Question.... Corbon 185 gr 45 acp...

This is a discussion on Question.... Corbon 185 gr 45 acp... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was digging though some boxes and came across a full box of Corbon 185 gr JHP. I gave it to a friend and he ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By lyodbraun
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 2 Post By Taurahe
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By denclaste

Thread: Question.... Corbon 185 gr 45 acp...

I was digging though some boxes and came across a full box of Corbon 185 gr JHP. I gave it to a friend and he gave it back saying it wouldn't chamber in his 1911 ( Scandium frame S&W E series ). I brought it home and tried it in my Springfield, and it seems to chamber fine. I looked at it and it seems to be belted in some fashion? Is this normal, and why would it feed in one gun and not the other?

It looks like this...

CB4518520.jpg
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Some guns are picky eaters just how it goes.... Shoot it up since it works in your guns....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Bad Bob likes this.

I've heard a lot of good things about that round. I was considering it, but I'm hesitant to get away from 230 grn.
    USM1976 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Some guns are picky eaters just how it goes.... Shoot it up since it works in your guns....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    It literally wont chamber though.... as in the gun will not go into battery. I have never seen that before.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about that round. I was considering it, but I'm hesitant to get away from 230 grn.
    As have I but I prefer heavy for caliber bullets. I shoot 230 gr and I am not interested in shooting less.
    USM1976 and blitzburgh like this.
    ~Daniel Webster

Had a Les Baer that did not like SWC's. The chamber may a tad tighter than your Springfield.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I can't say anything about that ammunition chambering properly but it's plain to see that it's one potent horse of a .45 ACP load. While I too lean toward the heavy end of bullet weights available for any particular handgun cartridge, there's a lot of .45 ACP goodness in that screamer of a "light" bullet load.
    Bad Bob and Taurahe like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The issue with the Cor-Bon 185 Gr bullets is it cannot be bigger than 185 gr as it is all copper and really physically the same size as a 230GR bullet. Yes, some guns are picky and that is why for Social Ammo you need to run a couple hundred thru the gun to insure flawless function. They work well in my G-21 and 1911.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    The issue with the Cor-Bon 185 Gr bullets is it cannot be bigger than 185 gr as it is all copper and really physically the same size as a 230GR bullet. Yes, some guns are picky and that is why for Social Ammo you need to run a couple hundred thru the gun to insure flawless function. They work well in my G-21 and 1911.
    If it's the round pictured in the OP, it's not the all copper DPX--it's a conventional JHP.

However, I will say that the Barnes 185gr (aka DPX) is one of the most problematic loads I've ever run across, vis a vis feeding issues; I've had a couple of pistols that would feed pretty much everything choke on them.

If the rounds actually are DPX, that would make a fair amount of sense...but it could be his buddy's pistol just doesn't like those rounds, even if they are conventional JHP's...it happens.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    It's not belted. The groove you see almost mid-way is a cannelure. It doesn't affect loading. Some 1911's are finicky on the types of bullets fed through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    If it's the round pictured in the OP, it's not the all copper DPX--it's a conventional JHP.

However, I will say that the Barnes 185gr (aka DPX) is one of the most problematic loads I've ever run across, vis a vis feeding issues; I've had a couple of pistols that would feed pretty much everything choke on them.

If the rounds actually are DPX, that would make a fair amount of sense...but it could be his buddy's pistol just doesn't like those rounds, even if they are conventional JHP's...it happens.
    They are indeed JHP and not the all copper bullets
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    ~Daniel Webster

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Per a previous discussion with a CB guy, these were developed for short barreled 45s, as the 230 grain does not develop the proper velocity with the shorties. Seems to be a sound idea, but it makes me wonder, if you tend to a short barreled 45 and thus require a lighter bullet, would you be better off switching to another caliber? Also what are the disadvantages, if any, of shooting these in a full size 45?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Not if you're interested in entrance holes on the large size.
    Taurahe likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'm not a fan of of the Corbon 45 JHPs. Pocket Guns and Gear: Corbon 45 Auto +P 230 Grain JHP Denim and Clear Gel tests If a 230 grain JHP at +P doesn't expand from a 5" barrel, something is seriously wrong with the bullet design.

Now the 9mm 125 +P was a much different story. It tested really well. Pocket Guns and Gear: CORBON 9mm +P 125 Grain Denim and Clear Gel Terminal test
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

It will also depend on the chamber reamer used and whether the ammo was produced for min,med,or max SAMMI chambers.His Smith just doesn't like that ammo and if we knew exactly why we would be very rich by answering that question. They work in yours so blast them up.
    Taurahe likes this.

Sponsored Links