ACP! But I carry a 357 Sig and shoot it very well so DON'T corn-fuse me with all those personal preferences! Any of the 4 will service you well if you train with them and can have rapid follow up shots! JMHO!

But then again maybe a 10mm or 50AE?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    CDW4ME, gatorbait51 and Eric357 like this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Does the round make a difference? Yes! Does rage drugs sense of duty shear cussed meanness make a difference? Yes! If you over emphasize any one factor to the exclusion of others can it bite you? You betcha!
    gatorbait51, Recon1342 and Aceoky like this.

VIP Member
    I answered yes, but only because I wanted to keep the results close.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links