Multiple Calibers vs. Minimal Calibers???

This is a discussion on Multiple Calibers vs. Minimal Calibers??? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread is not designed to start a caliber debate. Just to bring out good points to help me decide how to build my collection. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Multiple Calibers vs. Minimal Calibers???

This thread is not designed to start a caliber debate. Just to bring out good points to help me decide how to build my collection. When answering, you should know that my intended priorities are:

1st Self Defense
    2nd making sure I can reload or buy factory ammo in sufficient quantities
    3rd hunting game to provide food in a survival scenario

What are your thoughts on caliber choices when adding to your arsenal?

Do you feel it is better to have a couple different caliber options in your cabinet?

OR does it make more sense to stick to 1 caliber or as few Calibers as possible?

Do you change your opinion on the above questions depending on whether we are talking about handguns or rifles or shotguns?

I am hoping to find some very interesting points of view that will help me develop a good plan that will serve me best.

2. Remove Ads

I have 2 schools of thought on this. First, if you have multiple calibers you can usually allows find ammo to feed at least one of them. Buying multiple calibers in a SHTF scenerio means you would have barter ammo that someone might need and you can trade for something you need. I have 6 different caliber handguns and ammo for all of them. Flip side, a single caliber would allow you to only concentrate on finding the single caliber you need. Pros ons both ways.
    40Bob and mcp1810 like this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

When i bought my first firearm it was a Ruger SR40C. really nice .40S&W. this was late Nov 2012. Soon after that i noticed that 9mm started disappearing (.40 Too). But even at the peak of the shortage i had at least 300 rounds of target ammo and 40 rounds of SD. Right now its getting a little better (though prices have risen in a few weeks) I have enough for a good day at range and enough SD to hold off a home invasion.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

The answer is........ It depends.
    I keep it simple. .22 and 9mm
    But nothing wrong with having options.
    emawildcat likes this.

Revolvers

S&W .38 Special/.357 magnum's and a Dillon reloader. Advantages are versatility, availability, resale-ability of both gun and ammo. Keep a years supply of components on hand. I learned this lesson in 1994.

Distinguished Member
    IMO, a little variety is good. But I think I'll keep small/simple, down to 2-3 calibers for each - handgun/rifles. I like the idea of having more than one option, but also like to keep it small enough so I can be decently stocked for each caliber.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

As far as availability and reloading prospects: 9mm, 45 ACP and 40 S&W. They suffice for SD as well. For hunting? With a handgun? I hope you don't mean dear or bigger? But a 9mm could kill small game. "Could" because you'd have to be a good shot with a handgun long range.

I'd recommend getting a 9mm handgun since ammo is cheap from the factory and can be reloaded (if you can find powder nowadays). And get a hunting rifle or .22 LR Ruger 10/22 for hunting/survival purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No end of the world scenario needed for this--if you want more than one caliber get more than one caliber; if you want only one caliber, get only one caliber.

But in the end of the world scenario, do you want to be in a "can only use one caliber if you can find it"; or "can use almost any caliber if you can find it"?
    DetChris likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    I made the decision to stick to one pistol caliber (9mm) because it's fairly cheap to shoot. I like to shoot so round cost matters over time and I can and do reload it For rifle I have both .223 and 7.62, both easy to find. I really don't do much in the way of zombies or end of the world but I do have enough .22 ' s to trade for whatever caliber I want.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

VIP Member
    Not so long ago, there wasn't a round of 9mm to be had on the shelves, while I was able to find an ample supply of 10mm. Suffice to say, I was carrying and training with the 10mm for awhile.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I got up to twenty-one calibers and decided to cull the herd and downsize. The good news is I am down to fourteen calibers. The bad news is I currently have two more guns than when I started downsizing.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

Also reload keep componets on hand

In rifles, you should have a .22lr and a .223 or 5.56. If you are a large game hunter (deer), a .308. In pistols, a .22lr, 9mm and a 45 ACP. And a .357 Mag revolver. I think you also need a 12 gauge pump to round out the arsenal. Those calibers and weapons will cover most self defensive, survival, and sporting needs. They are all fairly common and easy to find except for .22lr at this time. All the center fires are easy to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    I have 2 schools of thought on this. First, if you have multiple calibers you can usually allows find ammo to feed at least one of them. Buying multiple calibers in a SHTF scenerio means you would have barter ammo that someone might need and you can trade for something you need. I have 6 different caliber handguns and ammo for all of them. Flip side, a single caliber would allow you to only concentrate on finding the single caliber you need. Pros ons both ways.
    IMO bartering ammo in a shtf scenario would be a very bad idea, unless you trust the person 100%.

I have quite a few calibers, but do not see it as en either or-I must stock ample amounts of every caliber I shoot vs. I must have fewer calibers so I can adequately stock them.
    I stock my main calibers heavily with components-9,45,223,30/06.

Others I just enjoy shooting and reloading for-303 Brit, 45 Colt, 410, 12, 357, 380.

So yeah, if the world ends, I would be insufficiently supplied with many calibers, but my main ones are fine.
    I can't limit my enjoyment just because I think I might need a boatload of ammo for every single firearm I play with. I just stock the most important. How many rounds for a Blackhawk 45 Colt could I possibly need anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links