Fiocchi .38 125gr xtp questions.

This is a discussion on Fiocchi .38 125gr xtp questions. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all. I cant seem to find much first hand user info on these. I picked up a box of these for a sd round ...

Thread: Fiocchi .38 125gr xtp questions.

Fiocchi .38 125gr xtp questions.

Hey all. I cant seem to find much first hand user info on these. I picked up a box of these for a sd round for my s&w 642. They are just a standard 125gr round. Are these reliable? I hear mixed reviews with the xtp bullet as far as expansion goes. Any users of this ammo care to share how reliable this stuff is? Thanks!!

2. Remove Ads

In my water bag testing with the Hornady Custom loading using this bullet, I got minimal expansion out of a 2" Colt Agent snub, moderate expansion out of a 4" Colt Police Positive. The expansion with this bullet at .38 velocities is very mild, especially since the exact same projectile is loaded into the .357 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    In my water bag testing with the Hornady Custom loading using this bullet, I got minimal expansion out of a 2" Colt Agent snub, moderate expansion out of a 4" Colt Police Positive. The expansion with this bullet at .38 velocities is very mild, especially since the exact same projectile is loaded into the .357 Mag.
    If water will not make it expand nothing will.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I've got great expansion in its "Extrema" loading...

Out of a Marlin 1894C carbine.

What I do like about it is it's light recoil, even in a J-frame. And, although it doesn't get great expansion, it does get good penetration...it's not a bad choice for the recoil sensitive.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Thanks for the input guys. It seems like there are better choices out there.

Links