Yep they can go after you for using ranger rounds

This is a discussion on Yep they can go after you for using ranger rounds within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As most of you know .. They has been a lot of back and forth here on using HP and will the DA go after ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Yep they can go after you for using ranger rounds

As most of you know .. They has been a lot of back and forth here on using HP and will the DA go after you for using "nastier rounds".... So I thought was interesing in light of all this

"Oscar Pistorius used maximum-damage bullets, expert testifies"

"Saayman testified that Pistorius fired Winchester Ranger bullets of the same basic design as Black Talon rounds. The latter are controversial because they produce jagged metal talons as they travel through the target's body, raking through organs and maximizing injury and blood loss. Winchester announced in 1993 it was withdrawing Black Talon bullets from sale after public outcry over their use in two high-profile mass shootings."

Oscar Pistorius used maximum-damage bullets, expert testifies - chicagotribune.com

so yeah they will try to use any crap they can to nail you esp in case like this where it is def not clear cut on what happened..

but that all said

"Judge Thokozile Masipa banned the live broadcast, tweeting or blogging of Saayman's testimony after a motion from the prosecution — supported by the defense — arguing that the evidence was so graphic that it would harm the Steenkamp family and other people listening, potentially including children.

Masipa's ruling on tweeting from the courtroom was controversial, with some legal and media experts saying it was out of line with previous South African trials in which evidence from postmortem examinations was read to the court and reported by journalists via Twitte"
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    What a bunch of idiots!
    gatorbait51 and RichB70 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Remember, Pistorius is in South Africa. Not saying it can't happen here, but it is a different country with different laws and a different societal view on guns.

Still, some DA looking to make a name for himself probably tries this at some point here.

I once read where an attorney described hollow points as "bullets shaped like the nacelles on a jet engine" What this had to do with anything was not explained but it sounds dramatic and low information jurors buy it.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    IMO I do not think that this case would have any bearing on what I think would be a legit defense shooting in this country at least at this time until the UN lays down the rules in this country.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I once read where an attorney described hollow points as "bullets shaped like the nacelles on a jet engine" What this had to do with anything was not explained but it sounds dramatic and low information jurors buy it.

That is what I am saying .. In most sate I will bet you maybe at most one or two juries people will know guns etc .. Hollow points rounds really do sound scary if you talk about them to lay people ( ie terrible razors of death tearing at flesh etc ..)

Just another reaosn to have a good lawyer on call who does gun cases ...
    gatorbait51, tdave and mano3 like this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    The Rangers are among the least of the defense's problems in this case.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Easily enough countered, call any of the investigating officers to the stand and ask them what sort of bullets they use and if they are intent on causing maximum damage because they are horrific monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Remember, Pistorius is in South Africa. Not saying it can't happen here, but it is a different country with different laws and a different societal view on guns.

Still, some DA looking to make a name for himself probably tries this at some point here.
    All it takes is zealotry and desire to mount whatever claims are possible, to win. That's not beneath many an enterprising prosecutor. "Points" come from winning, not necessarily from clearing up one's ignorance and seeking justice.
    Ghost1958 and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If the shoot is justified, the bullet used is irrelevant. The message here is if you are sharing your bed with a super model, don't shoot her. He claims to have shot through a door. Failure to identify your target is pretty much a universal mistake. That and the bloody bat put Pistorius in a bad spot. The steroids in the house didn't help/

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    What's the problem with maximum damage??? I thought that was the whole point of self defense !
    RickyD likes this.

Sponsor
    I carry the Ranger T's in 9 and 45acp. Won't phase me to keep carrying them either. The simple reply to being questioned about what HP I used is this--- leo's use the same or similar bullet designs, in fact, are forced to carry HP's in their duty firearms. The reason they are mandated to carry HP's is the same reason I carry them, that is, they are more effective at "stopping" an aggressor sooner rather than later.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azqkr View Post
    i carry the ranger t's in 9 and 45acp. Won't phase me to keep carrying them either. The simple reply to being questioned about what hp i used is this--- leo's use the same or similar bullet designs, in fact, are forced to carry hp's in their duty firearms. The reason they are mandated to carry hp's is the same reason i carry them, that is, they are more effective at "stopping" an aggressor sooner rather than later.
    exactly!
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

While this isn't a US case, any prosecutor will try any angle in an attempt to influence jury perceptions. They don't have to PROVE it, just convince jurors. These types of assertions (HPs, carrying chambered, no safety, modifications, etc) realistically don't prove intent or motive and are easily countered by expert witnesses. Does it influence a juror? Who knows. To me, it's as ridiculous as saying speeding in a Ferrari is worse than speeding in a Volkswagen because its a faster car. If you're going 70 in a 30, what difference does it make what kind of car you are driving?
    Aceoky, onacoma, tdave and 1 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Ranger T is marketed to law enforcement.
    Law enforcement officer would use the ammo to defend me; little difference if I use it to defend me.
    Either it is okay to shoot an attacker with it or not regardless of employment.

Ranger T expands into a "petal with perpendicular tips".
    Aceoky likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links