380 acp

This is a discussion on 380 acp within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just moved to the sig p238 and would like the current view on 380 ammo for defense. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: 380 acp

380 acp

Just moved to the sig p238 and would like the current view on 380 ammo for defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Remove Ads

While not my first choice, I have no doubt they would get the job done if I do my part. I only keep two .380's around these days and it's the Walther PPK that gets the nod if I really need to dress around a gun. When I carry it, it's loaded with FMJ instead of JHP.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    The Sig is a fine weapon. I prefer 9MM or larger but choice is yours. Sig makes the 938 ( almost what you have in 9MM). The .380 is same bullet size as 9MM (.355or .356 diameter )smaller case and typical lighter weight bullet 90gr vs 115,124 grain. With good quality ammo ( SD ) you should be fine.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

This guy did pretty good testing, and came up with five loads that meet FBI criteria for penetration with expansion, and a few others that were close.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    FMJ / ball
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I have my Glock 42 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. Should do the trick - penetration followed by rapid expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    The Sig is a fine weapon. I prefer 9MM or larger but choice is yours. Sig makes the 938 ( almost what you have in 9MM). The .380 is same bullet size as 9MM (.355or .356 diameter )smaller case and typical lighter weight bullet 90gr vs 115,124 grain. With good quality ammo ( SD ) you should be fine.
    And about half the amount of powder in each case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    zonker1986 likes this.

I mostly carry a P938, EMP or Glock 26 but somedays I just need something smaller. When I do, I carry my P238. I don't feel any concern. I am so accurate with that little gun. I know I will hit my target if needed and where I need to hit 'em. Practice, Practice, Practice and it won't matter as much how big the caliber. Do watch the YouTube video posted above and get some good ammo. It is a great video and I chose my ammo based on this same video.
    DanielC likes this.

i use good old fmj ball ammo in my 380 acp.
    gottabkiddin, Fizban and ETXhiker like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Easy to carry, but though is a sharp stick.

Any fire arm you carry is better than not carrying it at all. A larger caliber that you will leave at home because it is not comfortable for you is worthless. Choose your weapon wisely.
    Garrett92 likes this.

I just picked up this same gun for deep carry. I was dead set against going smaller than 9mm, however after the ammo shortage and wanting to diversify, and wanting something smaller than a CM9 I went with the P238. I am 10x more accurate and recoil is all but non-existent. For Defense rounds I use Horandy Critical Defense and would definitely not want to be tagged with one. For target plinking I use HPR 100gr TMJ. I am still watching for a 938 just to satisfy my original rule, however I am both impressed and satisfied with the 238.

In .380ACP, I'd opt for the flat-nosed FMJ for carry. Hitting the vitals is going to be an effort with the round, so give it all the advantage you can and apply as many rounds as needed to stop the fight.
    StormRhydr and rammerjammer like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

There are decent SD loads for .380 out there. As far as caliber is concerned I don't recommend going below 9mm. IMO .380 is fun to shoot and great for target practice, but not the best choice for self defense.

95 Gr FMJ always worked for me.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array SigIsTheAnswer's Avatar
    .380 is fine. And you have a top shelf pistol also. The P238 is a great little gun. I want one badly to replace my S&W BG. Use some Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot. Both are great rounds. But have no fear on the abilities of your firearm. It will perform as long as you perform.
    Pinot likes this.
    Sig Sauer P516, Sig Sauer P229 Scorpion ,Sig Sauer M11-A1 TB, Beretta PX4 Storm compact, FN Five SeveN 5.7, Glock 30 Gen 3
    Glock 26 Gen 4

Semper Fi USMC 0341/8152 2003-2007
    Army National Guard 11C 2009-2014

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links