Cor Bon 185 JHP .45ACP in Slim Hawg NG

This is a discussion on Cor Bon 185 JHP .45ACP in Slim Hawg NG within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been carrying my Para Slim Hawg .45 for about 2 weeks with Remington 230g FMJ, and decided to try some of those Cor Bon 185 ...

Thread: Cor Bon 185 JHP .45ACP in Slim Hawg NG

Been carrying my Para Slim Hawg .45 for about 2 weeks with Remington 230g FMJ, and decided to try some of those Cor Bon 185 JHP in her. I bought a box today and loaded it up. There is no way no how this pistol will feed the Cor Bon round. The bullet slams into the bottom of the feed ramp everytime. Im going back to 230g hardball which feeds 100%. Lucky that the Cor Bon feeds perfect in my S&W 4516 which has now become a home defense gun.
    Last edited by bluesteel; December 29th, 2006 at 08:18 PM.
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

Too bad about the DPX. It's a great round and has has always fed well in my USP compact. Of course, this sort of thing is why it's important to test defensive loads before using them.

Rather than going back to hardball, why not try some expanding bullets with a FMJ profile? I'm thinking of the Cor-Bon Pow'RBall or the Federal EFMJ. If the Slim Hawg feeds hardball, odds are pretty good that it will feed those rounds.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Too bad about the DPX. It's a great round and has has always fed well in my USP compact. Of course, this sort of thing is why it's important to test defensive loads before using them.

Rather than going back to hardball, why not try some expanding bullets with a FMJ profile? I'm thinking of the Cor-Bon Pow'RBall or the Federal EFMJ. If the Slim Hawg feeds hardball, odds are pretty good that it will feed those rounds.
    I agree they should be at tried, esp the pow'r'ball

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteel View Post
    Been carrying my Para Slim Hawg .45 for about 2 weeks with Remington 230g FMJ, and decided to try some of those Cor Bon 185 JHP in her. I bought a box today and loaded it up. There is no way no how this pistol will feed the Cor Bon round. The bullet slams into the bottom of the feed ramp everytime. Im going back to 230g hardball which feeds 100%. Lucky that the Cor Bon feeds perfect in my S&W 4516 which has now become a home defense gun.
    Were these the standard JHPs that Corbon makes or the DPX line?

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Were these the standard JHPs that Corbon makes or the DPX line?
    The box says 45 auto +p 185gr JHP
    product #SD45185/20

Cor Bon

The plain JHP has a wide hollow point and a flat front. IIRC it's a Sierra bullet. Known to be difficult to feed in some guns. I like the round and shoot it in my Marlin Camp Carbine .45 with fine results. I'd suggest taking your pistol to the gunsmith with a box of this ammo. It's possible they could set it up to feed that specific round, and should cost about $20 or $30 in my area. You might try a different magazine, too. I'm not sure about compatibilty, but maybe try a Wilson or Chip McCormick if they make one for that gun. (late night at work, is it an Officers size frame?) The Remington 185gr JHP +P, the Remington 185gr +P Gold Saber, and the 185gr +P Gold Dot are good loads with round noses, thicker jackets, and smaller hollow points that feed well in lots of guns. Neither of these break up as fast or fragment like the Cor-Bon, if that's important to you. I personally don't mind if a load fragments, sheds the jacket and breaks up the core a little, although it makes a difference to some. That's what opinions are for. Best of luck.

I'd replace the springs in the magazine to +5 or +10% variety, then retry the DPX. Save the original springs for back-ups or for use in range magazines. Getting to feed non-standard 1911's (less than 5" barrels) can be a challenge at times -- they were never designed to be such animals with the link set-up and, well, that's another thing altogether...

Good Luck:

Dead
    1911 Magazine Solution (7 for carry - 8 for fun).Use seven round magazines/flat follower with dimple, 11 lb magazines springs - PERIOD! Don't blame the 1911 platform if you have FtF, FtE, or anything else magazine related. THIS IS BROWNING'S DESIGN - YOU ARE WARNED! Avatar = KaBoom! G21

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Would suggest that you NOT carry 230gr HB for your CC load. There has gotta be a HP load out there that your weapon will feed reliably.

There is a gazillion choices. -----

The pistol in question has a very steep angled feed ramp. I have put many rounds of hardball through the gun with 100% reliability. I believe the problem is with the nose of the Cor Bon HP. I will look for a high performance bullet which more closely resembles a round nose and it should handle them fine. When I load the Cor Bons into my S&W 4516 there is no hesitation when it strips off a round.

VIP Member
    I agree 100% with RSSZ....don't care that people still swear that they all fall to hardball...if the Corbon profiles just don't work with your Para, try Winchester Ranger/SXT 185 or 230 grain JHPs or Remington Golden Saber. You might get lucky with one of those rounds.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I use 185 Winchester Silver Tips in my Warthog. I tried CorBon +P with no luck.

If you're looking for something with a rounded profile try remington golden sabers. When I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry II, I had the same problem until I started carrying these and had no more problems.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Try either a new recoil spring or switch to Magtech 185 +P. It delivers over 460 ft. lbs @ muzzle (5") and expands well.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I would suggest Golden Sabers or the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket rounds.

I myself have never had any good luck with Corbon ammo. All of it I have tried seems to feed badly or I have hard primers. I gave up on them a long time ago. I am very happy with my Federal, Remington and Winchester ammo.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

sometimes that the way it goes. you got to try different types of ammo with your gun to see which one feeds, shoots, and groups the best. when you find that ammo, then it is the one that i would carry. look at it this way, you will get more time at the range with your gun.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sponsored Links