10mm Ammo advice needed

10mm Ammo advice needed

This is a discussion on 10mm Ammo advice needed within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm now the proud owner of a S&W 610 revolver. I plan on using it as an open carry gun at the gunshop where ...

10mm Ammo advice needed

OK, I'm now the proud owner of a S&W 610 revolver. I plan on using it as an open carry gun at the gunshop where I work. Neatness factor has a lot to do with it, as well as teaching some young guys a lesson about revolver shooting older guys. I'm looking for a good defense load, BUT.....
    I'm still partly suffering from a strong hand injury. My 1911 is no problem, the Glock 19 effortless to shoot, but I get some pain when shooting too heavy of a load. Tried the new 750gr .500 S&W and the .460 snub and it was very painful. .44 magnums hurt without rubber grips. Is there a 10mm load that is powerful, without too much recoil? Right now, I've been loading it with the only load in stock, 180gr Hydra-Shok, but it's a mild load. Not up to the potential of a real 10mm. I was looking at the Double Tap stuff as recommended, and some of the loads seem HOT. Anybody with any experience able to comment on the felt recoil? Compare it to a .44 or .357mag? Is there a "medium hot" load? I have a feeling I'll have to end up not carrying it for a while if they shoot as hot as they look on paper (750+ foot-pounds!)
    Thank you all for your comments and help.

till ya heal up i would stick with the hydra shock double tap is not quite hot but loaded to what the 10mm was when it first came out

so comparing it to the fodder they tell us is 10mm it seems way hot

Until your hand mends stick with the Hydrashocks. The "lightest" of the real 10 rounds would be the 135 grain JHPs from double tap. You even fired a couple if you remember. They are 357 mag hot but are at least lighter than the 165, 180 and 200 grain offerring which would really punish you now.

It doesn't help that you are using a revolver with no action besides you to soak up any energy from the recoil.

There are lots of loads and manufacturers around making moderate 10mm ammo......just Google it......and save some money.
    You can buy the moderate lower priced stuff to play and save the wrist, and get the better stuff for the shop. You can probably get buy without shooting a lot of the faster stuff, to get your P.O.A. and P.O.I. down, for the shop carry.....thus saving the hand.

I have

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    ...."powerful,without too much recoil ?"

Hmmmm ??? -----

VIP Member
    I'm with the majority on this one. Stay with the Hydrashocks. They may be a mild 10mm load, but they are still well within the adequate range for self defense.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Cor-Bon 155gr DPX would be my recommendation...

Dead
    1911 Magazine Solution (7 for carry - 8 for fun).Use seven round magazines/flat follower with dimple, 11 lb magazines springs - PERIOD! Don't blame the 1911 platform if you have FtF, FtE, or anything else magazine related. THIS IS BROWNING'S DESIGN - YOU ARE WARNED! Avatar = KaBoom! G21

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Winchester 175-grain Silvertips are also more than adequate for personal defense and not too hard on the hand....accurate, too, at least for me.

Good luck with the hand and God Bless.

10mm

Yes, powerful without any recoil.
    With the reliability of a Sig, the size of an NAA, magazine capacity like a Glock 18, and an RG-22 price tag?

Seriously, I'm picking the 180gr Hydra Shok for now, squeezing tennis balls for my hand, and placing an order for the 135gr DT. IIRC I fired some for Musketeer into wet newspaper from a Glock 20 with great results. Not sure about how much the action of the Glock soaked up the recoil. He was the one that got me interested in the 10 anyway. He was carrying a Delta Elite with full power ammo back in the old days while everybody was crying that the round had punishing recoil, broke guns, and caused global warming. I think the whole .40 S&W thing put him to sleep due to intense boredom.

I'm waiting on a holster now anyway. For some reason there's not a lot of left-handed N frame holsters in stock to choose from. What's the deal with that?

Thanks to all for the advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    ...and caused global warming.

I'm waiting on a holster now anyway. For some reason there's not a lot of left-handed N frame holsters in stock to choose from. What's the deal with that?

You missed sterility. I hand't heard the last one about global warming. It must have been tied to some sort of ban pushed by Al Gore.

Give up your sinister ways and follow the RIGHT path!

Bullet design is more important than velocity/foot lbs. There are a few new generation bullets that DO NOT need maximum velocity to penetrate to desired depths and expand to maximum diameters...

Bullet caliber/weight/velocity = recoil and follow-up accuracy...

Why not use a state-of-the-art bullet design and avoid the extra recoil? Sure, I can push my 10mm with 155gr Double-Tap Gold Dots and my reloads to 1450 f/s, but I can get the same performance with the Cor-Bon DPX 155gr @ 1200 f/s with less recoil to both the shooter and the weapon...

The only thing I give up is that higher muzzle energy (felt effect to the BG), but at 496 ft/lbs with the DPX, it'll do in a handgun...

Dead
    1911 Magazine Solution (7 for carry - 8 for fun).Use seven round magazines/flat follower with dimple, 11 lb magazines springs - PERIOD! Don't blame the 1911 platform if you have FtF, FtE, or anything else magazine related. THIS IS BROWNING'S DESIGN - YOU ARE WARNED! Avatar = KaBoom! G21

VIP Member
    My DW 1911 likes Doubletap (DT) 165 grain Golden Saber best; I may give DT's 155 grain loads another try to see; I only fired about 100 each of those and the 165 grain loads....and noticed that my gun was marginally more accurate with the Golden Saber.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links