Golden bear 30-06?

This is a discussion on Golden bear 30-06? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone tried Golden bear ammo before? I never heard of it but found some on line for $12.99/20 rnds 30-06. I tried doing a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By WrongRecroom
  • 2 Post By PAcanis

Thread: Golden bear 30-06?

Distinguished Member Array Eric357's Avatar

Golden bear 30-06?

Has anyone tried Golden bear ammo before? I never heard of it but found some on line for $12.99/20 rnds 30-06. I tried doing a search but didn't come up with much. I'm not thinking of using it for hunting just maybe some fun shooting. I know, I know. Lately I'm just full of ammo questions.

2. Remove Ads

Russian ammo company

Golden Bear's name describes it's color but not its' unique construction; in which a brass coating encases the steel case. Case has an additional groove for easier linking.

This design allows the ammunition to perform like a brass case at a fraction of the cost. Berdan priming allows for long-term shelf life and sure-fire ignition. Muzzle velocity: 2,850 F.P.S. Muzzle energy: 2,614 ft.-lbs.

Casing - Berdan-primed brass-plated steel

Technical Information
    Caliber: 30-06 Springfield
    Bullet Weight: 145 Grains
    Bullet Style: Full Metal Jacket (Bi-Metal)
    Case Type: Brass Coated Steel Case

Ballistics Information
    Muzzle Velocity: 2445 fps

Notes:
    Since this ammunition is loaded with steel cases, the ring on the base of each piece of brass allows the case to expand upon firing. Since steel does not fire form like brass, this extra ring helps prevent the case from breaking into two pieces during firing.

This is steel case ammo some guns dont like it some do ...

Muzzle velocity: 2445 fps
    Bi metal jacketed bullet will attract a magnet
    Brass plated steel case
    Berdan primed
    Non corrosive
    Not reloadable
    Made in Russia
    Uses: Plinking, target shooting, hunting

More then likly based on above you will not be able to shoot it indores ( due to magnet )

'

But it is cheep ammo ( most russian stuff is ..for now ) and if your gun works with it .. Cheep way to stay in pratcie

Most any ammo marked ---Bear ( brown silver golden ) will be russian steel case ... Wolf gold is not it is brass case made in Tawian ... But most ammo marked Wolf-bear-tula etc etc is going to be russian ammo and made somewhere in that part of the world ( Romiainia/Russia/ Urkiane ) etc etc
    Eric357 likes this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Thanks. I don't know where you found that but my search came up very little. Ok I'm going to ask a dumb question that I don't understand. What does a magnet have to do with indoor ranges?

Yeah, a lot of guys pick that up at the range thinking it's reloadable. The cannelure (groove) gives it away.
    I had read the cannelure was put in to make the cartridge more adaptable to American GI weapons. Figuring the cannelure gives the case a place to stretch without catastophic failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric357 View Post
    Thanks. I don't know where you found that but my search came up very little. Ok I'm going to ask a dumb question that I don't understand. What does a magnet have to do with indoor ranges?
    Nothing if you are wearing your tin foil hat ;^)

The magnet tells you if the bullet has steel in it, in which case it is likely it will blow right through the backstops at an indoor range.
    WrongRecroom and Eric357 like this.

Yep most ranges wont will you shoot stuff that a magnet attracts to ( often steel core or non backstop ok stuff) ... So if your range does a magnet test then this will be a no go as PA said

So if you shoot many surplus rounds or 7.62x39 or 5.45 or 7.62x54 it it is something to be aware off .. I know for 5.45 there is only one round I know off that I am 100% sure would be range safe but a few more for the x39 ( but not the cheep stuff :) )

Thanks guys. I never gave it a thought. I just started using an indoor range last year. I use to use an outdoor range until they went under.

Links