XDs 9mm SD ammo , where to start?

This is a discussion on XDs 9mm SD ammo , where to start? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok folks that have the Xds 9mm, question for you. I know we have to try different ammo to see what my wife's new gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: XDs 9mm SD ammo , where to start?

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Ok folks that have the Xds 9mm, question for you. I know we have to try different ammo to see what my wife's new gun likes. Unfortunately SD ammo around here is scarce and expensive when you find it. We have a little bit on hand for my wife's px4 but didn't want to use it up and leave the px4 without food. The px4 seemed to shoot most of what we feed it. What are you Xds folks having luck with. A place online I've bought from before have some what I would consider decent 9mm in stock and not bad prices imho. I'm not interested in +p ammo.Here are a few I was considering that I could order today. I don't mind ordering a couple different ones but I don't want to go crazy.

Rem GS 124gr $13.95 /25rnds
    Rem GS 147gr $31.95/50rnds
    Fed 124gr $28.95/50rnds
    Hornady 135gr Critical duty $26.95 /50rnd

Also am I correct in that the 147gr would have less recoil? I know with my revolvers the higher the bullet weight the less recoil. I'm thinking the same would apply for the 9 in the little XDs. I also find it interesting that most practice ammo is 115gr while all the different sd weights.

my XDs .45 feeds everything i give it. I would expect the 9 to do the same. I have used golden sabre and hornady z max, and federal hydrashok.
    Eric357 likes this.

Anything that fires flawless in your gun.
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    underwood ammo had some SD ammo in stock a while ago but I am not sure what they have now. I would think the 147 grain would have more recoil but I might be wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Anything that fires flawless in your gun.
    Yep. I realize that. Just was wanting to see what others had luck with in their xds.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock2201 View Post
    underwood ammo had some SD ammo in stock a while ago but I am not sure what they have now. I would think the 147 grain would have more recoil but I might be wrong on that.
    You might be right. It just seemed to me in my .357 that most 158 gr had less recoil than most 125. I have only shot my wife's px4 9mm a few times so I thought maybe the same applied as with my revolver.

Hey Chris,

Usually when I get a new weapon I call manufacturer an ask what they recommend. I usually get some great advice an new ideas.

I'm not Chris , but thanks for the advice. I never thought about calling them.

Sorry about that got you confused it happens at my age :)

Not a problem.

Distinguished Member
    In my SC Sig P250 in 9mm I couldn't really notice any difference in recoil vs weight when comparing same brand/style rounds. I've carried Hornady Duty and Defense, HST's, GS's, Winchester Silvertip, and Gold Dots in my Sig, a Ruger P95, and now my 92FS. Too me If it feeds well, and is a major name SD round, I'm comfortable it will do the job. I just buy whatever is available at a price I can afford.

Whatever you settle on, run at least a hundred rounds through your XDs to be certain it will perform.
    Eric357 likes this.

With my SIG 9mm the 147 grain ammo has much more recoil than the 115 grain, or it seems so to me.

For defensive ammo, I prefer Hornady Critical Defense, Duty, Federal Premium Personal Defense, and Corbon DPX - all in 115 grain.

When in doubt, go heavy.

And I've found that 147gr defensive loads have less recoil than the lighter weight, warp-speed defensive loads (not really fair comparing it to plinking ammo).

Not only that, the heavier bullet will do better getting good penetration at the lower velocities from a short barrel.

I'd avoid critical duty, as it is specifically designed for guns with longer barrels.
    Eric357 likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Some really good prices at SGAmmo.com
    9mm / 9x19 | SGAmmo.com
    Eric357 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Any 124gr-147gr bonded hollow point should work fine. Speer Gold Dot 124gr is an excellent choice as well! BTW, Winchester white box 147gr bonded hollow point can usually be found in boxes of 50 for about $19-$20 a box at Wallyworld. The ballistics of this load are identical to the Ranger 147gr load. Good luck!
    Last edited by 5lima30ret; March 26th, 2014 at 03:55 PM.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links