Bulk Ammunition, FMJ or HP?

This is a discussion on Bulk Ammunition, FMJ or HP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a VZ-58/2008 on the way in as we speak. I also seem to have a vast shortage of 7.62x39 laying around the house, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SgtRick

Thread: Bulk Ammunition, FMJ or HP?

Bulk Ammunition, FMJ or HP?

I have a VZ-58/2008 on the way in as we speak.

I also seem to have a vast shortage of 7.62x39 laying around the house, as such, I'm going to need to order a good quantity of ammunition shortly.

It seems both the HP and FMJ rounds are for the most part the same price (cheap-steel-cased goodness). My question being wich would you go with?

Would you worry about possibly sometime in the future penetrating hard/soft armor? Or would you rather enjoy the benefit of a round that opens up somewhat?

I'm not sure these cheap HP would even open up in the first place...

2. Remove Ads

I only buy FMJ in bulk. I use it for range ammo and shoot more of it so it makes sense to buy it like that. I pick up HP whenever I find it at a good price and just add it to the stash.
    BlackStallion29 likes this.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

I generally buy FMJ or RN (round nose) in bulk as range ammo. I do shoot my carry ammo a few times a year, but it is expensive and I like to shoot. Comparing .40 cal 165 gr HP and 180 gr RN (different manufacturers) at 3 yards the difference in point of impact was about 2". But, at 25 yards there was no perceivable difference based on plate sized groups.

So, from a very practical perspective I am able to shoot more, and more often, using the less expensive bulk ammo (that I wouldn't use as a defensive load except as a last resort) to hone my skills. It's not the only ammo I purchase, but its what I use the most of.

Distinguished Member
    I tend to find the FMJ a lot cheaper around these parts. I don't order much because I can usually beat the prices locally. I try to keep a few hunderd rounds of HP and don't shoot it very often so the majority of purchases will be FMJ.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

From what I have seen is most x39 rounds dont expand all that much ...I would do FMJ and soft point round ...Maybe some old steel core china/euro ak rounds that have a bit more punch ...

I know some of the romiainin rounds are a lauqer coated .. Maybe some more cleaing but rounds are long term sealed for mosuiter
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

In regards to the x39, FMJ. I don't bother with the HP's.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I use FMJ sometimes and I buy it from hlammo.

Links