327 Federal Magnum

327 Federal Magnum

This is a discussion on 327 Federal Magnum within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really thought this round would have taken off.....I owned a Tarsus small 6 shot revolver..when they first rolled out...traded it off...not because i didn't ...

Thread: 327 Federal Magnum

327 Federal Magnum

I really thought this round would have taken off.....I owned a Tarsus small 6 shot revolver..when they first rolled out...traded it off...not because i didn't like it..but a fellow liked more than me...I just never got around to purchase another one..and when I did ..they where gone...a owner of a LGS ..swears by the round and its capabilities...he carry's a Ruger SP101 in the caliber ....

The concept of a 6 shot J frame ..and a 7 Shot "D" frame is a sound one..

100gr 32 caliber bullet @ 1850fps ( barrel length ?) and the option of using 32 Longs and 32 H&R ammo...

And the revolvers in this caliber are selling at premium + prices

Yeah, that .327 Magnum really deserves a measure of popularity. A lot of fun could be had with a .327 Magnum revolver. I have other .32 guns but no .327 Magnum. Best I can muster is a .32-20, which ain't half bad with "generously" but carefully assembled handloads.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I thought a lever gun and a revolver would make a nice combo out in the field.

Several years ago while browsing in the local sporting goods store, the dude behind the gun counter was packing a .327 mag revolver. I saw it and asked what he was carrying, but didn't get a close look. I don't remember the model, if he even told me. Anyway, I do remember not seeing any ammo for that caliber on the shelves. I assumed his revolver was loaded so he found some ammo somewhere. I wonder now, how available is the .327 mag ammo today?

I think it's just that it was never widely-enough used to develop a good reputation for stopping power. Too bad, because it's probably great in this regard and would make for a nice, compact six-shot with minimal recoil.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

I saw some at the LGS a while back, 50 rd box american eagle soft point for 26 dollars.
    If it stays that way, my next purchase is a SW TRR8. /fingers crossed/
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I see good availability on that caliber in the bigger box stores like Cabelas, Scheels, Gander, etc. Never see it at Wal-Mart. It's going to be a niche caliber, one I'd really like to like.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
    I see good availability on that caliber in the bigger box stores like Cabelas, Scheels, Gander, etc. Never see it at Wal-Mart. It's going to be a niche caliber, one I'd really like to like.
    Surprisingly, saw a good stock at one busy LGS the other day -- both the 85gr low-recoil Federals and the 100 and 85 gr Am Eagles, as well as some selection of .32 H&R. Really like the .327 caliber, and hope they get back into production at some point.

For the recoil issue, the hotter .32 H&R's like BB seem pretty good (in the trade-off between decent power and recoil), especially out of all-steel .327 guns. 'Course, .327 is not a low recoiling round, except compared to .357 mag. Still, .327 is not bad in the federal low-recoil rounds (85 gr), and handles tolerably well in the 100 gr standard pressure rounds (e.g., GDHP's).

Hmmm ... Wonder how that S&W Pro (2" bbl) j-frame shoots …? Ya'll got me thinking again ......

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    My wife carries a J frame Smith in .32 S&W Long that I had the cylinder bored to accept the .32 mag. I handload a 85gr jhp with a pretty stiff load of Green Dot and it is pretty potent little gun. A gallon jug of water acts like a grenade went off inside it.

agalindo
    My mom carries a taurus 6 shot 327. Nice gun I've shot it before and now a want one. Nice and slim.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dugo View Post
    Surprisingly, saw a good stock at one busy LGS the other day -- both the 85gr low-recoil Federals and the 100 and 85 gr Am Eagles, as well as some selection of .32 H&R. Really like the .327 caliber, and hope they get back into production at some point.

For the recoil issue, the hotter .32 H&R's like BB seem pretty good (in the trade-off between decent power and recoil), especially out of all-steel .327 guns. 'Course, .327 is not a low recoiling round, except compared to .357 mag. Still, .327 is not bad in the federal low-recoil rounds (85 gr), and handles tolerably well in the 100 gr standard pressure rounds (e.g., GDHP's).

Hmmm ... Wonder how that S&W Pro (2" bbl) j-frame shoots …? Ya'll got me thinking again ......
    I went through a brief phase where I really wanted one of these, and I did a lot of research. The 2" 632 Pro does lose a good chunk of velocity. The caliber was designed for a 3" barrel, and tolerances are pretty tight. You gain a lot from a longer barrel, and the 3" is the sweet spot.

Still, even with a 150 fps loss or so, that's still a solid thumper with that all-important sixth shot.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

I think it will be around for a while ... But it is a really nich round that was just looking for a reason to be ... There was no real expersed purpose to make this round ...

After dealing with 5.7 for a long time ( back when only FN was making ammo for it ) I came to relzie I dont want to deal with a odd ball round unless I need it for a good reason... But hey if you can find it and like it good for you ...

I would like to try it I will adment I miss out someone local was selling a jframe in it with like 600 rounds .. Should have grab that
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Sponsored Links